Do you live in a state that allows weapons in restaurants that serve alcohol?

This is a discussion on Do you live in a state that allows weapons in restaurants that serve alcohol? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As you may have seen on other threads, Tennessee is on the verge of allowing Permit holders to carry their weapons into restaurants that serve ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you live in a state that allows weapons in restaurants that serve alcohol?

As you may have seen on other threads, Tennessee is on the verge of allowing Permit holders to carry their weapons into restaurants that serve alcohol. It been a 10 year battle but it looks like it is about to pay off.

The way the law is going to be is that any restaurant can post a sign and not allow firearms to be brought in. Private property owners call the shots. No problem there with me. If I don't like it I will go somewhere else to eat.

There seems to be a prevailing thought in the minds of those who opposed this legislation that with the new law, many restaurants will now start posting to keep guns out. I have only spent a minimal amount of time in states where the law works like this so I don't really know how prevalent the signs are in those states.

Do you live in a state that has a law like this, and do you find a lot of restaurants post to keep out those of us with permits from carrying our weapons into them? What about the chain restaurants like Applebee's, O'Charley's, Texas Roadhouse etc...?

Any feedback would be very appreciated.
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken every day.

We do not have carry for establishments that serve alcohol for on premesis consumption. Were working on it and hopefully it will happen this year.

It really is the most silly thing to disarm CWP holders this way.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Senior Moderator
    Yep.

Arkansas did it several years ago.

Very few if any resturaunts are posted, in fact, I have never seen one. I hit Little Rock and Fort Smith a bit and eat out everywhere.

Chilis,Lone Star,Applebees,Western Siz,Cracker Barrel,TGIF,Red Lobster,Black Eyed Pea, none of them have signs.

There seems to be a prevailing thought in the minds of those who opposed this legislation that with the new law, many restaurants will now start posting to keep guns out.
    Same old tired rhetoric that antis wish would happen to support their argument.

We heard the same thing...it didnt happen. The owners arent stupid. They know and understand that its lost money that goes to their competition, so they generally dont post.

I wouldnt worry about it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Yes it's legal in WA. We cannot carry in any area restricted to persons 21 or older. So the bar is off, but a restaurant is fine.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

1943 - 2009
    Montana law prohibits concealed carry in places that serve alcohol for on-premises consumption. This was a compromise that had to be made in order to get "shall issue" passed in 1991.

All attempts to repeal this provision have been defeated over the years. We're stuck with it.

The restaurant lobby is very powerful in this State.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    In SC, in order to get an on premises alcohol license, the business must serve food. That complicates the issue politically here. Anti's get visions of wild west saloons with gun fights for any reason when this gets discussed.

In Washington state a permit holder may carry in a place that serves alcohol, HOWEVER, one may not carry in a place that is restricted to persons 21 and over due to alcohol regulations.

The difference is essentially that you can carry into a restaurant but not a bar. Kids may enter a restaurant where beer and wine are offered, but may not enter a bar or tavern where hard liquor is served, which makes it very easy for a permit holder to know whether they can legally carry into an establisment - if there's a "No One Under 21" sign, then they can't.

I've seen from this forum that some states have a "can't carry if the establishment gets more than 50% of its revenue from alcohol" restriction and people have said how it's difficult to impossible to know that. In our state it's clear whether a place is legal - look for the 21 and older sign.

Where we have an opportunity to get tripped up is some restaurants will have a lounge that serves liquor and is thus no-one-under-21 and off limits. When the hostess says "Your table will be ready in 10 minutes, would you like to wait in the lounge?" you'd best remember that you can't and stay legal.

On edit: Wow, in the time it took to type my reply 4 other people answered and one was from WA.

OBTW, I see that I didn't really answer your question - I've never seen a "No concealed carry" sign at a restaurant in Washington.
    Last edited by alienbogey; May 8th, 2009 at 12:28 PM. Reason: More info

Restaurant Yes / Bar No

Restaurants may serve alcohol and it's still OK in FL. Since you can't smoke in a restaurant in FL....if there are ashtrays on the tables, you can't CC there
    2A is not negotiable

Yup.

In Colorado you can carry in an establishment that serves alcohol for consumption on-premises, even bars and nightclubs. The restriction is that it is illegal to carry while “under the influence”.

I do not go out “clubbing” or “bar hopping” any more so I can not comment on bars and nightclubs, but I have not seen any restaurants posted. In fact the only posting I have actually seen is the malls and they usually have the notice buried in the middle of a paragraph on safety that is posted beside each door to the mall. Note: Colorado does not specify requirements for the sign that tells you “no guns”.

I have seen what I “think” are bulges on the ankle in Old Chicago and I have seen at least one person get out of his vehicle and then put his IWB holster on in the parking lot.

I have yet to see any blood running on the floors…

Restaurant yes - including those that serve alcohol, bar yes (if certain conditions are met, for example if you have the permission of the manager or owner).
    I have never seen a no guns sign on a restaurant, or on a bar for that matter. It really seems to be a non-issue here.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Montana law prohibits concealed carry in places that serve alcohol for on-premises consumption. This was a compromise that had to be made in order to get "shall issue" passed in 1991.

All attempts to repeal this provision have been defeated over the years. We're stuck with it.

The restaurant lobby is very powerful in this State.
    OC.com says that OC is legal in a resturant in Montana similar to VA. Is that the loophole in the law, since only CC is prohibited?

Oh and in PA there are no restrictions on resturant carry.

Here is a handy map:

We can go into a restaurants and have a drink with our meal. You cannot go into The bar area for any reason.

There is nothing in the AL code regarding carrying in a bar or restaurant. I think it's really about common sense. If you are drinking alcohol, leave the CCW at home or locked (unloaded) in the car.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Steps in the stripping of State's Rights/Sovereignty
    1. War of Northern Agression 2. Coersion to ratify the 14th Amendment 3. Ratified 17th Amendment

TN

As far as I understand the TN law, we are but a Senate vote away. If it is passed it will include carrying in regular bars but not if you are consuming alcohol.

This may work for me as I love to play pool but no longer drink.....I have found a room fun of drunks isnt any fun unless you are also drinking.

At the same time a room full of drunks can in an instant turn into a disaster. I have seen plenty examples.

At least now "IF" it is passed I will be able to go play pool and have my protection. There are no old style billards halls or any pool tables around here that are not in a place that serves alcohol. This law if passed could bring back an old pastime of mine for me.

I have no idea when it goes before the Senate but I am pretty sure it will be met with plenty resistance.....We shall see....

BLESSINGS PATRIOTS
    Retired US Army/Disabled
    Tennessee in the Republic of the USA
    A Handgun Carry Permit is but a small piece of plastic, but it is a HUGE leap in personal and civic Responsibility!

As alienbogey and matiki said. I've never seen any "no carry" signage at a restaurant.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links