How many non-LEO's carry BUG?

This is a discussion on How many non-LEO's carry BUG? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a BUG instead of extra mags. Maybe a bad idea? I don't know!...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How many non-LEO's carry BUG?

I carry a BUG instead of extra mags. Maybe a bad idea? I don't know!
    You can't go through life being afraid!!

Sig 229 .40, Taurus 605 .357, Keltec P32

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I really don't see the point in a BUG for the average Joe.
    In my nearly 40 years I've been fortunate to never need a handgun for self-defense. So, I was curious to see how many average Joe's who do in fact carry a primary and BUG and reasons for it. Obviously if you're primary weapon fails you'd need a backup, but I wonder how many have actually needed a primary, let alone needed a BUG due to their primary failing.

Now I'm all for people carrying and carrying as many as they want. Practically though, I agree with you.

VIP Member
    Well, I carry a BUG. For me, it's the difference between being prepared and being well prepared. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

On rare occassions I have carried a primary, a secondary and a BUG.

Having said that, my normal mode is one on me and at least one in my vehicle. But I do sometimes carry a real gun along with my P3AT ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Well, I carry a BUG. For me, it's the difference between being prepared and being well prepared. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
    Well put!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

BUG

15 years as LEO, carried a bug, never had to even reach or consider any situation I have been in (and there were a lot) where I had to consider it. This is due to being in Harms way on a daily basis and a LEO requirement. I have drawn by primary a lot but never a bug.

Reading this I feel a hint of Paranoia in some of the responses, possibly due to the lack of training, inferior weapons (by age or by reputation), by were you live or by your daily habits. I just don't see anyone intentionily placing themselves in a position were they are in a situation were they need a bug.

Most people are concerned about just concealing 1 weapon much less 2 and by leaving any weapon in your vehicle unattended (BAD IDEA IMHO) in some of the responses I personally don't understand it.

If you carry a bug great, IMO just don't lose your focus on your primary and avoid placing yourselves in poor positions
    Dave
    I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy.

I always make it a point to carry a second pistol or have easy access to one.

Generally I do not, except when I am out of town. I often feel less secure when I am out of town because I am often going to places where I am unfamiliar with the territory. My job often takes me to some rather out of the way places. When I do carry a bug my S&W 442 becomes the BUG and I carry the Springfield XD40c as the primary.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

I carry a CW9 with an extra mag and am about to purchase a bug of the same caliber. Perhaps a pf9.

I just got an ankle holster to start carrying a BUG in certain situations. I don't know that I really need one, but it's nice to have the option. And there might be times when I won't be able to carry IWB, and then it would be important to have that ankle backup.

I'm just a civilian.... always have been. And I live in a fairly low-crime area. But I've had my share of close encounters, including an on-campus shooting back before the internets were around, and my job takes me to some questionable parts of town sometimes. And as a woman, I've had my share of assaults/almost-assaults. I refuse to give in to the fear any more.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I carry a BUG almost all of the time. It just works out better for me. Getting to my BUG is a lot easier then getting to my main gun.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Thanks for this post ..... really never thought I needed a BUG.... but after seeing how many
    think otherwise ..... I will check into it. I have SW 38 Air lite Ti which is a small J frame should
    fill the job.

Have never even considered it.

Does it count if I have a BUG in the car? I never carry a BUG on me though.

AOK
    I used to only carry a BUG on rare occasions. Then about a year ago I was in a class running a failure drill. I did a tap-rack and after Ithe pulled the slide back I let go and the slide went flying off my Glock 23. I was left there standing with just the frame and no firearm. I couldn't imagine something like this happening if I was actually in a fight for me and/or my loved ones lives. Now I carry my Bodyguard 380 as my BUG with me daily.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links