Florida Gun Stores... I don't get it? - Page 2

Florida Gun Stores... I don't get it?

This is a discussion on Florida Gun Stores... I don't get it? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm in Tampa Bay and I have never seen one... but then again, I don't look for them. Correction... I recall that Knight's Shooting Sports ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Florida Gun Stores... I don't get it?

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    I'm in Tampa Bay and I have never seen one... but then again, I don't look for them.

Correction... I recall that Knight's Shooting Sports on 19 has a "no concealed weapons" sign... I ignored it.
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Almost all the gun stores around here have signs like that. I don't spend much time in any of them, but when I feel the need to shop at a gun store, I just ignore the signs.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    I work at a gun store in North Florida. We never, NEVER, ask anyone to disarm. We do not have any such signs posted and never will.

Matter of fact, our front "gable" will one day have the Second Amendment painted onto it under our store logo.

We only ask the owner to unload and clear their weapon if they are going to have it out of holster showing it to us or anyone in the store.
    Dang it why do I have to be broke when there is such a store in town?
    But seriously, I think its actually bad for a store to have such signs, especially those that cater to firearms owners. I actually avoid Lee Anns, or what ever the name of the place that serves the LEOs uniforms and gear needs.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Only 1 of the stores that I go to in Vegas has a sign like that, and they do say that it's due to insurance. I never bother to disarm, it's concealed, and that's that. Signs have no legal meaning here, they can only ask you to leave.

All the gun stores I have gone to in Miami seem to be like that, except one, but there prices are not recession deals to say the least. The range/ gun shop I frequent also say no loaded magazines in the store area as well.
    It has to be for the insurance reasons and safety of store employees as well as the gun nuts who lurch and drool.
    Last edited by Delcorbett; May 8th, 2009 at 04:09 AM. Reason: missing a word or two

Quote Originally Posted by j21blackjack View Post
    I just ignore them here in south Georgia, and in north FL alike. There's no laws against it, and if they discover I'm carrying and kick me out, then oh well someone else can have my money. The only place I've ever ran into trouble was at a range in FL.
    I also live in your neck of the woods. I know a few of the employees at our local gun shops and I inform/get premission to carry and it's granted.

Some of the 'individuals' that come in our local stores and thier very unsafe handeling practicies are the primary concern. I've been present when some idiots come in with loaded firearms, pointing them everywhere but a safe direction, etc. etc.

......And also, like some others, if it's an issue, my business goes elsewhere. I'm carrying.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    I agree with another poster’ in that it may just be a liability thing'. The store in my town doesn’t have such a sign although ironically, I’ve never noticed anyone “open carry” while I’m there.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Gun stores around here often have similar signs, but it is all about guns brought in to be sold or traded.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Well I had to go to the one store in my town that had such a sign. The SIGN is Gone! I actually had to talk a bit with the owner, he said the sign came down since it was ment to mean one thing, and someone had mentioned it and when he found out what people thought it said he took it down. He only asks that it stay in the holster, and if it has to come out to double check the fit that it be unloaded and locked open before it comes in. This weekend I'll check the theater, see if their sign is still up.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

If the sign is not legal then it is just pointed toward folks bringing arms in for sale/trade/repair. Don worry about it. If it is legal sign then that is strange to say the least.

There are 3 gun stores in my town. Only one has this sign, But all three have their employees open carrying.
    Nick
    Glock 19 /CT Laser
    Glock 26 /CT Laser
    Kel Tec P3AT .380/CT Laser

The store/range I frequent has a sign requiring all weapons either by in a gun case, range bag, or holstered. But they leave it at that. I assume its primarily a safety thing.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links