A Card In My Wallet

This is a discussion on A Card In My Wallet within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ProphetPoet I say...forget making up pieces of paper to hand LEO's after you've shot someone whilst defending yourself or those around you. ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: A Card In My Wallet

Quote Originally Posted by ProphetPoet View Post
    I say...forget making up pieces of paper to hand LEO's after you've shot someone whilst defending yourself or those around you. Know the law and make sure you stay within it. If you can't, make sure you drag the body back into your yard or home after you've dispatched the perp...dead, dead, dead.
    We'll read about you in jail. When you change the scene in order to make it look like something other than what it was, you have committed a crime. If LE knows what they are doing, you will likely go to prison.

This is really dangerous advice. Don't touch a thing. Don't say a thing other than "I was in fear for my life, and I want to speak to my attorney."
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    We'll read about you in jail. When you change the scene in order to make it look like something other than what it was, you have committed a crime. If LE knows what they are doing, you will likely go to prison.

This is really dangerous advice. Don't touch a thing. Don't say a thing other than "I was in fear for my life, and I want to speak to my attorney."

I'm sure the OP was kidding when he said to change the scene to fit the circumstances.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by smotta View Post
    I think having something to hand the officer in the event that you're too shaken to speak clearly and keep your mouth shoot is a good idea. However I feel that the OP's statement is very harsh and comes off in a bad light. This is what I keep in my wallet.

Dear Officer: If i have given this to you, I have unfortunately had to do what was necessary to defend innocent life. I am willing to sign a criminal complaint against the perpetrators. I will point out witnesses and evidence.

As you may have experienced yourself, this is a stressful and traumatic experience for me. Therefore, I wish to make no further statements until I have contacted my attorney and composed myself. I also do not consent to any searches. I will cooperate fully once I have consulted with an attorney and calmed down. As a lawfully armed citizen, I ask for the same courtesy that you would show a fellow officer who was involved in a similar situation.

Thank you

[My attorneys contact information (including 24-hour #) are on the back]
    Just as bad...

But go for it. See how it works for you.

If you can't, make sure you drag the body back into your yard or home after you've dispatched the perp...dead, dead, dead.
    Yeah, and then go immediately to jail for being so stupid. Please tell us that you were being facetious when you wrote this. I've heard this clap-trap or things like it stated elsewhere in this and other gun forums, and if ever there was a sure-fire way to get yourself a one-way ticket to prison it would be to do something like this.

Just know the law and act within it. Don't mess with evidence, lie to the police, or otherwise screw around and try to "outsmart" the law. If you do, you are virtually guaranteeing yourself a criminal record.

So...would you say "Security Rounds" after assailants have ceased being an immediate threat are a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    So...counselor, would you say "Security Rounds" after assailants have ceased being an immediate threat are a bad thing?
    Well, considering that "'Security Rounds' after assailants have ceased being an immediate threat" are illegal, yeah, I would.

Having said that, if the rounds that it took to get the assailants to the point of no longer being an immediate threat also happened to permanently disconnect said assailants' nervous system, I would not say that that is a "bad thing."

Quote Originally Posted by XDFender View Post
    Well, considering that "'Security Rounds' after assailants have ceased being an immediate threat" are illegal, yeah, I would.
    Yeah...but that doesn't apply to me. I'm a lawyer.

Shooting people after they are down is a time honored part of the job.

1943 - 2009
    I say...forget making up pieces of paper to hand LEO's after you've shot someone whilst defending yourself or those around you. Know the law and make sure you stay within it. If you can't, make sure you drag the body back into your yard or home after you've dispatched the perp...dead, dead, dead.

I suggest you review forum rule #10:

Discussion of illegal activities except in reporting the actions of others is not allowed. Discussion for the purpose of promoting these activities may subject the poster to being banned. Admission of illegal activity on your part will be removed or the poster will given the opportunity to edit their admission out of the post. Anyone quoting or referencing deleted or edited posts will have their posts edited/removed as well. In short, DO NOT use this forum to admit to breaking the law.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you for your comments & suggestions. You have given me a great deal to think about. The least of which is locating an attorney if the need arises. The last thing I want to do is do something that will make me do something or say something that may wind up putting me behind bars.

Until such time as I locate an attorney I'm going to revise my wallet card to say something a little simpler but valid under the circumstances. You have all given me something to think about.

Thanks again! I never realized that I posted a question that would get such a response as well. Thanks a lot everyone!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Dude, you don't need a card.

All you need to say is:

"Officer, thank God you're here. I was in fear for my life. I'd like to speak with my lawyer."

Maybe toss in that you want him to call an ambulance. Gives you time to gather your thoughts and speak with your attorney.

That's it, nothing more. You don't need a card to remember that. You don't need to go into anything about the Constitution or any Amendments. And whipping out a card and handing it over or reading off of it is going to look a little suspicious.

Like someone else has stated... It may be your only chance to help yourself in the investigation immediately following a shooting.

The obvious:
    I was in fear of my life and was forced to shoot him
    I am willing to sign a complaint against the man who attacked me
    I know you can appreciate the gravity of this situation and I will cooperate fully after I've had a chance to speak with my attorney

What Ayoob says is critical information which can help you is:
    Officer, witnesses who may have seen what happened are over there (If you fail to point out potential witnesses to the police and they are allowed to leave the scene before the police have a chance to question them, they may be lost forever, thus losing the very people who may be able to confirm your version of what happened)
    Point out physical evidence to the police before it gets swept away or lost (Ayoob points out that on more than one occasion, bullet casings have been lost because they were blown away by the wind or passing vehicles on a busy road. Also the attacker may have been armed with a weapon, knife or screwdriver that somehow gets lost or removed from the scene by someone.)

After that... by all means, clam up and keep your mouth shut. But as Ayoob pointed out, you don't want to clam up too soon by failing to point out the very evidence or witnesses that can prove you had a justifiable shooting in the first place. That would just be foolish.

Personally, I don't need a card to tell me how to behave after a shooting incident. I've already studied the subject extensively and have already spoken with an attorney.

Also, you don't get to pick those who come to investigate your incident. I can foresee a LEO developing a bad attitude right off the bat towards someone who shoves a card in their face and refuses to speak at all. If I were the cop, that would just rub me the wrong way.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

You only have this one time to impress upon the LEO if you were the victim or a suspect. While the card is a reminder of your rights, showing it to an officer could be detrimental to your case. I would cooperate with the officer up to the point of establishing yourself as the victim. You were in fear for your life and stopped the threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu711 View Post
    Until such time as I locate an attorney I'm going to revise my wallet card to say something a little simpler but valid under the circumstances.
    Allow me to aid you.

Your card should say...NOTHING

What part of that do you not understand?

, make sure you drag the body back into your yard or home after you've dispatched the perp...dead, dead, dead.
    Is there ANYONE using this forum that recognizes sarcasm when they see it or is EVERYONE straight as an arrow? Honestly people!

Sarcasm

Sar"casm\, n. A keen, reproachful expression; a satirical remark uttered with some degree of scorn or contempt; a taunt; a gibe; a cutting jest.

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu711 View Post
    I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you for your comments & suggestions. You have given me a great deal to think about. The least of which is locating an attorney if the need arises. The last thing I want to do is do something that will make me do something or say something that may wind up putting me behind bars.

Until such time as I locate an attorney I'm going to revise my wallet card to say something a little simpler but valid under the circumstances. You have all given me something to think about.

Thanks again! I never realized that I posted a question that would get such a response as well. Thanks a lot everyone!
    Pikachu......follow this link, some good local Vegas info.
    need the name and PH# of a GOOD crim def. atty. in N. NV - AR15.COM

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links