Why you don't notify you are carrying - Page 4

Why you don't notify you are carrying

This is a discussion on Why you don't notify you are carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by thebigdl86 I couldnt even finish reading the thread. That dccop or whatever his name was sounded like an arrogant SOB! I agree, ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why you don't notify you are carrying

Quote Originally Posted by thebigdl86 View Post
    I couldnt even finish reading the thread. That dccop or whatever his name was sounded like an arrogant SOB!
    I agree, I managed to read thru about 7 pages...(that was more than enough for me.)...pure arrogance on the part of that dc cop and several others as well. I would always out of respect for LEO let them know I have a CWP and am armed, on the rare occasions that I have been pulled over...the LEO never asked me anything about my gun (PA we don't have to notify unless asked) after running my license and plate gave me a warning to get my headlight fixed (didn't know my right front light was out.) Both of us went on our merry way. I think it truly boils down to "respect" both for the CCW from the LEO and for the LEO from the CCW holder.
    USCCA/DEFENSIVE HANDGUNS
    GSSA/NRA
    DEFENSIVE CARRY
    GLOCK TALK
    PAFOA/American Gun Owners

Quote Originally Posted by NoNameMan View Post
    You guys already covered this but I am also amazed at the arrogance and generally unfriendly posters on that other forum. I love how people on DC can support each other. This must be the friendliest bunch on the net.

Does anybody know if you are required to inform an LEO about your LTCF or weapon in PA? I saw that others have asked this earlier in this thread. Maybe there is another thread about this somewhere on this forum? (Forgive me - haven't searched for it...) If not we should start one or maybe link to a list.

Good advice HotGuns on your bottom line.
    Unless the law has been recently changed and I'm not aware of it...PA permit holders are not required to volunteer that they are or are armed unless specifically asked by the LEO. I always let them know just out of simple courtesy.
    USCCA/DEFENSIVE HANDGUNS
    GSSA/NRA
    DEFENSIVE CARRY
    GLOCK TALK
    PAFOA/American Gun Owners

Interesting perspective from the LEO side. However, some of them were down right disturbing. Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait to go to heaven where everything is fair (I hope so, anyway).

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    We aren't required to notify Law enforcement, but I always do. really believe that the officer should be advised that there's a gun in the car. When stopped, I have my license, registration, and CCW in my hand, and my hands on the wheel. I ask the officer how he wants to proceed. I've never been disarmed, and all of the officers have been great. I've been pulled 3 times, and only once was I given a ticket.

The officers on that other board were scary. The one that thinks that I might shoot him because I've had a bad day was an idiot. The last thing that I will do is risk my life and my freedom. What these guys don't realize is that those of us who go to the trouble of going through the training, etc to get our permits aren't the one's who they need to be worried about. I'm telling them that I'm armed. It's the criminal (not the CCWs that choose not to inform) that they need to worry about. WE"RE THE GOOD GUYS!

I've kept up with that forum for a long time. Most the officers there are on power trips and are not an example of your normal LEO's. Many on there believe that they are the law and can do whatever they want. If you don't like it take it up with the courts if you have the time and money.

Most the cops I know are like the rest of us. They just want to do a good job and then relax and have fun after a hard day at work.

Michael

Thumbs down

"The constitution was written when slavery was popular, kicking indians off there land was cool and when women didnt have the vote. Times change buddy. The 2nd amendment is somewhat outdated."
    I can't say in public how that makes me feel!

I have great respect for most LEOs. I have two older brothers that are former LEOs and three nephews who are currently LEOs, but the guy that wrote that? Sorry....
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Quote Originally Posted by CEW58 View Post
    "The constitution was written when slavery was popular, kicking indians off there land was cool and when women didnt have the vote. Times change buddy. The 2nd amendment is somewhat outdated."
    I can't say in public how that makes me feel!

I have great respect for most LEOs. I have two older brothers that are former LEOs and three nephews who are currently LEOs, but the guy that wrote that? Sorry....
    The guy that wrote that wasn't an LEO.

Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    The guy that wrote that wasn't an LEO.
    Thank goodness! However some of the others there didn't have any better attitudes.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

It happened to me just the other day, I posted my story on this forum page

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...t-thought.html

Quote Originally Posted by CEW58 View Post
    Thank goodness! However some of the others there didn't have any better attitudes.
    Yep, like many others have said, I couldn't even get past the first page

so if you do get pulled over for <pick a reason> when the officer asks for you drivers License why not just hand them your permit at the same time and say "I'm carrying 'this' gun, if you would like me to disarm I will be happy to comply"

I think that would be better than waiting for the officer to ask. And if an officer "throws you over the hood of your car" I think that guy needs to be retrained and I would be writing a letter to the PD and the Mayor of the town in which he patrols.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

All I require is courtesy and a minimum of force. I show him my HCP and Drivers License. This already shows that I am a law abiding citizen who has complied with the law. I can understand him probably wanting to disarm me. Fine, as long as he is courteous and uses a minimum of force to do it (and I remain courteous!) I would also expect him to give some sort of explanation of why. A simple " I will need to disarm you until we are finished here" would suffice. then I know there is a real purpose and a time limit to the procedure.

We have people who are "cowboys" and "wannabes" with anger management issues who have HCPs, so I can see the safety factor in disarming me before he starts issuing me a ticket that is going to upset me. Keeps both of us alive! If he gets disrespectful, arrogant, or overly physical at any point, he has left the game plan and I will see that action is carried out against him by some authority, later. Never get into a shouting contest with any authority figure. If they have already entered the "arrogant" mode, you are in a real lose-lose situation. Get away and report them later.

Most of the posters in the linked post were LEOs from large urban areas. I have lived in big cities most of my life. They are the cesspools of humanity. For every law abiding "good" citizen there is a scumbag. The low life all migrate to the cities (easier pickings!) These are the primary contacts for LEOs all day in the city. A very strong "us and them" culture develops and I don't really believe anybody in daily contact with it can resist it. The cop acts like everybody is a BG because he has a 50% chance at random that the subject is a BG. If the LEO wants to stay alive, he stays alert, and in some cases overly alert.

I retired to a small community. I know all of the local cops. The sheriff is the husband of my former school principal (I'm a retired teacher) and I go to church with the Judge and his family. The police are friendly and courteous. But the ratio of GG to BG probably runs 100 to 1 in this community, so most people that the police see every day are GGs. Cities have been this way since ancient times and little villages have been quiet, happy places since the same times.

BTW, I retired from the USMC at 30 years because I was in receipt of orders to Washington, D.C. to be a monitor/detailer. I would have taken orders to Iraq but I haven't done anything bad enough in my life to be sent to DC!
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGlock45 View Post
    Unless the law has been recently changed and I'm not aware of it...PA permit holders are not required to volunteer that they are or are armed unless specifically asked by the LEO. I always let them know just out of simple courtesy.
    Thanks MrGlock. At this point, I figure that I might as well inform the LEO of my weapon and hope that I don't get someone like on that other thread. With any luck it should go smoothly. I don't mind being disarmed. But I would be very upset if the LEO fumbled with my gun, possibly pointing it at myself or a loved one, or if they were not familar with how to properly unload it. To us gun people it seems simple, but how many cops are not familiar with a cocked and locked 1911? I don't want to find out!

I've been over the Pennsylvania page at handgunlaw.us several times but I never noticed it mention that a person carrying needed to inform LE during a traffic stop. I guess no mention means it's not required.
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

thin blue line between peace and kaos.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    FWIW, many of the posters on that website are total jerks with a very limited perception of reality. There are some excellent officers on there, but they are usually overwhelmed by testosterone filled,badge heavy children that never got past the "hey... look at me" stage. Some of them cant even carry on an intelligent conversation, so if you are looking for how "most" cops act,or think, that ain't the place to go.

Just my 2 cents.
    There are jerks everywhere on both civilian and L.E. based forums. Officer.Com is an excellent website for us in L.E. to at times "vent" and I'm sorry too many have negative feelings towards many in this forum. Look me up under "Nightshift" im a veteran officer and post on there regularily, look at the majority of post Ive made and you will see that MOST if not ALL are pro-second ammendment and I speak very highly of ConcealedCarryCitizens and I'm not the only Cop in there who feels this way. If it was in my control every member of my family (adult) would have a Concealed Carry Permit, because I know all too well that unfortunately we as Officers get to the crime scene only "after" it has gone bad and welcome a citizen not to be placed on the list of "sheeps" among wolves. As to disarming citizens on traffic stops, i do it at times and not at others. It depends totally on the circumstances of each individual stop and either way when I do it I do so with total respect and professionalism, but know this, I will go home at the end of my tour and if I feel the need to disarm a citizen even just for a brief matter of time I will do so. Try and put yourself in our shoes and imagine how you might respond before you jump on the anti-cop bandwagon. As to many in L.E. being arrogant or other negative descriptions made in here you need to remember that all too often we deal with plenty of people who are not overwhelmed with love for us when we do our jobs wheter it be with attitude we constantly receive or down right having to fight people for our very lives who not only don't comply but try and take us out rather than comply, so pardon our direct and rude behavior at times please and accept my apologies. I assure you I do this job to help people both rich and poor, those that are simple minded and highly intelligent and very able. Im out there to serve your community and try to make it a safer place that you can live in. We are not the enemy. ok, ill get off my soap box now, thank you.

Senior Moderator
    Thankyou for that "patrol".

Being a Deputy Marshal myself, I really can appreciate what you are saying. I also understand that some cops are really ate up with the "us vs. them" mentality, more so if they come from a big dept. Most of the cops that I know, in this county simply do not display the arrogance and limited mentalitys that many do there. I know that there are some great cops that post there frequently, but it does seems that they are overwhelmed by loudmouths at times that insist that their way is the only way, without possessing the common sense to understand that it aint that way everywhere, so there is no sense arguing about it. I'll be the first to admit it can be entertaining to read some of the posts, but the misinformation and distortions and whining are too much for me to waste much time with.Its a pity too, because there can be some good info there as well as some outstanding officers to talk to.Besides that, the Liberals there outnumber the Conservatives and I just cant stand that "thought" process.

We are not the enemy
    I know that.
    Cops are their own worst enemies.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links