Have we learned anything yet?

This is a discussion on Have we learned anything yet? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One argument that I often hear from the anti-gun crowd is that if all able people had/concealed a firearm we would have mass vigilantism taking ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have we learned anything yet?

Have we learned anything yet?

One argument that I often hear from the anti-gun crowd is that if all able people had/concealed a firearm we would have mass vigilantism taking place. They think we would have people acting as judge, jury and the executioner. Taking it upon themselves to seek out and eliminate crime on a daily basis. So now that we have/are having record numbers of gun sales and CCW permits being issued, has any one heard any stories of this going on or statistics on the matter?

I know I am preaching to the choir here but from my point of view, the anti-gun people flat donít get it. I am a relatively new CCW license holder and I want just as much interaction with criminals now then before, when I had no real means to protect my family or myself. The way I see it now is that I am an active participant in my and my familyís protection rather than a bystander.

D

2. Remove Ads

I recall they predicted the same when Florida went CCP, (or so to speak.)

"Wild West", "Blood flowing in the streets."

Crime went down.
    Oh well..........
    Itís so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

ďThe way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,Ē the Sheriff said.

Sponsor
    There are, basically, 2 types of people who encourage drastic (ban) gun control.

1. Head in the sand, rose colored glasses wearing, "It won't happen to me" SHEEPLE.

2. Those in power who want to stay in power through the trampling of personal freedoms and by the sweat of others.

I don't know which is more despicable. The intentionally (excepting the truly mentally deficient) ignorant or the intentionally despotic!
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Considering vigilantism is illegal, CCW licenses don't have anything to do with it. Vigilantes will do what they do, just as drunk drivers will do what they do.

Personally, I think a lot of the anti-CCW (or anti gun) comes from people projecting their own fears onto the population. Basically people who don't trust *themselves*.

IMO, people who can't trust themselves, should take it upon themselves to not carry a firearm, just like they should take it upon themselves to leave their keys at home.

But they need to keep in mind that everyone does not share their issue, nor prompt the need to revoke everyone's driver's license.

-john

Welcome to the Forum.

What they dont get is that the average gun lover likes to shoot paper and not people. They like to hunt for food and such.

Personally, Id like to see a law that requires averyone to have a gun. You dont have to carry it but you have to own one.

I promise that the bad guys will be exposed and weeded out quickly.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

When Minnesota was having the Permit debate, one local state Senator was up there in a speech in a bulletproof vest talking about how St Paul would become the "Wild West" if this passed.

It was some minor consolation that he admitted he was wrong, as were the police chiefs and sheriffs who opposed PTC. It didn't help, though, as it came out in the context of the same groups opposing medical marijuana!
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

Hang in there, you'll be glad you're armed as the crime gets worse.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Please. (Not you, just the people who say stupid stuff like that.) I have a drivers license and a gun. You would scream in horror if I told you half the things I see ROUTINELY working for canine rescues. If I wanted to be a vigilante, I would have mowed down the sons of...well, you know... with my soccer-mom van already.

You don't need a gun to be a vigilante.

And welcome to the forum! :)
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

VIP Member
    You won't see stories or statistics bearing out what the anti's spew out because it doesn't happen. Every state that has had CC come up in legislation has listened to the anti's spew out the same crap again and again. Every road rage incident, every neighbor arguing, every disrespectful look turning into gunfights. It hasn't and doesn't happen. No streets running red with blood, no vigilante's. Of course they won't admit their wrong, that would mean their thinking is faulty and they are not about to admit that.

Senior Moderator
    Some people are destined from birth to never "get it" and they will never understand those that do.

Congratulations for being an active participant in the protection of your family.
    You "get it". Welcome to the forum.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Thanks for the input and welcoming remarks. All the feedback is what I had expected. I just wasn't sure someone had seen anything in some local newspaper or heard anything informally from someone. I surely wouldn't expect to see anything reported but how "powerfull" "assault weapons" are from a major media outlet.

XDm

Quote Originally Posted by ConcealedXDm View Post
    One argument that I often hear from the anti-gun crowd is that if all able people had/concealed a firearm we would have mass vigilantism taking place. They think we would have people acting as judge, jury and the executioner. Taking it upon themselves to seek out and eliminate crime on a daily basis. So now that we have/are having record numbers of gun sales and CCW permits being issued, has any one heard any stories of this going on or statistics on the matter?
    I don't know how long WA has had CCW, but I know that I've renewed several times, so that is probably at *least* 15 years.

Washington state has had "shall issue" permits for a LONG time. So basically, for over 15 years, they are COMPELLED to issue a permit to anyone who wants one (assuming meet age limit, not felon, not involuntary committed, etc.).

If it was going to happen, it would have already happened.

-john

I'm in PA, and have had a carry permit for going on 36 yrs. now. Nope, not aware of any vigilante CCW holders taking out bad guys around every corner. Haven't seen any lynch mobs either (do you need a gun to hang someone you suspect of evil doing?) The wild west wasn't any where near as wild as the stories about make it out to have been. PA, I believe has more licensed gun owners and hunters per capita then any other state. So the anti's argument on that topic is pretty mute. I'm not aware of any other state that is "shall issue" having vigilante killings either.
    USCCA/DEFENSIVE HANDGUNS
    GSSA/NRA
    DEFENSIVE CARRY
    GLOCK TALK
    PAFOA/American Gun Owners

Quote Originally Posted by ConcealedXDm View Post
    Anti gun folks and real liberals in general say these things because they do not have any trust in anyone else having any ability to control themselves because they know that they can't control themselves and everyone is just like them right? So, no one can be trusted. They have no personal responsibility skills so no one else does either in their minds, except the police and government.

Good heavens how screwed up they are.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I am from PA as well. I know a couple of people who have a permit and carry from time to time. In my neck of the woods I can only remember one shooting in the last couple years and it was a LEO shooting a drunk guy charging him with a hunting knife. Most of the crime around here is drunk driving and misdemeanor theft of trespassing. One Meth lab got busted down three years ago. That is all I have heard in the last couple years. No panic in the streets and no vigilantism.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links