Do you live in a state that allows weapons in restaurants that serve alcohol?

This is a discussion on Do you live in a state that allows weapons in restaurants that serve alcohol? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In Kansas we are not allowed to carry into "any portion of a drinking establishment" but there is an exemption for restaurants that serve alcohol ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you live in a state that allows weapons in restaurants that serve alcohol?

In Kansas we are not allowed to carry into "any portion of a drinking establishment" but there is an exemption for restaurants that serve alcohol and have a separate bar area such as an Applebee's.

Kansas also allows any private business to post what we call Gunbuster signs (picture of a black semiauto inside a red circle with a red line through it) to prohibit folks from carrying. In the bigger cities you are likely to find plenty of these signs, but they get thinner once you leave heavy populated areas. Some folks from the Kansas CCW forum created a site called ccwhere.com to help permit holders know about businesses that restrict carry. If we run into a place that restricts we post it on the site so that other permit holders can avoid that establishment.

2. Remove Ads

In PA you can carry and I've never seen an issue.

I think these bans are ridiculous. It's my understanding before the Minutemen battled the British they "formed" at Buckmans Tavern in Lexington. Just another sign of how low this country has slid.

WA here also. Carry into the restaurant is fine as long as you stay on the under 21 side.
    with our 4 year old that is not hard to do.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

In Mn we can carry concealed or open . I am mostly concealed unless I'm on duty.merlin45kout

We do in restruants that serve booze....just not in bars.
    We must NOT consume alcohol while carrying.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutnmuffinz View Post
    hey everyone! I'm new to the forum and just got my CC license a couple of weeks ago. I'm from Maine, and I can't seem to find anywhere that describes the CC laws in black and white. Just basics, like where I can and can't carry. I know bars and federal buildings are off limits, but I'm sure there are others. Can someone help me out? Thanks!
    Maine is ok. I go up there every summer and carry OC/CC in restaurants and other locations allowed by law, no issue in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by msb45 View Post
    In PA you can carry and I've never seen an issue.

I think these bans are ridiculous. It's my understanding before the Minutemen battled the British they "formed" at Buckmans Tavern in Lexington. Just another sign of how low this country has slid.
    I also believe in PA there is no law against being drunk and carrying. Now if you are being stupid with the gun while drunk then you lose your LTCF, in addition to a drunk in public or DUI... otherwise any other SD situation while intoxicated is default legal as there is no law against it.

In KY it is permitted to carry in restaurants that serve alcohol if their primary source of income is from food service. Bars are off limits to firearms. I can think of only one local restaurant chain that has a no firearms sign on the door, which is permitted in KY. Owners have the right to restrict.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    In Utah it is legal to CC into alcohol serving restraunts, and I can honestly say I have never seen a sign prohibiting guns at any restraunts in Utah.
    Thank goodness!
    But then again signs mean basically nothing in Utah so posting them is a waist of time.

VIP Member
    In CT no problem as far as I can make out. It says something like use good judement.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I live in West Tennessee now but a few years ago, before we moved here, we lived in Alabama.....snip

I am very happy that we will be able to carry when we go out to eat soon here in Tennessee!

AND I'm very happy that our fellow permit holder and "friend" Mr Jimmy is crying so about it passing........
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
    Yup.

In Colorado you can carry in an establishment that serves alcohol for consumption on-premises, even bars and nightclubs. The restriction is that it is illegal to carry while “under the influence”.
    It is noteworthy that in Colorado there is no standard for what "under the influence" means in regards to CCW. We have two blood alcohol standards for driving under the influence (DUI and DWAI) but no definition applying to CCW. To me that means that a police officer can use his or her judgement and one could easily lose their permit for very little alcohol consumption.
    A veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable
    to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by waynesan View Post
    Do you live in a state that allows weapons in restaurants that serve alcohol?
    Yes. Oregon doesn't deem people who drink to be criminals. With respect to drinking, thankfully, Oregon sees criminals who commit criminal actions as criminals. Not every place has the (statutory) intelligence to make the distinction.

There seems to be a prevailing thought in the minds of those who opposed this legislation that with the new law, many restaurants will now start posting to keep guns out.
    The shops led by knee-jerk folks who don't have clue #1 about what drives criminals will do such things, sure. Can't change that, except by having those folks learn rationality over time. As we all know, that can take a long, looooooong time for some.

... do you find a lot of restaurants post to keep out those of us with permits from carrying our weapons into them?
    Sure. But since such requests have no force of law, in Oregon, they're irrelevant. If a shop asks you to leave, you either do so or risk willful, criminal trespass. Otherwise, most simply ignore it ... or go elsewhere.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I live on the border of GA/TN. Live in GA, have my business in TN.

All the arguments that the ANTIs posed for GA are the same that they are posing for TN. If you look at GA, as far as I know not one incident. They claimed it there would be blood in the streets. I hope TN finally passes this as I hate being forced to dine in GA only.

As far as the chain restaurants – I have not seen any postings in GA. I have dined at most. In fact, I don’t recall a single “No Guns Allowed” at any chain. Nor at any independents.

aji
    Live in Pennsylvania. So far have not seen "no carry" signs in any restaurants including Applebee's, TGIF, Ruby Tuesday, Lone Star or Longhorn plus others like McDonalds, Wendy's, Burger King. There are probably signs out there, but I have not encountered any.

This thread has really given me a lot of good info to pass along.

When scanning some of the newspapers from one end of the state to the other since this legislation got going, there have been a lot of comments made by those who opposed it to the effect that, now there will be signs everywhere in most of the restaurants (especially the chains) barring the carry of weapons. This thread has provided a lot of good info to the contrary that such an ourcome is not lilkely to happen. Thanks to everyone whose posted and I hope that anyone else who has more info will add to the thread.
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken every day.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links