Talk about getting thing ready when pulled over.

This is a discussion on Talk about getting thing ready when pulled over. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I do not act any differently during 'conversations' with LEO while armed or not. I believe calmness and politeness go a long ways. During the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Talk about getting thing ready when pulled over.

I do not act any differently during 'conversations' with LEO while armed or not.
    I believe calmness and politeness go a long ways.
    During the few interactions I've had with LEO's in FL or KY, I have simply stated, "Good morning (afternood, or evening) officer, I would like you to know that I'm a legally armed Floridian...blah, blah, blah..."
    I've never been asked for my permit, only where the weapon was located. I've also been asked what kind it was, and complimented for the Kimber..."Nice gun!"
    I have found both the FL and KY cops to be rather friendly and comfortable with armed, permit holders.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

Well, 100% of the times that I've been pulled over I know why (speeding ). So, I immediately get my wallet out, and have all required documents ready for the LEO, even before he/she dismounts the cruiser.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

VIP Member
    Got pulled over in Illinois a couple weeks ago. I had my registration off to the side in my glovebox. He didnt need proof of insurance. I kept my hands on the wheel and waited for himt o get there.
    I knew right where everything was and was very polite. I think thats why I only got a warning.
    Prepare for the worst and hope it never happens

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    If an Officer lights you up, pull over right away. Roll your window down and if at night turn on the interior lights and wait with your hands on the steering wheel to be asked/told what to do and then do what the nice Officer tells you.

This is the only safe way to do this, DO NOT start digging around in the glove box etc it will only make the officer nervous.
    Roy
    Dacono, CO
    CCW
    USAF Veteran

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Traveling on Texas Roadways with Concealed Handguns

Traffic stop policies vary among law enforcement agencies. Your local police department or sheriff's office can tell you what to expect if stopped while carrying a handgun within their jurisdictions.

Texas Department of Public Safety troopers will ask you:

* Whether you are licensed to carry a concealed handgun
    * Whether you have the gun with you
    * Where the gun is located

A trooper may disarm a licensee anytime he or she feels that safety is at risk. The trooper will return the gun at the end of the traffic stop when the threat to safety has passed.

When stopped by a law enforcement officer, DPS recommends that you:

* Keep your hands in plain sight
    * Cooperate fully with the police officer
    * If you have a gun with you, tell the officer as soon as possible
    * Don't make any quick movements, especially toward the weapon
    * At night, turn on your vehicle's dome light

Texas Department of Public Safety - Courtesy, Service, Protection

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    "I knew right where everything was and was very polite. I think that's why I only got a warning."

Cops are human (well, MOST of them anyway), and like everyone else, will respond to the way that they are treated. Act like a moron, challenge them, give them a hard time, and they may decide to see if there's anything else that they can write you for. If you smile, are polite, and do everything asked of you without bitching, then the officer is likely to respond in kind. That doesn't mean that you'll always get off. Much will depend on the reason that he pulled you. Also, if he's part of a several car team acting in an organized
    enforcement effort, he may not have as much leeway. But you'll always be better off treating the officer in a courteous manner, even if you still get a ticket. It happened to me once last year. I got the ticket, but he dropped my speed from going 20 mph over in a school zone to 2 mph over (It was actually an accident that I was going so fast. I wasn't aware that I as in a school zone).

As I passed the 55mph sign at light speed in Indiana last December coming from a trip to Illinois, I got pulled over.

I immediately turned on the dome light to illuminate the interior. Got my DL out as my wife was looking for the car registration. He came up to the passenger side and shining a flashlight inside, asked for the paperwork. I was holding back the dog who was with us, she wasn't very happy with the officer. I don't have to inform Indiana LEO about carry. I did have the Rossi with me in the map pocket. He didn't ask me if I had any weapons, he just wanted to inform me that I was speeding and getting a ticket. He was very cool and professional and really didn't tell me to keep my hands anywhere. I guess it is different in other states.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    I respectfully suggest you go back and read page 15 of "Ohio's Concealed Carry Law", put out by the State of Ohio, Office of the Attorney General, which you should have received (by law) a copy of when you took your CHL Class. In case you misplaced it since your class, it states:
    I've seen that thing. I think I used it to scoop doggie doo doo in the back yard. It is not the law. The Ohio Revised Code is the law. While the handbook has some good suggestions, and serves as an excellent Cliff's Notes to the ORC, it is not the ORC. There is no penalty for not complying with it, but there is penalty for not complying with the ORC. That is why I prefer to know State Law instead of that handbook thingy.

I used to carry around a fully seasoned and cooked rump roast in the car. When pulled over I would immediately take my shirt off/leap out of the car and start rolling around in the street while rubbing the rump roast all over my naked chest. Never once did I get a ticket!

the one out of 2 times I have been pulled over was at night and I turned on the interior lights had my info ready to go in my hand with the window down, I drive a diesel so I turn it off regardless between that and the traffic noise I don't want to misunderstand anything....

Quote Originally Posted by kimberland View Post
    I've seen that thing. I think I used it to scoop doggie doo doo in the back yard. It is not the law. The Ohio Revised Code is the law. While the handbook has some good suggestions, and serves as an excellent Cliff's Notes to the ORC, it is not the ORC. There is no penalty for not complying with it, but there is penalty for not complying with the ORC. That is why I prefer to know State Law instead of that handbook thingy.
    I think it is interesting that you think so lightly of the pamphlet published by the Ohio Attorney General. Did you even read your CHL application before you signed it?

SECTION VI
    AN APPLICANT WHO KNOWINGLY GIVES A FALSE ANSWER TO ANY QUESTION OR SUBMITS FALSE INFORMATION ON, OR A FALSE DOCUMENT WITH THE APPLICATION MAY BE PROSECUTED FOR FALSIFICATION TO OBTAIN A CONCEALED HANDGUN LICENSE, A FELONY OF THE FOURTH DEGREE, IN VIOLATION OF SECTION 2921.13 OF THE OHIO REVISED CODE.
    (1) I have been furnished, and have read, the pamphlet that explains the Ohio firearms laws, that provides instruction in dispute resolution and explains the Ohio laws related to that matter, and that provides information regarding all aspects of the use of deadly force with a firearm, and I am knowledgeable of the provisions of those laws and of the information on those matters.
    (2) I desire a legal means to carry a concealed handgun for defense of myself or a member of my family while engaged in lawful.........

While you may prefer to read the entire ORC and ignore the AGs pamphlet, not all of us are attorneys. I therefore respectfully submit that it is probably a prudent idea to follow the "suggestions" in a pamphlet published by the Ohio Attorney General that I was required to read, and attest to same, when I signed my CHL application. BTW, it is a fourth degree felony to sign your CHL application if you have not read it, among other things.

me
    Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    I think it is interesting that you think so lightly of the pamphlet published by the Ohio Attorney General. Did you even read your CHL application before you signed it?

SECTION VI
    AN APPLICANT WHO KNOWINGLY GIVES A FALSE ANSWER TO ANY QUESTION OR SUBMITS FALSE INFORMATION ON, OR A FALSE DOCUMENT WITH THE APPLICATION MAY BE PROSECUTED FOR FALSIFICATION TO OBTAIN A CONCEALED HANDGUN LICENSE, A FELONY OF THE FOURTH DEGREE, IN VIOLATION OF SECTION 2921.13 OF THE OHIO REVISED CODE.
    (1) I have been furnished, and have read, the pamphlet that explains the Ohio firearms laws, that provides instruction in dispute resolution and explains the Ohio laws related to that matter, and that provides information regarding all aspects of the use of deadly force with a firearm, and I am knowledgeable of the provisions of those laws and of the information on those matters.
    (2) I desire a legal means to carry a concealed handgun for defense of myself or a member of my family while engaged in lawful.........

While you may prefer to read the entire ORC and ignore the AGs pamphlet, not all of us are attorneys. I therefore respectfully submit that it is probably a prudent idea to follow the "suggestions" in a pamphlet published by the Ohio Attorney General that I was required to read, and attest to same, when I signed my CHL application. BTW, it is a fourth degree felony to sign your CHL application if you have not read it, among other things.
    Easy enough to read something and realize it really does not matter because it is not the law then forget what it says. Point 1 only says he has to have read it right? Does it not ask that you are "knowledgeable of the provisions of those laws and of the information on those matters." Then by this you should have also had to read the true state law covering this, no?

I am sure this pamphlet helps some but I will tell you most publications like this give you very little as to what the truth of the law is. You nor I may not be a lawyer but IF you plan to legally carry a gun in Ohio or any other state you WILL NEED to know the WHOLE LAW rather than just an abbreviated section of the law.

Yes this stinks, especially for me as I have lived in 4 states in 2 year, but I must know the WHOLE of the LAW not just what somebody thinks about it, whether that be the AG, Governor, LEO, NRA or anyone else.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Quote Originally Posted by me View Post
    Easy enough to read something and realize it really does not matter because it is not the law then forget what it says. Point 1 only says he has to have read it right? Does it not ask that you are "knowledgeable of the provisions of those laws and of the information on those matters." Then by this you should have also had to read the true state law covering this, no?

I am sure this pamphlet helps some but I will tell you most publications like this give you very little as to what the truth of the law is. You nor I may not be a lawyer but IF you plan to legally carry a gun in Ohio or any other state you WILL NEED to know the WHOLE LAW rather than just an abbreviated section of the law.

Yes this stinks, especially for me as I have lived in 4 states in 2 year, but I must know the WHOLE of the LAW not just what somebody thinks about it, whether that be the AG, Governor, LEO, NRA or anyone else.
    This has gotten a bit off the original topic if you go back and read the first post. It wasn't about the specifc law in ones state. My original reply, which Kimberland so vehemently disputed, was not a quote of the law, but what I was taught in my CHL class (which is what it says to do in the pamphlet put out by the Ohio Attorney General, and which you are required to read and understand, and attest to when you sign your CHL application.) By the way, said pamphlet does contain many of the provisions of the ORC that it is explaining and expounding upon. As Kimberland so correctly pointed out, the Ohio Revised Code (ORC) does NOT specifically say you have to keep your hands on the steering wheel, nor does it say you have to roll down your window, as I said in my original post. I was NOT quoting the ORC. The information I posted goes BEYOND what the ORC says. If some jailhouse lawyer wants to go strictly by the ORC that is fine. Maybe the LEO doesn't now every specific minute detail of the ORC. He is more apt to know what it says in the AG pamphlet than every provision of the ORC. I choose to make any encounter as easy and uneventful as possible, and will go by the "suggestions" of the Ohio Attorney General, which go BEYOND the wording of the ORC. If Kimberland, or any one else in Ohio, chooses to NOT roll down their window prior to the LEO approaching, and chooses to keep their hands "in plain sight", but NOT on the steering wheel, that is fine. They have complied with the ORC. And I agree, one should know the provisions of the Ohio Revised Code, but it certainly does no harm to do something that is even more LEO "friendly", and put him at ease in case of an encounter. I will roll down my window, put my hands on the steering wheel, tell him/her I have a CHL and am or am NOT carrying (even though that is not required by law if you are not carrying) and wait for his instructions before proceeding to dig out my registration, drivers license, and CHL. Not only will I have complied with the letter of the law, I will have, hopefully, put the LEO at ease, showed my respect for him/her and the law, and maybe just reduced the risk of an unpleasant encounter for both of us.

JDE101,
    Thanks for posting part of the bulletin you got along with your CWP.

As a New Yorker with non-resident permits that allow me to carry in Ohio, I will follow the SIMPLE rules as you posted. Not a problem to me.
    "page 15 of "Ohio's Concealed Carry Law", put out by the State of Ohio, Office of the Attorney General, states:

"If you are pulled over and you are carrying a concealed handgun remember the following:

* Before the officer approaches, roll down your window and place your hands in plain view on the steering wheel.

* Calmly tell the officer that you have a license to carry a concealed handgun and that you have a handgun with you. Ask if the officer has particular instructions concerning the handgun.

* Do not touch or attempt to touch your handgun unless specifically told to by the officer.

* Do not exit your vehicle unless specifically told to by the officer.

* Comply with all lawful orders given by the officer.

If you are a licensee and are not carrying a concealed handgun, this section does not apply to you."

When in Rome I will most always try to do as the Romans do !
    bosco

VIP Member
    if you get lit up, first obligation is to get pulled over quickly and safely...for you and where the officer and have room to work

if your wallet/ID/chl/etc is easily accessible and you have it out then putting it in your hand WITHOUT showing any sign of looking around/reaching around in vehicle you should be ok

but when I pull someone over and I see them looking around, reaching around in vehicle my alert level goes up even higher

its better to just grab wheel and wait for officer to ask for the stuff then tell them where it is located and if you state requires it inform them about your CHL/firearm location, then retrieve the info, we're not in a hurry in this situation, better to not have it ready then be seen as reaching around in the vehicle for who knows what
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links