Funny conversation with my banker today?

This is a discussion on Funny conversation with my banker today? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The banks' insurance carriers figure they don't have to pay up when someone's shot during a robbery. They do have to pay up if a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Funny conversation with my banker today?

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    The banks' insurance carriers figure they don't have to pay up when someone's shot during a robbery. They do have to pay up if a bank employee accidentally shoots a customer.

The way to deal with this idiocy is to sue the bank for "negligent failure to protect" (my phrase, I made it up) the next time someone gets injured in a robbery attempt. Here's the logic: an action for negligence requires four elements: duty, negligent breach of duty, proximate cause, and actual damages. Obviously, someone who gets injured has actual damages, so here's the rest of it:

1) When the bank enacted a policy effectively prohibiting the exercise of the right of self defense and defense of others, it undertook a duty with respect to its business invitees (a code phrase that means highest possible duty to begin with) to keep them safe from harm. My theory is that if there was one person there who could have been lawfully in possession of a firearm and who would have been, except for the no-guns rule, then lives would have been saved and injuries averted. But by enacting such a policy, the bank effectively took control over the defense of people in the bang, and undertook a duty to take steps to see that they be kept safe, whether by posting armed guards, arming the employees, or otherwise.

2) When the badguys show up and cause a violent altercation, the bank negligently breaches its duty to protect its business invitees by its failure to take active steps to see that they be kept safe from harm.

3) The failure to protect the customers when a violent confrontation breaks out will have been the proximate and efficient cause of the customers' injuries. The bank robbers' actions are neither an intervening nor a supervening cause, because it is the harm which is reasonably foreseeable when one goes into a bank. People have been robbing banks for as long as there have been banks, so no one can claim they didn't expect it to happen.

See how the insurance co's. like that one.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Nice user, I like it.

I always carry in the banks I use, never had an issue.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Tis legal in MI too..

N I CCW when I go to my CU all the time...
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by ccroom
    I then told him not to worry because I don't carry my .45 when I go into a bank. Even though I could legally I don't want any sheep calling out my gun in a bank.
    I don't understand why sheep calling out your gun in a bank would be a problem, open carry is illegal in Oklahoma with or without a permit.

It's legal in NY too. I can carry in my bank, but not in my library (since it's on schoolground property). Oh well...
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Went to different branch today they didn't have a sign posted either. I didn't take the time disarm. I don't know anyone in this branch, no one noticed.
    "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." - Admiral Yamamoto

Quote Originally Posted by ccroom View Post
    Went to different branch today they didn't have a sign posted either. I didn't take the time disarm. I don't know anyone in this branch, no one noticed.
    ccroom,

I am not sure why you keep mentioning about people noticing and calling the cops, etc. A concealed weapon is CONCEALED. That means hidden from view. If your weapon is routinely being spotted then you are not concealing well enough, and, in OK, that can get you a citation.

I don't worry about being made as much as before. I have not been made that I know of since I've carried, there are times that I have reached up on a top shelf to get something and think I may have been made. No one is immune to the fact that you could be made. In this thread I was making the case that a business may have a policy "no weapons" but not posting it. I have chosen to IWB carry, even though my weapon dosen't print while standing or twisting there is the chance that you will have to bend down to get something. And I might be wrong but I don't know of a IWB holster that will make you immune from printing 100% of the time. I really don't want to have an unschelduled meeting that might take up a majority of my day, I do accept the fact that it may happen and will accept the punishment.
    "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." - Admiral Yamamoto

If you carry concealed there should not be any problems any where you go except on federal property.

I carry in my bank every time Im there. I had to go to another bank to meet a customer the other day and they had the place posted. However, it was with a sign that didnt meet the statute so I went on in and did my business and left.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    The banks' insurance carriers figure they don't have to pay up when someone's shot during a robbery. They do have to pay up if a bank employee accidentally shoots a customer.

The way to deal with this idiocy is to sue the bank for "negligent failure to protect" (my phrase, I made it up) the next time someone gets injured in a robbery attempt. Here's the logic: an action for negligence requires four elements: duty, negligent breach of duty, proximate cause, and actual damages. Obviously, someone who gets injured has actual damages, so here's the rest of it:

1) When the bank enacted a policy effectively prohibiting the exercise of the right of self defense and defense of others, it undertook a duty with respect to its business invitees (a code phrase that means highest possible duty to begin with) to keep them safe from harm. My theory is that if there was one person there who could have been lawfully in possession of a firearm and who would have been, except for the no-guns rule, then lives would have been saved and injuries averted. But by enacting such a policy, the bank effectively took control over the defense of people in the bang, and undertook a duty to take steps to see that they be kept safe, whether by posting armed guards, arming the employees, or otherwise.

2) When the badguys show up and cause a violent altercation, the bank negligently breaches its duty to protect its business invitees by its failure to take active steps to see that they be kept safe from harm.

3) The failure to protect the customers when a violent confrontation breaks out will have been the proximate and efficient cause of the customers' injuries. The bank robbers' actions are neither an intervening nor a supervening cause, because it is the harm which is reasonably foreseeable when one goes into a bank. People have been robbing banks for as long as there have been banks, so no one can claim they didn't expect it to happen.

See how the insurance co's. like that one.
    I like that a whole lot.
    Has this ever been done in any form and if so, what was the legal outcome?

I carry at my bank ever single time I go. Open carry no less. No one has ever freaked out. In fact, I have had a teller tell me that she liked seeing me come in with it on. They do not have an armed guard and she says it makes her feel better at least while I am there in line.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Has this ever been done in any form and if so, what was the legal outcome?
    I would be intersted in this answer also.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    she says it makes her feel better at least while I am there in line.
    LOL, Mike, she was just hitting on you. nothing to do with the weapon.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Actually I think you could sue for negligence under the fact you have the assumtion of saftey. I was told I could be sued for this if someone was hurt on my business property. That's why you see businesses put out caution wet floor signs and put salt on icy surfaces.

Administrator
    I would not do my banking at a bank that I could not legally carry in.
    I always carry into my bank. PNC
    I also always take my Cocker Spaniel into my bank.
    My dog is allowed in my bank also.
    They keep a box of treats in there for her.

I cc into my bank (Chase) all the time. In fact, some of the tellers and I stand and chat about firearms just about every time I go in there. They have no problem with me ccing in there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links