Getting CCW Putnam County NY

This is a discussion on Getting CCW Putnam County NY within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone, just need a little advice. I am a permit holder in putnam county NY my permit is restricted to target and hunting as ...

Thread: Getting CCW Putnam County NY

Getting CCW Putnam County NY

Hey everyone, just need a little advice. I am a permit holder in putnam county NY my permit is restricted to target and hunting as all permits are first issued to everyone. My court date to see the judge is in a few months to get that restriction removed which will allow me to carry concealed. Now I have been reading up and I know it's an administrative restriction and I couldn't get charged with a crime if I do carry but I would rather just wait and get my carry and not risk it.

My question is when I see the judge can anyone give me any advice that is from putnam county who has seen the judge on what to say. I am basically planning on telling him I want to be able to have a carry because as a law abiding citizen I am a firm believer in the 2nd amendment and I want the ability to defend myself and my family.

2. Remove Ads

Good luck!

I am glad I live in Virginia. A good reason is protection or all proper purposes. Straight out of the New Hampshire non-resident permit application. I really don't know what would work in NY. Good luck.

Not familiar with your county but I would think that if you took a defensive pistol class that covers both laws and tactics it would probably be in your favor.

IMO "because It's my right" and "because I want to exercise the second amendment" are not good reasons to tell a judge.

He knows you're law abiding if you have a permit. I think where/when you plan to carry might be a good thing to tell him. As to why you want to CC, I think having a thought out answer may be more important than exactly what your reasons are.

Like I said, I don't know anything about your county but have talked to a few people that have had their restrictions removed in other counties. Hopefully someone here has seen the same judge.

Quote Originally Posted by AR15RiDaZ View Post
    Hey everyone, just need a little advice. I am a permit holder in putnam county NY my permit is restricted to target and hunting as all permits are first issued to everyone. My court date to see the judge is in a few months to get that restriction removed which will allow me to carry concealed. Now I have been reading up and I know it's an administrative restriction and I couldn't get charged with a crime if I do carry but I would rather just wait and get my carry and not risk it.

My question is when I see the judge can anyone give me any advice that is from putnam county who has seen the judge on what to say. I am basically planning on telling him I want to be able to have a carry because as a law abiding citizen I am a firm believer in the 2nd amendment and I want the ability to defend myself and my family.
    I'm from Orange Cty and when the judge asked me why I wanted to carry, I said to protect myself and my family. She said since my record was clean she saw no reason to deny my request and removed my restrictions. The whole thing couldn't have been more than 2 minutes. Hopefully someone from Putnam will be along to give you more specific advice. Good luck!

Whisky19

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Something with......'I understand personal responsibility and what it means to be responsible'......it would also help that just before the judge called you up, he threw the book at some career criminal for carrying illegally while committing a felony.....just my opinion of course. Good luck.....
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

My friend is in Broome County and they reccommend taking a $200 course before trying to have the restriction removed.

Perhaps someone from up there can chime in on what this is. The course is given in Rochester.

Thanks for the reply guys hopefully theres someone in putnam county who has personally delt with this to give me some advice. I wish i lived in dutchess county which is further north things would have been alot easier and they would just issue me my "full carry" without having to goto court.

Wow... NY is just one sorry state.. Hoops, hoops and more hoops.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Just be honest, and say you wish to be able to protect yourself and your family. Also, I would dress well (suit and tie, if possible), and having a course or two under your belt would not hurt!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Links