Manual racking

This is a discussion on Manual racking within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With ammo being scarce, would manual racking be a subistitute to see if ammo is feeding correctly?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manual racking

Manual racking

With ammo being scarce, would manual racking be a subistitute to see if ammo is feeding correctly?

2. Remove Ads

The answer is no.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Manually racking a semi-auto to see if a given brand of ammo feeds reliably is only a partial test.

If the ammo under test fails to feed with manual racking, then it's a good bet that it won't feed with live fire. You can try cleaning and lubing the gun, having the feed ramp polished, etc. to see if this can be overcome.

But if the ammo under test feeds reliably with manual racking, that doesn't guarantee that it will feed reliably with live fire. This is because the recoil force might not be adequate, and you can only test that through live fire.

In any case, most people seem to recommend that you don't bet your life on a given gun/ammo combination until you've had 200 trouble-free rounds of live fire. This of course only applies if you intend this particular combination for self defense. If it's just cheap practice ammo, you can usually afford a few failures to feed as a tradeoff that gains you more practice time.

Quote Originally Posted by mfcmb View Post
    Manually racking a semi-auto to see if a given brand of ammo feeds reliably is only a partial test.

If the ammo under test fails to feed with manual racking, then it's a good bet that it won't feed with live fire. You can try cleaning and lubing the gun, having the feed ramp polished, etc. to see if this can be overcome.

But if the ammo under test feeds reliably with manual racking, that doesn't guarantee that it will feed reliably with live fire. This is because the recoil force might not be adequate, and you can only test that through live fire.

In any case, most people seem to recommend that you don't bet your life on a given gun/ammo combination until you've had 200 trouble-free rounds of live fire. This of course only applies if you intend this particular combination for self defense. If it's just cheap practice ammo, you can usually afford a few failures to feed as a tradeoff that gains you more practice time.
    I couldnt disagree more.
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    The answer is no.
    Another...No!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

No!

nope
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

You guys are quick! Thought maybe I had a brilliant idea. Firing live rounds my LCP does fine but the other day I was trying this out and found that it would not always fully return when "sling shotting" to rack.

jfl
    Another NO !
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Quote Originally Posted by bassmaster91 View Post
    You guys are quick! Thought maybe I had a brilliant idea. Firing live rounds my LCP does fine but the other day I was trying this out and found that it would not always fully return when "sling shotting" to rack.
    This same thing happened in my Keltec P11. FMJ's will load fine when racking the slide. However, if you didnt slingshot the slide just right the slide wont go forward and the round wouldnt chamber.

But... Ive run several hundred HP's through the gun and they cycle fine. A polishing of the feed ramp took care of the issue plus all those rounds.

The answer is still no LOL
    New tunes added.

Another source of a non feed problem could be a misaligned or damaged magazine. or short a short round such as Corbon in certain gun brands

no and no again.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    I couldnt disagree more.
    Can you expand on this a little bit more? I am interested in your reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by mfcmb View Post

This post pretty well says what I believe. If the gun/ammo combination doesn't work with manual racking, I'm not interested in wasting ammo by live fire. But if manual racking works, then I'm happier about testing for live fire reliability.
    "None who have always been free can understand
    the terrible fascinating power of the hope of freedom
    to those who are not free."

Hmmmm....how many ways to say NO. Just one should be enough..NO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links