FL permit question.

FL permit question.

This is a discussion on FL permit question. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is it true that you can conceal whatever weapon you wish in the state of FL as long as you have a FL or recognized ...

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

FL permit question.

Is it true that you can conceal whatever weapon you wish in the state of FL as long as you have a FL or recognized permit?

My buddy told me you can conceal a Ka-Bar, tazer, pepper spray, guns, nunchucks etc... whatever you want basically as long as you are licensed to carry a weapon.

Any truth to this?

Not exactly. FL does restrict some weapons. You need to research those. But, FL issues a Concealed Weapons and Firearms License, so it does include more than just a gun.

You need to go to the FL Statutes and read them to get the list of what is excluded.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I always thought of it as a little ironic and funny both that you can carry a loaded gun, but not a knife.

Philly is that way. I can carry my 1911 all day long out in the open, but get thrown in slammer for a pocket knife...

Looks like everything you mentioned specifically is ok. Everything is too broad. Machine guns are not included.

FS 790.06 License to carry concealed weapon or firearm.--
    For the purposes of this section, concealed weapons or concealed firearms are defined as a handgun, electronic weapon or device, tear gas gun, knife, or billie, but the term does not include a machine gun as defined in s. 790.001(9).

FS 790.001790.001 Definitions.--As used in this chapter, except where the context otherwise requires:

(3)(a) "Concealed weapon" means any dirk, metallic knuckles, slungshot, billie, tear gas gun, chemical weapon or device, or other deadly weapon carried on or about a person in such a manner as to conceal the weapon from the ordinary sight of another person.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

FL CCW is just that concealed weapons (as mentioned above). I can have more than one gun if I wish.

I always have a knife, pepper spray, gun, mag, light, and sometimes my KA-BAR TDI...pretty much anything I want to carry. I'm not really interested in H2H (if I have a choice), so the extra mag, light, and pepper spray are more important additions to me.
    OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Does anyone know what the heck a "slungshot" is? I read that in the statutes when I took the Florida course, but didn't know what it was.
    “People sleep soundly in their beds only because rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf” –George Orwell

Methinks that it is a "slingshot". Seems like a typo to me!
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

Slungshot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not to be confused with slingshot.
    A slungshot is a maritime tool consisting of a weight, or "shot," affixed the end of a long cord often by being wound into the center of a knot called a "Monkey's fist." It is used to cast line from one location to another, often mooring line. The cord end is tied to the heavier line and the weighted end of the slungshot is thrown across the intervening space where a person picks it up and pulls the line across.
    The slungshot was often used as a civilian or improvised weapon (however the rope length became much shorter when used as a weapon). The cord is tied around the wrist, and the weight is carried in the hand or the pocket of the user. To use, the weight is thrown into the opponent's face, rather like a yo-yo. Repeated blows can be landed by "snapping" the slungshot, rather like snapping a towel. A slungshot may also be swung to attack an adversary in a manner similar to that of a flail.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Troup76 View Post
    Does anyone know what the heck a "slungshot" is? I read that in the statutes when I took the Florida course, but didn't know what it was.
    From Florida Statute 790.001:

(12) "Slungshot" means a small mass of metal, stone, sand, or similar material fixed on a flexible handle, strap, or the like, used as a weapon.
    Note that this includes what are commonly referred to as saps or slappers (lumps of lead in a leather strap).

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Good ol' Wiki. Should have done that myself.
    I thought those things were called "Blackjacks" though.
    Thanks
    “People sleep soundly in their beds only because rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf” –George Orwell

Links