Range / practice regularity???

This is a discussion on Range / practice regularity??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Question: Do you keep a routine schedule and if so, what is it? How much time do you spend at the range? Since starting the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Range / practice regularity???

Range / practice regularity???

Question: Do you keep a routine schedule and if so, what is it? How much time do you spend at the range?

Since starting the CC I have been "trying" to do a regular trip every three weeks. I put in about two hours every third Friday morning when weather permits of course. I would prefer every other week but I need to keep costs down while trying to get in as much practice time as I can afford. I feel like (2) hours is getting me where I need to be but never less.
    2A is not negotiable

2. Remove Ads

I am able to shoot in my back yard. I stack stumps of wood 2-3 high to get a "life size" target. All of the bark is gone so I can see POI. I practice about 1-2 times per week using 10-15 rounds each time. This is really to get me used to the feel of my CCW. Once this ammo shortage is over I plan to buy some Q targets and practice every few weeks at 50-100 rounds each session.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Steps in the stripping of State's Rights/Sovereignty
    1. War of Northern Agression 2. Coersion to ratify the 14th Amendment 3. Ratified 17th Amendment

Before Ammunition became scarce I was making it to the range about once a week. Now it's about once a month. I have found that lengthy range sessions where a lot of rounds are fired yield diminishing returns for the effort. If I shoot too much it tends to become mechanical, and concentration is lost. For me, short sessions of about 100 rounds are best. That's me of course. Might be different for you.
    Last edited by wmhawth; May 8th, 2009 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Spelling

I try to go once amonth, but with ammo the way it is and buying it at the range can be pricey,pluse my three kids eat all alot of my money away.
    Semper Fi

Molon Labe

O bother said Pooh,as he chambers another round

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LeCalsey View Post
    Question: Do you keep a routine schedule and if so, what is it? How much time do you spend at the range?

Since starting the CC I have been "trying" to do a regular trip every three weeks. I put in about two hours every third Friday morning when weather permits of course. I would prefer every other week but I need to keep costs down while trying to get in as much practice time as I can afford. I feel like (2) hours is getting me where I need to be but never less.
    Since ammo is becoming a hot comodity, I've been spending less time at the range.

I used to tho.

VIP Member
    Once per week minimum. I try to go for two or three times per week, but that does get expensive. If I shoot 100 rds that is a "long day" for me. I go for quality of practice vs. quantity of rds fired. I also use about half of those rds in .22 and the other half in my carry caliber(s).
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I practice about the same except it is usually on a Monday through Thursday.
    During the week I can shoot on an indoor range for five dollars all day and the range isn't crowed

Once every 2 weeks about 100 rds. Wife about 50 rds.

I did keep a routine going, was fun!!...but as of late I've been forced off the live fire aspect of it.....now, I just up my unholstering, quick mag changes, and other skills that need to be worked on other than live fire. I have hit my bottom limit of 500 rounds. I will get my count back to 1000 before I commence reguler live fire practice with my .45acp ammo. For now I refine the other moves that don't require live fire.

I will shortly be getting a .22lr conversion kit +500rnd of .22lr for live fire practice using my 1911. That will help with my refinement of moving shooting and other forms of live fire on the cheap also that won't use my "real" ammo.

Usually every other week. No less than every third week.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

I'm retired and belong to a private shooting/hunting club. I'm there daily doing something and normally will run 6 to 10 rounds a day through the 1911 if it's not raining. I use an IPSC target at various yardages. If you buy the stick on patches one target will last a long time if you vary the yardages so that the point of impact varies. I use two mags with three to five rounds in each. I'll discharge the first mag, rotate mags discharge the second and secure the firearm. Ammo hasn't been a problem at this point. Have been VERY fortunate to have a commercial reloader within 12 miles with adequate supplies for his regular customers.

I generally get out once per week for live fire. I practice daily with a 1911 airsoft on 5" foam "plates" at 21 feet and draw and dry fire quite a bit with my carry pistols.

I do this mainly for practice for shooting plate matches with our local club but feel that this practice might be of some benefit in a self defense situation, as well.
    Cloudpeak

I used to compete, and it was weekly. IPSC. 70 rounds per match, then on some weekends I used to put 600 - 800 rounds downrange just fun'n around. I became inactive a few years ago.

Up until the ammo shortage I practiced about once a month, 100 - 200 rounds. Strong hand, weak hand, both hands, point shooting ...

Beginning January of this year when I noticed that I could no longer find practice ammo ... I have cut my shooting down. Out in the woods I might cycle a couple mags through my gun ... 25-30 rounds and I call it quits. Anything I shoot I cannot replace. No set schedule of when, but whenever I'm in the woods (a lot summer/fall, not at all winter/spring) I shoot.

We have a small range in the back yard a few acres away from the house. We get out there just about every weekend but we do some drills twice a month.

100 rounds each through each carry gun.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Was once a week. Now every 3 weeks. I have 4 guns & shoot 100 rounds each.
    Ammo is too much $. My AK & AR only go once a month.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links