MI CCW questions

This is a discussion on MI CCW questions within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First post. I'm a resident of Ohio (for the past six months) but my ID says Michigan. I'm only down here for school and do ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MI CCW questions

MI CCW questions

First post.

I'm a resident of Ohio (for the past six months) but my ID says Michigan. I'm only down here for school and do not plan on staying here. My permanent address is still in MI. I've been told I cannot purchase a handgun in the state of Ohio without an Ohio ID or CCW, and I cannot obtain a CCW from Ohio without an Ohio ID. So that leads me to getting my CCW in Michigan.

Ohio will waive the pistol safety requirements due to my military training. I'm not sure if Michigan will though (it doesn't look like it, but I can't find any clear answers online). If I took a CCW course (NRA) in Ohio would it be accepted in Michigan?

Or should I just suck it up and get an Ohio drivers license and save some money and time from waiving the firearms safety course? The MI CCW is also more expensive than OH's by around $50.

What do you guys think I should do?

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

o I'd say that $50 is small relative to the ramifications of changing your driver's license from MI to OH, so you shouldn't make a decision based upon the $50 difference.

o In my state the Motor Vehicle Department will issue ID cards that act as government-issued photo ID cards (but that don't grant driving privileges). If OH does this, why don't you get one of those to use as your OH ID?

Quote Originally Posted by mfcmb View Post
    o I'd say that $50 is small relative to the ramifications of changing your driver's license from MI to OH, so you shouldn't make a decision based upon the $50 difference.

o In my state the Motor Vehicle Department will issue ID cards that act as government-issued photo ID cards (but that don't grant driving privileges). If OH does this, why don't you get one of those to use as your OH ID?
    That is a wonderful idea! Thanks for your input!

I would stay with the Mi residency. MI has the highest number of states that honor it's permit, and that alone is worth it.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

It looks like you need to do some more research before you make a decision.

I suggest you start by finding out how long you can be in Ohio before that state requires that you have a Ohio drivers license. That may be what makes the decision for you...
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC4 View Post
    It looks like you need to do some more research before you make a decision.

I suggest you start by finding out how long you can be in Ohio before that state requires that you have a Ohio drivers license. That may be what makes the decision for you...
    Yes sir.

The residency thing is exempt, because I am in the military. Nobody says anything to me, and I routinely get waived for it.

I know of a place in Monroe, MI that offers the course. That's barely still inside MI...I'd just keep things as simples as possible and take the course there and get a MI CPL. Coincidentally, the place in Monroe was also the ceapest place I found for the course...that was a couple years ago though...
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Can you buy a handgun through the military?

If that pistol safety requirement is a class, I'd take it even if it's for a different state than your residency. The waiver is probably the result of people who don't know anything combined with officers who are trying to protect the enlisteds from mandatory anythings. You can still take the course voluntarily.

Get the MI CPL.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Just take the course.

You'll have a good time. I'm a retired Army MP. Ran pistol and rifle ranges. Taught pistol and rifle marksmanship. Took the course thinking "Oh hell, let's just get this over with." Let me tell you, I had fun. Lively discussions, good range time. Good interaction and met some real good people, and low and behold I actually learned a thing or two. Take the course, leave the holier than thou attitude at home (Not saying you have one but you know how us military types can get at times). You might have fun and you will for sure learn some new range drills.

Quote Originally Posted by 8Cylinders View Post
    First post.

I'm a resident of Ohio (for the past six months) but my ID says Michigan. I'm only down here for school and do not plan on staying here. My permanent address is still in MI. I've been told I cannot purchase a handgun in the state of Ohio without an Ohio ID or CCW, and I cannot obtain a CCW from Ohio without an Ohio ID. So that leads me to getting my CCW in Michigan.
    1) why not just buy the hand gun in Michigan? Of course that will require you to get a purchase permit from your local sheriff. Of course you won't be able to take it to OH with out the CPL.

2) buy the gun in Ohio and have it transferred to Michigan thru an FFl, again that will require a purchase permit from the local sheriff. Again, you won't be able to take it to OH.

3 can you get an Ohio id based on your school? Sort of like a school Id.

I guess getting your Michigan CPL would be best.

Just some thoughts that run thru my head.
    Eric

EM1(SS) Retired

For freedom is never free someone else just picks up tab.

Kimber Custom II
    Kimber Eclips Pro II
    Marlin Camp Rifle .45acp

A 9mm may expand but a .45acp won't shrink

Remember there are only two types of Ships in the Navy, SUBMARINES and Targets!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
    I would stay with the Mi residency. MI has the highest number of states that honor it's permit, and that alone is worth it.
    I'm with you on this. Get the Michigan License.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Michigan has a friendlier attitude toward concealed carry than does Ohio (the
    Cleveland Plain Dealer newspaper even proposed publishing the names of CCW
    holders in Ohio......neat, aye?). Go Michigan!

I know that my CCW instructor did not charge the $125 to anyone that was active or recently discharged military personnel

M&P9c
    SW99 40cal.
    SuperTuck

With all of your great advice I've decided to just get the Michigan license. I've considered everyone's input and it seems like this is the best way to go.

Anyone recommend any good CCW classes in Livingston or Washtenaw? :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links