Ever heard the Donkey and 2X4 story......? My rant....

This is a discussion on Ever heard the Donkey and 2X4 story......? My rant.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My fiance and I have had some pretty exciting issues come up while out and about, that I have luckily been able to get away ...

Thread: Ever heard the Donkey and 2X4 story......? My rant....

Ever heard the Donkey and 2X4 story......? My rant....

My fiance and I have had some pretty exciting issues come up while out and about, that I have luckily been able to get away from with out having to draw a weapon. She grew up being told that guns are bad, and they should be banned etc. I grew up the total opposite, so you can imagine how the story goes with having them in the house and carrying them every legal chance I get. But she has sure come around, she goes shooting with me, she has taken her CWL class, and is now awaiting her CWL. So here's the story:

I always have a gun in my car, I dont leave it in there, but always put it between the seat and console when we go anywhere. Something happened with our boat this weekend which put us in a hurry to get it out of the water and she drove the Jeep and trailer down to the ramp while I drove the boat around to meet her. The ramp is located by a light house, that has a small public park. The park frequents the homeless, and some others whom I would label as "shady."

When we get the boat on the trailer and start our way home, she tells me a story that happened while she was waiting. A bigger man walked up to the window with two tear drop tattoos under his eye, holding a rose made of palm branches. He motioned to her for her to roll her window down. She saw him coming and searched for my weapon, it was not there, this was to be a quick trip to the ramp and back (10 minutes).....no reason to go in the house and grab the gun first. He told her 4 times to role the window down before he finally gave up and walked away. Needless to say she was a bit frightened. I thought it was a huge step that she knew to grab the gun, if for some reason she needed to protect herself. That's something I didn't think I would EVER here. We discussed that next time just put the truck in drive and drive off, if he tries to stop you...run his a$$ over.

What bothers me is the answer to the question I asked yesterday. "So how do you feel after what happened to you Sunday? Do you think that you might want to start carrying your gun in your car?" I asked. Her response.... "No, I still want to wait until I get my CWL, and then I don't know if I'll be ready yet. I was scared but it wasn't that bad, I'm not worrying about it." What was my response inside my head? GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

2. Remove Ads

The 2 x 4 isn't going to do it, apparently it's going to take a 4 x 4...

Hopefully she's going to come around...keep working on her...she's close to learning.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; May 7th, 2009 at 04:36 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Yikes. I'm glad that nothing came of it. In that situation, driving away was probably a good idea even if there was a gun handy.

In Florida, is it legal to have a loaded firearm in the car without your CWL? In PA you can't do that unless you have a LTCF.
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Hey steps are steps. She's farther along than most wives here. thankfully my wife is all about me owning all the guns I want! :) But your wife is coming around. The mentality that she came from is very different from ours, so I'd just be glad she did what she did. She'll be ready when she's ready. Way to be a great fiance though. It doesn't seem like you're forcing it on her which would push her away.
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

Glad she is coming around to staying safe.

And she needs to know that even if she did have a gun, the right thing to do was drive off.

Quote Originally Posted by NoNameMan View Post
    In Florida, is it legal to have a loaded firearm in the car without your CWL? In PA you can't do that unless you have a LTCF.
    As long as you are 18, It is not readily accessable as if it were on your person, and it is securely encased (glove compartment, center console, etc).

Give it time and stay on path with the sell. My wife was all out against it when we had our first child. Not that she's against guns, but she doesn't want anything bad to happen with our three kids. She is turing but VERY slowly. I do expect her to get her CCW within the next year. Entirely her choice though.
    2A is not negotiable

Quote Originally Posted by claybreaker0 View Post
    ...no reason to go in the house and grab the gun first.

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    As others have said, slow but steady wins the race. Glad to hear that everything worked out alright.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Links