Backpacks

Backpacks

This is a discussion on Backpacks within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey Everyone, So I was talking with my little bro the other day and he brought up a good question. If he is going to ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cytoviper

Thread: Backpacks

Backpacks

Hey Everyone,

So I was talking with my little bro the other day and he brought up a good question. If he is going to the shooting range and wanted to use a backpack to carry all of his gear.(Hangun,ammo, etc.) would he get in trouble for this, as he does not have his ccw. I thought it would be a good question to post. I would think so, since it wasn't in a case stored seperately from his ammo. Any thoughts?
    "When the people fear their Government there is Tyranny; When the Government fears its people there is Liberty"

What state is he in? What does the law where he is define as concealed carry? Are there other restrictions? Any case law?

Lots of question and no answers, sorry but I would be very carefull about relying on unsubstantiated legal advice from internet lawyers. IANAL.

Ken

Howdy from Northern CO.

In CO its legal for him to carry it any way he chooses in his own vehicle as it is considered and extension of his home. He can even legally CCW in his vehicle or at home.

Now depending on his comfort and safety transporting firearms loaded or unloaded I would strongly suggest a good holster as a minimum or a zippered soft case would even be better, and a hard case would be the best. You can find some that aren't too expensive. But from a legal perspective you have no issues to worry about.

Regards,
    marcclarke likes this.

If he is only using the backpack as a "range bag" then he's probably OK. You're not talking about keeping his gun/ammo in the backpack and going about other daily activities - are you?
    Randy
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Check out the handgun laws section on this site.

In New Mexico, a person age 19 or older can possess and transport an UNLOADED firearm, whether concealed or not, anywhere the presence of firearms is not prohibited.

In NM, a person under 19 can only possess and transport a firearm under certain limited circumstances. Going target shooting at a shooting range is one of them.

NM law doesn't specify that ammo and firearms must be packaged separately, or locked up, etc. So it doesn't seem like a backpack would be illegal.

Links