How long to wait in Louisiana?

This is a discussion on How long to wait in Louisiana? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, I was wondering how long it takes to receive a CWP through the LA. state police? My wife sent her application in about ...

Thread: How long to wait in Louisiana?

How long to wait in Louisiana?

Hey guys, I was wondering how long it takes to receive a CWP through the LA. state police? My wife sent her application in about 5 weeks ago and so far nothing.. How long did it take you guys? Is it possible permits are in more demand due to the election? Thanks!
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them. – Richard Henry Lee 1788

2. Remove Ads

It was almost 8 weeks to the day for me. Don't fret, these things take time.

I think things move a little slower in LA
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

VIP Member
    I think things move a little slower in LA
    Huh? Why?

Neither me or my son had any background, fingerprint issues that needed addressing or scrutinized.

My non-resident Florida permit took 62 days.
    His resident Louisiana permit took 48 days.

BTW I've been reading that permit apps have increased since November.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

All good things take time... Let us know when you get it.

I think mine took around 6 weeks. You can call the office in Baton Rouge and check on it. I called around week 5.
    “Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.”
    - Ronald Reagan

It took my wife and I 46 days from the time we submitted our applications and were fingerprinted at the Sheriff's office till our CHLs arrived. One of the officers said that applications were way up since the election, even more than when Ohio first instituted concealed carry a few years ago! A friend on mine, who took the class a week after I did, and submitted his application about two and a half weeks after my wife and I submitted ours, received his permit in just about 10 days. He lives in a rural county, whereas we live in a more urban county. Here in Ohio, you have to apply in the county in which you live or an adjacent county only. The election has definately had an impact on permit applications, as well as gun and ammo sales. That is one part of the economy BO has stimulated.

i sent mine nov 1st and recieved jan 15th, i had some holidays in between also, you can get on the website and call the office, they were friendly about telling me my status
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."
    Ted Nugent

Thanks for the info guys.. I didn't know you can call in for updates. Since it looks like most are taking roughly 6 weeks I'll have her call in about a week. Take Care..
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them. – Richard Henry Lee 1788

Banner year according to State Police

I submitted 3 permit apps for my family on August 27, 2011. Two came back in the past two weeks, mine is still out. I talked to the Concealed Carry Unit, who are INCREDIBLY nice, & they said it was a banner year for permits. I have a squeaky clean background, not even a speeding ticket..... this is just how long it's taking. Maybe a Christmas present???

Just wanted to say, according to the State Police, if you go to Baton Rouge to get your fingerprints done at the LSP headquarters it shortens the wait time to 3-4 weeks usually, instead of months submitting by mail.

Just wanted to update... got my permit in. Almost exactly 4 weeks, and that's with doing the prints in Baton Rouge at the HQ. My parents sent theirs in by mail on the 15th, so I will report back when they get them in.

Fast forward to 2014. I mailed mine in May 28 2013 and it's March 10, 2014 and I am still waiting on mine. I email them just to be sure they had received it in December 2013. Their reply was that they had received it and that they were working on it. Way to long of a wait in my opinion, especially in the days of the computer and the internet.

Links