Temporary Carry Update/Question

This is a discussion on Temporary Carry Update/Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I posted a few weeks ago about how after a knee injury I had to find either a new method to carry, a new pistol, ...

Thread: Temporary Carry Update/Question

Temporary Carry Update/Question

I posted a few weeks ago about how after a knee injury I had to find either a new method to carry, a new pistol, or both. At that point I ended up purchasing a S&W 638 and used a pocket holster.

Update: Since that post I found out I had some pretty bad ligament and cartilage damage that required surgery. Now the surgery is done and I am starting to get more mobile. However, due to the new brace (thing is a beast) I have had to resort to wearing loose basketball shorts for ease (instead of cargo shorts). This has provided yet another new problem for carrying when I am out and about .

So, I am thinking my options are essentially down to either wearing a fanny pack (BLEH) or a SmartCarry. Another option would be to get a SafePacker and strap it to one of the crutches (though I am not a fan of my CCW not being physically on me).

What do you all think is the best option there (or a better one I haven't listed)?

As always - all opinions/recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone.
    "No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
    -Thomas Jefferson-

2. Remove Ads

Smartcarry is definitely the way to go. It will always be on you and with wearing loose gym shorts very easy to pull quickly.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

I'd have to second the SmartCarry.
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

When I first went on crutches right after the accident, I had to stop using my IWB due to my shirt riding up as it was catching on the crutches.

Will the SmartCarry sit down low enough so that it will still be concealed when the shirt rides up because of the crutches?
    "No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
    -Thomas Jefferson-

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock40Texan View Post

Will the SmartCarry sit down low enough so that it will still be concealed when the shirt rides up because of the crutches?
    If you wear it properly, yes.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I'd find a small fanny pack, but with either the smart carry or a fanny pack, you'll have to drop the crutches for the draw...I'd find the fanny pack a quicker approach...OMO.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Glock40Texan View Post
    I posted a few weeks ago about how after a knee injury I had to find either a new method to carry, a new pistol, or both. At that point I ended up purchasing a S&W 638 and used a pocket holster.

Update: Since that post I found out I had some pretty bad ligament and cartilage damage that required surgery. Now the surgery is done and I am starting to get more mobile. However, due to the new brace (thing is a beast) I have had to resort to wearing loose basketball shorts for ease (instead of cargo shorts). This has provided yet another new problem for carrying when I am out and about .

So, I am thinking my options are essentially down to either wearing a fanny pack (BLEH) or a SmartCarry. Another option would be to get a SafePacker and strap it to one of the crutches (though I am not a fan of my CCW not being physically on me).

What do you all think is the best option there (or a better one I haven't listed)?

As always - all opinions/recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone.
    Shoulder holster? Been looking at one of those. I am a bigger guy and it seems more comfortable.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I think I would opt for the "Smartcarry". I use mine all the time.

I also carry a fanny-pack (my emergency kit); My wallet, epi-pen and emergency meds are carried in my pack. The pack also helps hide any printing you may have while wearing gym shorts or sweats.

You should not have any problems with riding up and showing. The only thing that will sometimes show is the "belt". But that's really a non issue and looks a lot like a back support belt.

The smartcarry is like any other holster; meaning, YOU will notice it more by looking in the mirror than other people will out in public.

VIP Member
    Well, I currently have the Thunderwear brand although I'm ordering the SC in a smaller size this week. It really is a great device for a number of guns and especially for snubs. If you're untucked, it's really impossible to see. Simply insure the band is fitted below your hip bones.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Definitely not strapped to the crutches. Very likely that if someone attacked you the first thing they'd try to do is knock you off those crutches, and then you're no armed anymore.

SmartCarry is your best option if you ask me.

I have spent quite a bit of time on crutches and have always resorted to the fanny pack option. That way I can also carry other items I have needed with me.
    The best preventative medicine is superior fire power.

VIP Member
    I would use a fanny pac

I've got to agree with the fanny pack. If you're just wearing gym shorts you need somewhere to carry your wallet/permit right?

Links