Why you don't notify you are carrying

This is a discussion on Why you don't notify you are carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by HotGuns Thankyou for that "patrol". Being a Deputy Marshal myself, I really can appreciate what you are saying. I also understand that ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Why you don't notify you are carrying

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Thankyou for that "patrol".

Being a Deputy Marshal myself, I really can appreciate what you are saying. I also understand that some cops are really ate up with the "us vs. them" mentality, more so if they come from a big dept. Most of the cops that I know, in this county simply do not display the arrogance and limited mentalitys that many do there. I know that there are some great cops that post there frequently, but it does seems that they are overwhelmed by loudmouths at times that insist that their way is the only way, without possessing the common sense to understand that it aint that way everywhere, so there is no sense arguing about it. I'll be the first to admit it can be entertaining to read some of the posts, but the misinformation and distortions and whining are too much for me to waste much time with.Its a pity too, because there can be some good info there as well as some outstanding officers to talk to.Besides that, the Liberals there outnumber the Conservatives and I just cant stand that "thought" process.

I know that.
    Cops are their own worst enemies.
    Im with you there, the liberal mindset is one that has and is unfortunately destroying this great country of "OURS".
    I see it first hand with all the failed social programs that have actually created a great divide amongst many americans. I do not agree ofcourse that many on that site are liberal if anything most Police Officers I know are very conservative if not (not that its a bad thing) over-conservative. Not in here to get into a political debate though or explain why it is most cops love the late great Ronald Reagan. I just like talkin guns. take care and be safe brother.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Im with you there, the liberal mindset is one that has and is unfortunately destroying this great country of "OURS".
    It is definatley doing that.

most Police Officers I know are very conservative if not (not that its a bad thing) over-conservative
    Same here, most I know could be classed as "ultra conservative" or maybe even right wing fanatic as Hillary like to call them. Like any where else though, most conservatives are too busy working for a living to be very vocal about anything and most of them are smart enough to know that arguing with liberals is generally a waste of time. Unfortunaltey, the libs never shut up and its the squeaking wheel that gets the oil.
    I liked Ronald Reagan. I think he bought us more time.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Some of those posts were downright scary! It seems to me that many of those cops just can't grasp the simple concept that people who have CCW's are not the bad guys. I had to go through a local,state,and federal background check to get my CCW,and I still have to fill out that form when purchasing a gun. Do they honestly believe that a bad guy will take the time to do all that?
    And for those folks on that forum who said cops receive all this special training? Don't give me that crap. I've seen many cops who couldn't handle a gun safely to save their life. (yes,I've worked at a gun store manning the range-so I've seen this first hand.)
    But don't worry-its only a matter of time before one of those cops on a power trip harsseses the wrong CCW'er and finds himself a new career working as LP at wally world and has a second job as a bouncer at a dive bar at night so he can start to pay off that huge law suit he just lost.

tjm
    Here’s my two cents worth. I suppose the censors will delete this post but putting some of this into words has helped me with some internal conflicts……..

It is certainly interesting reading some of these posts. If you've never been bent over the hood of a car because someone in uniform didn’t like your looks or stood a beating while in handcuffs, well, maybe you really aren’t yet able to accept how badly things can go, even if you’ve done nothing wrong or illegal. You can vent about jack booted Nazis all day long but when you see those flashing lights in your rear view mirror you really aren’t in America any more. You are in a gray area where you are at the mercy of lady luck as to who is in the squad car and what kind of mood he is in. If you didn’t go over to that other board and read some of the posts by ‘characters’ in uniform, please consider doing so. Some night you might be glad you did.

I disagree with just about everything that has been said so far as to ‘this’ is the problem or ‘that’ is the problem. IMHO, the problem is that we don’t make our LEOs feel like each of them is one of us, we are behind them, we support them completely, and we expect and demand that they live up to a very, very, high standard. Instead we pay them poorly, ignore the issues they have with trying to uphold the law, and let them feel that they have to form a ‘secret society’ just to get home alive. The good ones, which over the years I’ve come to the painful realization are the majority, will never take action against the bad ones. Never. It’s against the rules. I’ve seen it first hand. It pains me to think about the things I’ve seen and experienced. I don’t think it has to be this way. Our soldiers go up against foes who make gang bangers look like choir boys and you don’t see them protecting the occasional rogue who get out of control. And I hope we never do.

Not for nothing, but if we are going to expect a person to break down a door and go into harm’s way against the kind of scum who are out there these days, Mr. Rogers isn’t going to make it in that job. Still, we as a society could raise the bar. We could pay these people accordingly and hold them to the highest of standards. We could use the RICO statutes to go after the most corrupt departments, start weeding out the bad eggs in every other department in the country, and make it clear that there are strict codes of conduct to be followed and lines not to be crossed, period. Nobody cares how bad your day has been or what kind of mood you are in, same as the rest of us. Honor and duty are not mere words painted on your door. We could teach our kids that this is one of the grandest occupations to which they might ever hope to aspire. Things could be different. The day could come when you’d be at a party and hear, “Yeah, I was an MD for a few years but I didn’t really enjoy it. Besides, my new job as a cop pays more and garners more respect”. Or we can go on the way we have for a very long time and not raise taxes, upset the status quo, or undergo any painful societal evaluations. I won’t bother to say which I think will happen.

I’m in my 50s now. I don’t have it in me to keep trying to save the friggin’ world. I treat the cops well, even when their behavior doesn’t warrant it, and life is a great deal easier than it used to be. I have an Ohio CHL so if you’re thinking I’m some disgruntled felon, well, I must have been exceptionally good at it. But one thing I can tell you about me, I know what can happen when things go awry with the cops. When I’m stopped I’ll go along and hope for the best. I’m not going to try to teach them the constitution, the state statutes, or what’s right and wrong. Been there, done that, bled in the back seat wearing handcuffs, never had any demonstrable effect on my tormentors, whatsoever. And nobody else ever gave a rat’s behind once I got out and told me side of the story. We need someone to patrol streets full of gangs and scum that would have been beyond my imagination not so many years ago. So I will accept some things I have never liked, hold my tongue if necessary, possibly comply with orders that the law would not support, and hopefully sleep at home every night. I’ve yet to stand up to the cops and prevail and it would take quite a bit to get me to do it these days. The world has an ebb and flow all its own and I can’t have my way on everything. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by 1776forever View Post
    Some of those posts were downright scary! It seems to me that many of those cops just can't grasp the simple concept that people who have CCW's are not the bad guys. I had to go through a local,state,and federal background check to get my CCW,and I still have to fill out that form when purchasing a gun. Do they honestly believe that a bad guy will take the time to do all that?
    And for those folks on that forum who said cops receive all this special training? Don't give me that crap. I've seen many cops who couldn't handle a gun safely to save their life. (yes,I've worked at a gun store manning the range-so I've seen this first hand.)
    But don't worry-its only a matter of time before one of those cops on a power trip harsseses the wrong CCW'er and finds himself a new career working as LP at wally world and has a second job as a bouncer at a dive bar at night so he can start to pay off that huge law suit he just lost.
    The guys I work with do have special training as do many in L.E. with firearms and other equipment. Also in my department we treat people with CCW with respect. We already know wheter you have a concealed carry permit or not when we run your license, so wheter or not you tell us or not we know. It just would be with courteousy that you let us know just as you would want to know if you had the job of stopping strangers on the roadside on a regular basis. Sorry you have such a negative view of the Police in this country but I assure you we are here to make it safe.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post

The good ones, which over the years I’ve come to the painful realization are the majority, will never take action against the bad ones. Never. It’s against the rules. I’ve seen it first hand. It pains me to think about the things I’ve seen and experienced. I don’t think it has to be this way. Our soldiers go up against foes who make gang bangers look like choir boys and you don’t see them protecting the occasional rogue who get out of control. And I hope we never do.
    I see this as the biggest problem. It taints all the good cops with the stink that rubs off on them from the bad ones they protect. It endangers both the public and the LEO's themselves.

Michael

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by rcsnpr View Post
    I got a little sick, I really mean sick, my stomach was like upset, at some of the posts on there. The arrogance that some of the posters have.
    I saw one cop that seemed to have his head on straight, then other cops attacked him. And the ones that have their version of the constitution. Some just have to be doing it to make people upset.

I felt the same way. couldn't get passed the first page of the thread. that's one forum I will never be visiting again...
    Glock 19 in a Crossbreed supertuck EDC

Ruger LCP W/ CT "the go anywhere gun" EDC

"ALWAYS carry!NEVERtell!" Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by patrol View Post
    The guys I work with do have special training as do many in L.E. with firearms and other equipment. Also in my department we treat people with CCW with respect. We already know wheter you have a concealed carry permit or not when we run your license, so wheter or not you tell us or not we know. It just would be with courteousy that you let us know just as you would want to know if you had the job of stopping strangers on the roadside on a regular basis. Sorry you have such a negative view of the Police in this country but I assure you we are here to make it safe.

I by no means have a negative veiw of LEO's. I understand you and your fellow officers put it all on the line everytime you punch in. Having a job knowing that you may not come home? I don't know if I'm cut out to do something like that. So I can understand the "everyones a suspect untill proven otherwise" mindset of many officers. I couldn't imange having a job where my every move is scrutinized by the public and a very biasied media. Where my fellow officers are not backed by the higher ups and are thrown under the bus to protect the department's image. Its no wonder many police have an us vs. them mentality,and as one poster said,form their own "secret societies" just to get by.
    As for the training,I understand its very specialized and mission specific.Its just that some officers on that forum used that has an excuse to harrass CCW's. As in "I've had months of training to carry my gun,and all you have to do is fill out some papers and now you have a card in your wallet that says you can carry a gun?"
    It just bothers me to see stuff like that on a police forum. Unfortunatley its the bad ones who make the news,not the good ones who respect the people they are sworn to serve and protect. Just like the one stupid CCW'er who makes a boneheaded move and makes the rest of us look like gun toting nuts.
    So thank you patrol,for the job you do,and for treating CCW'ers with respect.

I assure you, I nor do any of the guys I work with harrass or disrespect any CCW Holders and if we see some rookie with a im a cop your not attitude towards a citizen who chooses to not be a "sheep" among "wolves" we will smack him. I also know for a fact that being a cop doesn't go hand and hand with being proficent with a firearm, no doubt. Ive seen plenty of morons on the Range as Im a Range Instructor and i can tell you chilling stories that would make the blood run out of your face due to ignorance and lack of safety among officers. I also know for a fact the best shooters I know of most of them are civilians. I learned that humility the hard way when me and two of my buddies tried to actually enter my dads pistol team because we were the top guns of our department and shot against old guys in "bulls eye" type shooting which is 25yard one hand small able targets. Even with us being allowed to cheat and use our two handed supported combat style shooting we got blown out of the water every fregin time and the only team we beat was a group of three novice womans team!! That was a kick in the cojones! Still, we do for the most part, shoot a great deal, just not as much as I'd like to do, and with ammo now going through the roof it seems the only time I shoot is work related which is very unfortunate.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

Quote Originally Posted by NoNameMan View Post
    Thanks MrGlock. At this point, I figure that I might as well inform the LEO of my weapon and hope that I don't get someone like on that other thread. With any luck it should go smoothly. I don't mind being disarmed. But I would be very upset if the LEO fumbled with my gun, possibly pointing it at myself or a loved one, or if they were not familiar with how to properly unload it. To us gun people it seems simple, but how many cops are not familiar with a cocked and locked 1911? I don't want to find out!

I've been over the Pennsylvania page at handgunlaw.us several times but I never noticed it mention that a person carrying needed to inform LE during a traffic stop. I guess no mention means it's not required.
    In the upper right of the page for each state it says yes or no after Must notify officer. For Pennsylvania it says no.

http://handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf

To me the most dangerous thing the officer will be doing is when he goes to disarm. I certainly don't want him reaching in my pants if I'm carrying in a Smartcarry. Frankly I don't want him handling my pistol at all. Cops do not have a good reputation overall for handling guns at all much less one that he may not be familiar with. None of the states I regularly carry in have a requirement to notify.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears!

All accidental discharges I've seen... have been LEO's. They had issues handling their own guns. Enough said.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links