A Card In My Wallet

A Card In My Wallet

This is a discussion on A Card In My Wallet within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a small card in my wallet that reads as follows in the event I am stopped or detained by the local LEO's. If ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: A Card In My Wallet

A Card In My Wallet

I carry a small card in my wallet that reads as follows in the event I am stopped or detained by the local LEO's. If I do have to use my G26 in self defense I may have to use this card. Tell me what you think.

"I hearby invoke and refuse to waive all the following rights and privileges to me by the U.S. Constitution.

-I invoke and refuse to waive the my Fifth Amendment right to remain silent. Do not ask me any questions.

-I invoke and refuse to waive my Sixth Amendment right to an attorney of my choice. Do not ask me any questions without my attorney present.

-I invoke and refuse to waive all privileges and rights pursuant to the case Miranda v. Arizona. Do not ask me any questions or make any statement to me about this decision.

-I invoke and refuse to waive my Fourth Amendment right to be free from unreasonable searches and seizures. I do not consent to any search or seizure of myself, my home, or any property in my possession. Do not ask me about my ownership interest in any property. I do not consent to this contact with you. If I am not presently under arrest or under investigatory detention, please allow me to leave.

-Any statement I make or allegedly consent I give, in response to your questions is hereby made under duress and in submission to your claim of lawful authority to force me to provide you with information."

Well, what do you think? Is this something that you might want to have in your wallet or purse?
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu711 View Post
    Is this something that you might want to have in your wallet or purse?

Quick answer: No.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

The only reason I carry this card is in the event I actually have to use my G26 to defend myself. As we all know all too well, ANYTHING we say can and WILL be used against us in a court of law.

I would rather play it safe and talk to an attorney before I answer any questions by any responding LEO's. The last thing I need is any statement I make under the circumstances of a what I believe is a "self defense" shooting taken out of context. You future freedom may defend upon what you say or DON'T say to LEO's.

Thanks for your reply.
    Glock 26

Sounds like a Mafia Don reporting to Congress...

Just politely explain your position to LE and go from there. You may even ask to go to the hospital because your are concerned for your own health and mental state from this incident...gives you time to call your attorney and think.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I am a little shakey officer....can you call an ambulance,i need to go to the hospital.thank you...I probably shouldn't answer any questions until I regain myself.
    that and maybe,'I was in fear for my life"are the only statements I would make untill consulting a lawyer.and BTW get a lawyer who actually knows a lttle about guns/self defense.
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

I'm in the process of trying to locate a lawyer here in Las Vegas in the event I have to defend my life. You should see the rather large section of the yellow pages listed under attorneys. It's lengthy to say the least!

The last think I need is to try to locate an attorney at the last minute. I'm doing the best I can under the circumstances. The vast majority of the defense attorneys offer a "free consultation." But that doesn't cover the first few hours after I hopefully will NEVER have to take another human life.

That is why I posted this item about the card in my wallet. I would hope that the LEO's would understand why I would prefer to consult an attorney prior to making any statements of any kind under the circumstances.

Thanks again for you comments. They are greatly appreciated! I sincerely mean this! I have worked with the traveling public here in Las Vegas for over 22 years. I welcome any comments from you either positive OR negative. I am open to constructive criticism regardless of your perspective of the card I carry in my wallet.
    Glock 26

Even in a self defense situation, using that card could make it look like you were out looking for someone to shoot.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

NO. It's a pre-made use when I may be guilty card. Some of it is good info and may be a point to stick with, but only after (I agree with TonyB) going to the hospital and having time to confer with a pre-chosen counsel.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

When I went to my concealed carry class we had a segment on this exact thing. The film we saw advised us to do just as you say. Even if the LEO is on your side anything you say can and will be used against you. Nothing you say can be used to help your case as it will be considered "hear say". Good point thanks for posting it.
    To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

-- George Mason

Being a former LEO I have mixed feelings.

On the one hand your card is an excellent idea and great way to remind yourself of your rights.

But on the other hand, you have to remember youíre the one a crime was just committed against, that required you to use your weapon in self-defense.

Attempted mugging, assault, murder, carjacking, the list goes on.

Since youíre the only one still standing this is your one time chance to tell what happen, with your viewpoint on that crime, before the responding LEOís make up their mind as to what happen.

This is also your only chance to gather witness that where in the area to stay and report what they saw regarding the crime that just happen against you.

By cooperating and getting other witness, you make the LEOís job easier and with the additional witness, also relaying the same story the DA reading this officerís report is far less likely to look into the shooting further; and it is listed as a justified self-defense shooting.

On the other hand, if you donít have a friend/relative there with you, the officer can put down anything he/she wants in that report and say you said it. And if this should go to court, the LEOís word will be believed by juniors over yours.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
    I am a little shakey officer....can you call an ambulance,i need to go to the hospital.thank you...I probably shouldn't answer any questions until I regain myself.
    that and maybe,'I was in fear for my life"are the only statements I would make untill consulting a lawyer.and BTW get a lawyer who actually knows a lttle about guns/self defense.
    x2, the only words out of your mouth to a LEO after an incident is "I need medical treatment, I must be taken to the hospital"

tns0038, you do raise valid point if I don't have anyone with me in the event I must discharge my G26 in self defense. The vast majority of the time I am alone. So any statements I make can be used against me. Until I locate an attorney who would at the least give me a telephone number for 24 hour contact, remaining silent might be the best thing I can do under the circumstances.

Thanks for your comments.
    Glock 26

I think that if you whip out your "card" and start reading when the cops show up on the scene where you just plugged some POS you're going to look mighty suspicious. A little TOO ready, IMO.

Should anything ever happen do exactly what you are told to when the cops show up. When you get the opportunity, give a very brief, simple outline of what happened because the cops are going to need some info to sort things out and you don't want the first things they hear to be from "witnesses". Follow that with TonyB's suggestion.

Or the card could or might as well say this:

Hi my name is pikachu. I made this card because I was planning to use my gun to shoot someone someday. The end.

I don't think this is a good idea.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    Even in a self defense situation, using that card could make it look like you were out looking for someone to shoot.
    +1....We all carry hoping that we never have to, ya know....we practice for that same reason. God forbid....practice and hope you're never called into the big game.
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links