Why you don't notify you are carrying - Page 2

Why you don't notify you are carrying

This is a discussion on Why you don't notify you are carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I couldnt even finish reading the thread. That dccop or whatever his name was sounded like an arrogant SOB!...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why you don't notify you are carrying

I couldnt even finish reading the thread. That dccop or whatever his name was sounded like an arrogant SOB!
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

I live in Alabama. Do you have to notify the LEO of your CCW at a traffic stop? Thanks

I have been stopped twice in NY. Each time I notifies the officer that I had a valid CC license and that I was carrying. I didn't have any issues with the officer. I will continue to inform that out of courtesy.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." Jesus, Luke 22:36

The arrogance of some of the posters on that site is scary! Most of the LEOs I've known have a lot better attitude.

In Ohio, the law says you MUST tell the officer you have a CHL and that you are carrying IF you are carrying. If you do not happen to be carrying at the time you are stopped, you do not have to tell him you have a CHL. However, since he already knows you have a CHL if he ran your plate, it is polite and advisable to tell him you have a CHL but are NOT carrying at that time. In addition, the law says you are supposed to roll down your window and keep your hands in plain site until he approaches, you talk to him, and he tells you how he wants you to proceed. That also applies to passengers--hands in plain site.

Senior Moderator
    The thing about cops is that their own personal experiences may not even remotely resemble another cop doing the same job in another place.

The big city cops that dwell in places where murder occurs on a daily basis, and the constant gunfire that they hear isn't from hunting, will do things completely different than a small town cop that had maybe 1 murder last year in his home town.

As a result of that, even the cops don't agree much on anything. An example would be a cop in Chicago that approaches every vehicle he stops with his gun in his hand behind his leg,so that if he had to use it, he could right then. A small town cop might think that an approach like that was the most ridiculous thing he has ever heard, and the even walking up to a car with a gun in his hand would get him called up on the carpet and verbally abused by his Chief,probably before he even got off his shift.

The thing that is hard for most people to understand, COPS included, is that either approach,dependent on the local circumstances, would be correct.

What one cop may view as being very wrong, may be viewed by another cop as very correct. Thus, the rather strong differences in opinion, which leads to emotion filled argument which leads to nowhere but hard feelings.

The bottom line is this...
    IF it is required by law to notify an officer in a traffic stop, then that is what must be done, there should be no argument.

IF there is no requirement, then you do what you feel you need to do. If you want to notify, because you think it may put an officer at ease, then do it. If you don't want to notify because it is not required, then don't.

IF the officer suspects that you are armed and he wants to see it, just comply with his instructions. Even if not required by law, the officer may have various reasons for seeing it, all of which are legal.

Just remember the Golden Rule, treat him as you would like to be treated, and usually there will be no problems.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I like the couple of LEOs that were bashing the 2nd and saying that the right to carry is a privilege. Ah wrong, it is a right. Also said that maybe the people's guns need to be permanently removed and the 2nd revoked. Duh, does he not realize that would apply to LEO as well. Guess he hasn't ever seen a cop in England.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

I thought the comment on that other web thread about the Second amendment being a little outdated was classic. Spoken by Erik, a student.

NRA Life member

GOA member

Senior Moderator
    I thought the comment on that other web thread about the Second amendment being a little outdated was classic. Spoken by Erik, a student.
    Probably just repeating what he was taught...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

You guys already covered this but I am also amazed at the arrogance and generally unfriendly posters on that other forum. I love how people on DC can support each other. This must be the friendliest bunch on the net.

Does anybody know if you are required to inform an LEO about your LTCF or weapon in PA? I saw that others have asked this earlier in this thread. Maybe there is another thread about this somewhere on this forum? (Forgive me - haven't searched for it...) If not we should start one or maybe link to a list.

Good advice HotGuns on your bottom line.
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tombstone55 View Post
    I live in Alabama. Do you have to notify the LEO of your CCW at a traffic stop? Thanks
    According to:

http://handgunlaw.us/states/alabama.pdf ; no, you do not have to.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Everyone needs to be up to speed on their state carry laws, see above link to handgunlaw.

In mass. we are not required to notify and personally I won't if pulled over. Then again I'm not in the most gun friendly state in the union.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Woah, that's a spectacular example of a thread gone downright mean and nasty...and that's just the first page!

Personally, here we are required to notify. I am happy to comply when I get my CCHL. I believe that it shows the cop that a) I'm being honest and forthright b) I'm concerned for his/her safety, and honestly, who cares if I'm disarmed while they write a ticket? Or hopefully, just a warning. They DO deal with the dregs of society constantly, and are being lied to all the time. If they don't know me personally, it's in the best interest of their safety to assume the worst, no? I'd like us ALL to be able to go home to our families after a traffic stop. Safe and sound.

I'd rather notify, even if not required. If I reach over to grab my registration and the officer sees my gun, it's going to suddenly turn very ugly if I haven't notified, right? I'd rather just avoid that.

Though, I've only been pulled over once.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

In Kansas we are not required to inform. However, most cops that I have discussed the issue with have agreed that if I behaved properly (open windows, dome light on, hands at 10 and 2, etc.) and immediately notified the officer that I was a CCW licensee, that whole process actually would put them more at ease, because it would be evident that I was not a threat and was being totally cooperative. They have all--with the exception of a single female officer who came across as virulently anti-gun --said that in such a case they would just ask for my ID and other information and the gun would be a non-issue.

Therefore, I generally have decided that I will inform, whether required to or not.

Having said that, if I ever am in such a situation, and the officer draws down on me, orders me out, disarms me, etc., I will be filing a Section 1983 Civil Rights Claim for the several violations of my constitutional rights that would be involved.

All I can say is "WOW", it's scary to think that even some LEO's think it's OK to infringe even if it's a couple of minutes. Is a law that is broken any different based on the anount of time it takes to break that law.
    "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." - Admiral Yamamoto

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    In Alaska as you all know, there is no permit required to carry, but you do need to inform a police officer if you encounter one on official business that you are carrying. I have done so on two separate occasions, and both were handled very well and I was allowed to keep my sidearm on me. As long as you know what you're doing is legal, I don't see the problem in letting an officer know of your carry status, everyone wants to go home at the end of the day. I have nothing to hide from an officer. If I was a police officer encountering someone I didn't know, I would want to know if they're carrying deadly weapons, because I don't know who they are, what they do for a living, and what they are capable of.

I'll agree some of the replies on that forum thread were arrogant, but I have no problem with a police officer disarming me for the length of the stop.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links