A Card In My Wallet

This is a discussion on A Card In My Wallet within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by GreenHorn Or the card could or might as well say this: Hi my name is pikachu. I made this card because I ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: A Card In My Wallet

My Card

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHorn View Post
    Or the card could or might as well say this:

Hi my name is pikachu. I made this card because I was planning to use my gun to shoot someone someday. The end.

I don't think this is a good idea.
    Here's a little background with regard to my carrying a firearm since I have been a resident of Las Vegas.

For the first two years I lived here in Las Vegas I was an armed security officer. That job required me to attend a class which explained the legal ramifications in the event I discharged my duty weapon. At the time it was a .38 S/W model 10-8. That was the best gun I had owned at the time. That job "enlightened" me to the very serious consequences of carrying a firearm in the line of duty. That was a very rude awakening from a person who had never carried a firearm before as well.

Now that I am permit holder here in Nevada I am VERY serious about the circumstances when I may or may not remove my G26 from it's holster. The consequences could be fatal. But I should be able to avail myself of all my legal rights.

Granted the LEO's make take issue with my "handing them this card" but I would hope they would understand under the circumstances.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHorn View Post
    Or the card could or might as well say this:

Hi my name is pikachu. I made this card because I was planning to use my gun to shoot someone someday. The end.

I don't think this is a good idea.
    I think this is a little extreme, considering you could say the same thing about carrying the gun in the first place, i.e.:

"Hi my name is pikachu. I carry this gun because I was might have to use my gun to shoot someone someday. The end."

I think it shows some preparedness on your part, I agree it should probably be used as a memory jogger not a hand out and shut up item. But when it gets to court I would suspect there won't be any question as to what was said especially if no one else is around. But as I write this it also brings up a point that it may be looked at by the jury as a way to buy you time to fabricate your story.

Rick

VIP Member
    I agree that we shouldn't go into any details with the LEO although I think this card idea is bad. It could affect how a jury may perceive your mind-set. If you were compelled to present something, then I would give them an attorney’s card.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I agree with Saber, the card is a bad idea, it would be better to tell them what happened yourself and like everyone else said get some witnesses to talk to, but hopefully you will never have to be put in that situation.
    "When you have to shoot, Shoot! Don't talk."

Totally bad idea. You only have to remember 'I invoke my right to an attorney"
    not so hard to remember. Zip it, keep it zipped and carry your attorney's number on a card instead of that one!

Is it really all that hard to just politely say, "Under the circumstances, I'd rather not make any statement until I've had an opportunity to consult with my attorney."?
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    Even in a self defense situation, using that card could make it look like you were out looking for someone to shoot.
    Bingo...

Besides, one should remember those things anyway with a cue card.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu711 View Post
    Granted the LEO's make take issue with my "handing them this card" but I would hope they would understand under the circumstances.
    Nope. If you aren't known to them, you're a difficult weiner. If you give them reason to look hard enough, they will find...

The CHL course instructor I had here in Ohio said to say only " I was in fear for my life!" and "I want to speak to an attorney." Period. Nada. Nothing more, until your attorney is present and you have consulted with him.
    Richard58 likes this.

Basically what my instructor told us. He is a current veteran LEO and gave it from both sides. If you were to give a statement to the officer then changed your story one iota, the district attorney would tear you a new one in his cross examination, i.e... "were you lying then or are you lying now?" . Stressful situations and adrenaline can cloud memory, talk only to your lawyer, take the time needed to recount accurately the events, have him issue a statement.

Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    The CHL course instructor I had here in Ohio said to say only " I was in fear for my life!" and "I want to speak to an attorney." Period. Nada. Nothing more, until your attorney is present and you have consulted with him.
    That is the instructions I recieved in cch class in Kansas to the T.

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu711 View Post
    tns0038, you do raise valid point if I don't have anyone with me in the event I must discharge my G26 in self defense. The vast majority of the time I am alone. So any statements I make can be used against me. Until I locate an attorney who would at the least give me a telephone number for 24 hour contact, remaining silent might be the best thing I can do under the circumstances.

Thanks for your comments.
    But, don’t forget the other stuff.

Thanks God, I’ve never had to shoot anyone, but I have intervened criminals many times, both as an LEO, and as a civilian, and in some of those cases, the BG got an ambulance ride to the hospital, before he went to jail.

What I’ve done in the past, was to make a short statement of the facts to the responding officer, and gather witnesses.

Exception being if I was aiding an officer; Then he/she knew what just went down, and we would both use each other as a whiteness as to what just happen.

The card is a BAD IDEA,the only thing you tell the officer and make clear is that the other person was the BAD GUY,he attacked you and you want him arrested you were in fear of him killing you. after that be frank tell him your to shaken up and will not make any further comments until your lawyer is present!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
    I am a little shakey officer....can you call an ambulance,i need to go to the hospital.thank you...I probably shouldn't answer any questions until I regain myself.
    Originally posted by Hudsonvalley
    ....We all carry hoping that we never have to, ya know....we practice for that same reason. God forbid....practice and hope you're never called into the big game.

Card is terrible idea, IMHO. I will grant that the intention of the card is good. To many variables and perceptions, you run a pretty good chance of sending the wrong message, unless you have a LEO that is extremely sympathetic or you know the LEO personally. That's a lot to gamble on. I wouldn't do the card thing...just KISS, and ask to for an attorney.
    funwitHK
    Aim Low, don't be Disappointed, and Reach your Goals.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links