Florida Gun Stores... I don't get it?

This is a discussion on Florida Gun Stores... I don't get it? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm visiting the St.Pete/Tampa area for work and have wandered into 4 stores. EVERY store has a sign out front that says no loaded guns ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Florida Gun Stores... I don't get it?

Florida Gun Stores... I don't get it?

I'm visiting the St.Pete/Tampa area for work and have wandered into 4 stores. EVERY store has a sign out front that says no loaded guns inside the store unless LEO. I asked the staff in all four stores and got four completely different reasons. Am I missing something? I don't give gun stores in NC my business with signs like this regardless of my LE status

2. Remove Ads

gun stores

I always assumed it was targets towards the individuals looking to trade in or have work done.

There good reasons that they put those signs up. For their own safety is one of the main reasons. In one store I had it in my pocket and the guy gave me permission to take it out so he can see it when I was selling it to him and others stores they want ammo out of the clip and the whole gun inside a case no exceptions. I guess it's private property and they can make the rules they want so I don't really care and I just follow the rules because it doesn't cause a big inconvenience. Whatever you do don't walk inside a gun store with a pistol in your hand unless it's in a case. The local range asks that it is in a case and only LEO can draw out of a holster.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Ive seen one store like this, in my town. Its the local outfitter for LEOs, and there is almost always a cop there, and I just leave it in the car when I have to go there to get something. Still dont like it but never asked because everyone there CC. I dont like those kinds of signs, and the local Sportsmans Warehouse has a rule, leave it in the holster you're fine, if its coming out of the holster it must be cleared and the chamber locked open before entering the store.
    As to what I would do, Concealed Carry is legal in Florida....
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by mnconceal View Post
    There good reasons that they put those signs up. For their own safety is one of the main reasons. In one store I had it in my pocket and the guy gave me permission to take it out so he can see it when I was selling it to him and others stores they want ammo out of the clip and the whole gun inside a case no exceptions. I guess it's private property and they can make the rules they want so I don't really care and I just follow the rules because it doesn't cause a big inconvenience. Whatever you do don't walk inside a gun store with a pistol in your hand unless it's in a case. The local range asks that it is in a case and only LEO can draw out of a holster.
    Why would anyone do this?
    Not in a holster, rug, or even a bag????????

If you're in a gun shop with a sign on the outside, I would either skip to the next gun shop, or keep it concealed.
    I understand the safety factor, but my concealed weapon is staying concealed...they can only ask you to leave.
    The gun shops I frequent have no such rules...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I just ignore them here in south Georgia, and in north FL alike. There's no laws against it, and if they discover I'm carrying and kick me out, then oh well someone else can have my money. The only place I've ever ran into trouble was at a range in FL.

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by j21blackjack View Post
    I just ignore them here in south Georgia, and in north FL alike. There's no laws against it, and if they discover I'm carrying and kick me out, then oh well someone else can have my money. The only place I've ever ran into trouble was at a range in FL.
    Likewise ...
    I pay no attention to the signs, the guys know me and know I am carrying, but nothing is said.
    I figure it is for insurance purpose ???
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    Likewise ...
    I pay no attention to the signs, the guys know me and know I am carrying, but nothing is said.
    I figure it is for insurance purpose ???
    Actually it can effect the insurance of a place, but Im not sure if it decreases it or increases the rates.

Buddy of mines business, before it went under, was actually changing his insurance because I was an unofficial employee.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by j21blackjack View Post
    I go into gun stores and ranges all the time with a concealed gun. I think the people who work in gun stores are more afraid some one will come into the store with a gun in his hand which is loaded and an accident will happen. I believe the gun shops worry that their insurance will go up. If I go in a gun shop to get someone to work on a gun I unload it before entering the store.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I work at a gun store in North Florida. We never, NEVER, ask anyone to disarm. We do not have any such signs posted and never will.

Matter of fact, our front "gable" will one day have the Second Amendment painted onto it under our store logo.

We only ask the owner to unload and clear their weapon if they are going to have it out of holster showing it to us or anyone in the store.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Its not just FL. Went to the range today for the first time in my area today and they had the same sign. Stafford Va. I've seen them at a lot of stores.

In their defense, I can see their point. Think about some of the guys/gals that walk in there and want to "brag" about what they are carrying. They have probably been flagged one too many times. I can see it...
    Last edited by Skelt; May 8th, 2009 at 08:30 AM.

I work part time in a gun store and we don't have any sign against carrying, but I can honestly see why a shop would. I have had many customers trying out holsters with their loaded weapons or wanting to trade or consign a weapon and pull it out fully loaded and just shove it across the counter. Most people who carry are responsible gun owners however some who carry are not. In fact some of them could be poster children for the Brady Campaign.
    NRA life member.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

I've wondered that myself when I see a sign like that.
    The most logical reason I can come up with, although I'm sure it is not the reason at all places, is that many people show absolutly no safety concerns with handling a firearm. I've heard of many times a customer will pull out a weapon without showing and verifying it is EMPTY and sweep the salesperson and others around them.
    That can be scary. Especially with all of the accidents we read and hear about.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Never had a problem with any of the stores I visit near my hometown here. Did have a guy point a 30.06 at me he was looking to buy . I turn around the corner to see if they had any 9mm ammo (No) and he slowly turns until I am looking down the barrel. Shop keep wasn't thrilled and neither was I. They still sold him the rifle, but I hope I don't meet him in the woods.

Maybe the signs should say "Idiots must unload weapons before entering the store, everyone else whatever"

Two out of four gun shops I've used locally have the signs. One of them has employees carrying openly so I feel "relatively" safe in there. Didn't know until recently that the employees at the other one carry concealed.

I don't like the signs but private property owners have the right to make their own rules and I try to abide by them. The shop where they carry concealed gets most of my business because the staff is laid back and friendly while still being helpful and knowledgeable about firearms.

When I bought my Nighthawk at a different store last Summer I asked if they had any Colts. The guy said, "Colt is about to go bankrupt so they're focusing on their military contracts." That's a rumor that was making the rounds in the early 90's. Some shops will say anything to steer customers toward what they want to sell them.
    Jack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links