Why you don't notify you are carrying - Page 3

Why you don't notify you are carrying

This is a discussion on Why you don't notify you are carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks, that completely changed my outlook. I had always intended on informing even though I dont have to here, but not a chance of that. ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks, that completely changed my outlook. I had always intended on informing even though I dont have to here, but not a chance of that. Idk if it pulls up with the drivers licence when they run it, but I hope not. It sounded like there is a lot of repressed mentality over there of macho men going for the badge to be "cool". I couldnt even finish the first page.

I'm kinda taken back from those comments, most LEO understand why people carry... I'm a member of that site and that typically isn't the vibe

In Texas, it is the law that you inform. All CHL instructors will tell you: Roll your window at least half way down, turn on an inside light if it is dark, have your hands at 10 and 2, and state: "Excuse me officer but for your safety and mine, I must inform you that I am legally armed."

This has happened to me in two traffic stops in the past 10 years. Both times, the officer asked me where my weapon was located. Both times I stated "My firearm is in my right front pocket" while keeping my hands on the wheel.

Neither time did the officer disarm me. Most of what happens to you is a direct result of your attitude and your complete lack of disrespect for the badge. If he wanted to disarm me, I would respect that and welcome it. One officer asked me why I felt the need to carry a weapon. My response was: "I carry a defensive firearm... not a weapon. It is on my person because you have a response time measured in minutes when the criminals have an attack time measured in seconds or less. My firearm is there to bridge that gap." It is my belief that I don't need a gun when the police are on scene. I only need it until they get there.
    NRA Instructor

NRA Endowment Member

Be a mentor to the youth of our communities.
    Show them the way to shoot for the moon.
    If they miss, push them to reach out for a star.
    If any gang banger punks try to divert their attention...
    show them the light as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ncglock View Post
    I'm kinda taken back from those comments, most LEO understand why people carry... I'm a member of that site and that typically isn't the vibe
    Me thinks most of those guys on that site missed one of the most important points. We don't all mind being disarmed for 15 minutes while at a traffic stop. I'm all for making an officers job easier and as safe as possible for both of us.

The problem is when we're being treated as criminals, and drawn down on or thrown over the hood. We hate the criminal element as much as LE do. We're not a bunch of cowboys running around with guns. We just want to be able to protect ourselves and our families.

Just because we believe in the constitution is no reason to berate and humiliate us...unless of course you have a problem with freedom and are a "jack-booted thug."

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    It quickly turned from being thrown on the hood of a car to having your gun taken away.

The OP wasn't concerned about having his gun taken away, he was concerned about being treated like a common criminal in front of his 6 year old.

However, they completely ignored that part of it and focused on the "15 minutes he'd be without his firearm."

I wouldn't care about being without my weapon for 15 minutes, what's going to happen with all the law enforcement around? I would be upset about being treated like a criminal just because I'm exercising my right to carry concealed.

I think from another thread that when I am pulled over, I am going to exit my vehicle and lock it, not stay in it and roll the window down.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    It quickly turned from being thrown on the hood of a car to having your gun taken away.

The OP wasn't concerned about having his gun taken away, he was concerned about being treated like a common criminal in front of his 6 year old.

However, they completely ignored that part of it and focused on the "15 minutes he'd be without his firearm."

I wouldn't care about being without my weapon for 15 minutes, what's going to happen with all the law enforcement around. I would be upset about being treated like a criminal just because I'm exercising my right to carry concealed.
    I think you hit on the real heart of the debate, its not about being disarmed, its about being treated like a scumbag just because you CC/OC legally.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

I just have a "Guns Save Lives" sticker right on the back windshield. Im sure they can figure it out that Im carrying when they are behind me.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

VIP Member
    Here in Arizona, it's not required to disclose your CCW status for routine stops and I would certainly not do it. For a short while following my first enlistment from the Army, I became a peace officer and soon learned it wasn’t for me. The badge, uniform and gun, didn't necessarily ensure these guys were always reasonable or even sane. During the 18-months of this occupation, I was partnered with some fairly overzealous officers that I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw them. Likewise, recent graduates from the academy can be very jumpy and possibly over react. As such, I would simply keep my mouth shut unless you’re asked, or you did something that you know will result in you being searched.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeephipwr View Post
    I think from another thread that when I am pulled over, I am going to exit my vehicle and lock it, not stay in it and roll the window down.
    I'd be careful with that one. They don't necessarily want you to get out of the car unless directed to. It could signify intent to do something else other than comply with their directions.

Getting out of the car might indicate you want to take it to another level. Stay in the car with your hands on the steering wheel and all the necessary documentation in your hands.

All I can say is "WOW", it's scary to think that even some LEO's think it's OK to infringe even if it's a couple of minutes. Is a law that is broken any different based on the anount of time it takes to break that law.
    A cop isn't breaking any law by disarming you for the duration of a stop. They have broad discretion in how they handle "interactions" in order to assure everyone's safety.

The last thing you want to do if stopped is to get out of your vehicle. If you do you will immediately be ordered back into it and you will have unnecessarily raised the suspicions of the officer and increased the tension level of the stop as well.

I'm a LEO. I am pro second ammendment and I support concealed carry for anyone that is can do so legally. The only thing I can say/suggest about the subject here is that your best bet is to obey the law and, if stopped, be compliant. Like 1042Trooper said in the officer.com thread, the side of the road is not the place to fight or argue, you'll never win. If you have a complaint take it up with departmental management at later date.

mkh
    I can't get over this quote from one of them
    With all due respect....

The constitution was written when slavery was popular, kicking indians off there land was cool and when women didnt have the vote. Times change buddy. The 2nd amendment is somewhat outdated. When it was written firearm ownership was a nescessary part of life. Today it is far less so. Forgive me if I show very little, if any sympathy, for the guy who is seperated from his firearm for all of 15 minutes.
    Such ignorance and arrogance.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    FWIW, many of the posters on that website are total jerks with a very limited perception of reality. There are some excellent officers on there, but they are usually overwhelmed by testosterone filled,badge heavy children that never got past the "hey... look at me" stage. Some of them cant even carry on an intelligent conversation, so if you are looking for how "most" cops act,or think, that ain't the place to go.

Just my 2 cents.
    Agreed HotGuns but, the really scary thing is, those same testosterone filled badge heave jerks are every bit as much a police officer with the same authority as the good cops.

I know SIXTO is a good guy, and I personally know many good cops. But I have met my share of real jerks that make me wonder how in the world they made it past the psychological evaluation portion of the academy. There are far, far too many cops out there walking around who have very little concern for anyone but themselves and will not hesitate to grab your gun and take a real chance of shooting you with it as they try to disarm you.

That thread on that site was scary. And it over all does not paint LEO's in a good light at all.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I'll let them know ussualy they ask because (FOP) on rear plate & my trucks in my broyhers & my Name keep his card on registration, It does help alot
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I sure hope that's not an example of LE? Most of those guys could not spell to save there lives

The 'other thing' I think most people fail to realize,(even folks on this forum) is that CCW holders are all ready more law abiding than the average citizen.

As citizens that do carry a fairly dangerous tool, I think we tend to be more aware of our situations and our surroundings.

If an officer were to ask I would be happy to make there life a lot easier, as long as they were polite and used some decorum and a little respect. THAT is a two way street.

I have to admit, I don't encounter to many police officers. But the ones that I have encountered, were polite and direct. And not one has ever asked if I was armed, so I did not say anything.........and life went on.

except for that one LEO that threatened to arrest me if I went over to the guy that cut in front of me while on my motorcycle and I T-boned him. It may have been the threat of me kicking his sorry butt into next week, that got the officers ire up

but I digresssorry
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links