Talk about getting thing ready when pulled over.

This is a discussion on Talk about getting thing ready when pulled over. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; SO lets talk about this. I see alot on here about reaching for this or that while stopped for a violation or some other. When ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Talk about getting thing ready when pulled over.

Talk about getting thing ready when pulled over.

SO lets talk about this. I see alot on here about reaching for this or that while stopped for a violation or some other.

When I have been, and if I'm pulled over. I always have the goods in my hands and placed on the wheel....So I'm ready to hand over the standard papers asked by any officer during a traffic stop, by the time the officer reachs me. I do not wait 'till he's at my door and asking to start getting items out. I keep them at quick easy access. Nip it in the bud no? You prett much know you have to show DL and insurence regardless.

I don't do alot of movment to possibly spook the LEO while walking up on me. I have DL and CHL in wallet (they are connected) which is just a quick reach and insurance is kept in a little flap on my visor. SO the only "reaching" I'm doing is above my head and @ my visor pulling a slim pice of paper. In which can be clearly seen (no tented windows) what I'm doing....plus car is off, E-brake up (standard). All this is mostly done before LEO evens gets out of the car.

SO, do you have quick easy acces to get things ready? Or do you wait until a formal introduction is made then start getting the credentials?....Which involves reaching and leaning and other actions that can could cause a bit of uneasyness.

Of course there isn't a perfect way, and my way isn't fool proof, but would like to know how others on this forum operate during traffics stop to ease the process....or complicate it. Food for thought?

2. Remove Ads

I wait, so that way the LEO doesn't' see me moving around reaching for "who knows what" while he/she is walking up.

I wait to hear what they want me to do, then I comply. I then will tell them what I am doing, so that way they know I heard them and we are in agreement on what I am to do and what I am actually doing.

The only time I have had anything go wrong in a stop is when I flipped a cop off, it went pretty badly from that point of breakdown in communication. Luckily he knew I was a stupid punk kid and let me know it so I could learn, which I did.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I carry a front pocket wallet. When I get in the car the front pocket wallet goes into the visor above me. This way my hands are always on or above the wheel.

Should the LEO walk up on me and I dont already have it out Ill just kindly tell him my wallet is in the visor above and that Im going to reach for it.

He can plainly see my hands the whole time.

Usually though I would have already reached up and got the wallet and all the required items out and ready. The LEO wont notice a bunch of movement and leaning over into the glove box or console this way.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    I wait to hear what they want me to do, then I comply. I then will tell them what I am doing, so that way they know I heard them and we are in agreement on what I am to do and what I am actually doing.

Edit: messed up trying to quote AA also about communication.

Yes, clear communication is key!

Reaching around the vehicle for things is a good way to get them wondering what you are doing which could lead to them asking if they could have a look around. I wait for them to ask for what they want and then produce it, I have everything they need without going into the glove box or anywhere but my wallet and visor.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

I also will be prepared by the time he gets to my window. Both hands always on the steering wheel with license in hands. I have absolutely never had any LEO to act any way but very professional. My CCP has never been a problem, never been asked to show or even where my weapon is. Of course, my standard to him/her is 1. smile, friendly voice and, Hi officer, I have a concealed to carry permit which is with my license, my weapon is ....., could I ask why you stopped me.

Pretty much that's it. I'v never even had one to ask me what kind, caliber etc.
    They say, that's fine no problem and I pulled you over because .....

I might add that on another thread I guess an LEO was asking why you are being pulled over that makes people so anti LEO when pulled over for a stop.
    I am pulled over for license checks at check points, or in DUI check points along the highway. Now in my younger days when I lived in a hurry lol, it would have been for speeding i'm sure :).

I usually turn my truck off an put the key on the dashboard. Then I wait till the LEO asks for everything. I have gotten out of alot of tickets by turning off the vehicle and having my hands on the wheel.

In Ohio, you are supposed to roll down the window and put your hands on the wheel, or in plain sight if you are a passenger, before the officer reaches you and tell the officer you have a CHL and are carrying when he approaches, and ask him how he wants you to proceed. Our instructor specifically told us not to go reaching around the car/truck for your license and registration because it tends to makes LEOs a "bit" nervous when they see someone reaching around for "something". Besides, in Ohio, if they run your plates, they already know you have a CHL and may be carrying. Seeing you reaching around for something as they approach is not a good idea

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    I begin slowing down, turn on my flashers or turn signal, pull off into the safest close area or as far off the road as I can. Put the car in park, turn it off, put down my window, and put my hands on the steering wheel until given instructions. After that I answer as honest as I can (I will sometimes shade the mileage a little if asked if I know how fast I was driving) and be polite. At most I'll get a ticket. While I don't want one its not worth the hassle to get in a power struggle. If the office is a jerk I'll still turn on the "How To Win Friends and Influence People" philosophy which always works.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

VIP Member
    If an Officer lights you up, pull over right away. Roll your window down and if at night turn on the interior lights and wait with your hands on the steering wheel to be asked/told what to do and then do what the nice Officer tells you.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

When light up:

1. on shoulder a.s.a.p

2. dome light ON

3. I have a card wallet with DL and insurance

4. hands on wheel
    ."..and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." — Jesus Christ, Luke 22:36 NKJV

“Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.”
    Plato

Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    In Ohio, you are supposed to roll down the window and put your hands on the wheel, or in plain sight if you are a passenger, before the officer reaches you and tell the officer you have a CHL and are carrying when he approaches, and ask him how he wants you to proceed.
    Not true, according to to the Ohio Revised Code.2923.12 B:

(1) If the person is stopped for a law enforcement purpose and is carrying a concealed handgun, fail to promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the person after the person has been stopped that the person has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun and that the person then is carrying a concealed handgun;

(2) If the person is stopped for a law enforcement purpose and if the person is carrying a concealed handgun, knowingly fail to keep the person’s hands in plain sight at any time after any law enforcement officer begins approaching the person while stopped and before the law enforcement officer leaves, unless the failure is pursuant to and in accordance with directions given by a law enforcement officer;

Nothing about rolling down windows, nothing about putting your hands on the wheel wheel, nothing about "before he reaches you", nothing about "when he approaches", nothing about asking "how he wants to proceed".

If I were you, I would ask for my money back from that class.

I am going to make the wild assumption that a LEO was teaching the class.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I keep my OL, bank cards, etc in a separate small wallet that I carry in the front left pocket. When pulled, I get my license wallet out, and then hold my hands up and on the steering wheel while I get everything out. My OL, insurance, registration, CCW permit, and my Metro ID in the very front of that wallet, so I just pull everything out of that section. My hands are kept on the wheel. If it's night, I turn on the dome light first, so that the officer can see my hands. I smile at the officer, and ask him what I can do for him, and also letting him know that I have my permit and where the gun(s) are.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    For me first off I don't plan on being stopped. However the few times it has happened I pull over, roll down the window, shut the vehicle off and wait with hands on wheel for the officer to ask before I do any moving around the interior of the vehicle. I don't turn on the interior light if it is night because the spot light is filling the interior with light. The officers have a tough enough time trying to stay safe while on patrol without us doing a lot of moving around that will make them nervous. Stay still, follow their requests and everyone goes home safe.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by kimberland View Post
    Not true, according to to the Ohio Revised Code.2923.12 B:

Nothing about rolling down windows, nothing about putting your hands on the wheel wheel, nothing about "before he reaches you", nothing about "when he approaches", nothing about asking "how he wants to proceed".

If I were you, I would ask for my money back from that class.

I am going to make the wild assumption that a LEO was teaching the class.
    I respectfully suggest you go back and read page 15 of "Ohio's Concealed Carry Law", put out by the State of Ohio, Office of the Attorney General, which you should have received (by law) a copy of when you took your CHL Class. In case you misplaced it since your class, it states:

"If you are pulled over and you are carrying a concealed handgun remember the following:

* Before the officer approaches, roll down your window and place your hands in plain view on the steering wheel.

* Calmly tell the officer that you have a license to carry a concealed handgun and that you have a handgun with you. Ask if the officer has particular instructions concerning the handgun.

* Do not touch or attempt to touch your handgun unless specifically told to by the officer.

* Do not exit your vehicle unless specifically told to by the officer.

* Comply with all lawful orders given by the officer.

If you are a licensee and are not carrying a concealed handgun, this section does not apply to you."

It was not a LEO teaching my class, and I have no intentions of asking for my money back, as I feel I got my moneys worth--maybe even more than you did.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links