Intervention Rule?

This is a discussion on Intervention Rule? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I voted #2. Circumstances vary so it's hard to say what I would do in every case but I hope I would try to help ...

View Poll Results: Intervention Rule?

Voters
378. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolute "For me and mine, ONLY!"

12 3.17%
  • I'll NOT stand idly by.

66 17.46%
  • Primarily "for me and mine," but may intervene under certain conditions.

275 72.75%
  • I don't honestly know.

25 6.61%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Intervention Rule?

I voted #2. Circumstances vary so it's hard to say what I would do in every case but I hope I would try to help my fellow man or woman should they be in a life threatening situation.

I don't know if you all remember the abduction and killing of Katie Pourier(sp) a few years ago here in Minnesota. She was working alone in a convience store when she was abducted. I have a daughter about her age and I think if I was there that night she would be alive today. No matter how much the lawyers scare us I would not let this happen. I would hope someone would do the same for my daughter if it was her in that situation.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

2. Remove Ads

HOnesty I don't know what I would do in that situation (as that was what I voted). I do hope that in a situation like that I would be able to do something to help out.
    Crookcatchr

Theres no such thing as owning to many guns.

Legal aspects keep many circumstances left alone but if it comes down to life or death of a GG then I have no doubt I would help an innocent person in need. The legal system is at fault for even having a poll for such a thing and we should not have to second guess our actions to do the right thing and help someone in need and end up in court fighting for your freedom because of an overzealous DA that wants to set an example of you or fear that the BG's family will sue you for everything you have because you shoot there criminal son or daughter.

If the legal ramifications do not make one think long and hard about taking action! they don't have anything to protect from the court system because that is what it comes down to. The court system put's all of us in a position we shouldn't have to be, in order to protect another.

I also have a problem with people "NOT" taking there own action and protecting themselves and there own (the sheeple) or anti's against threat's/attacks and will leave things up to the police and or a CHL permit holder to take action and protect them. I would bet that 9 out of every 10 times something goes down a CHL permit holder will be in a better position to end a threat in the real world. So with this, it even makes things much harder for me at least in making a decision to intervene.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Put me down for "primarily for me and mine, but..."

Given certain circumstances, I believe I would get involved

Like so many others here, I chose #3. The safety of my family and myself are the primary reasons I carry though I can imagine a few circumstances where I'd be compelled to intervene. The problem is, there are so many variables that it's impossible to say what I'd do in a given situation. Anything short of a rape or a child in danger I'd have to let the situation dictate my actions.
    Jack

This thread is going about like I'd hoped!

That was NOT a comment on how the votes are going, but for how everyone (who choses to post,) seems to be giving some insight on their postion without making negative statements on the choices others make.

That's exactly what I was hoping to see.

Please keep it going!!

EDIT: I hope that some who have made the "me and mine, alone" statement get involved with this thread. So far, none have chosen that one. If you truely feel that way, cast your vote. If you feel so inclined, post your thoughts as to "why." If not, no problem, but at least cast a vote.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

I would lean strongly toward option #3.

If I intervened, I would have to be absolutely certain as to how the scenario unfolded, who the real victim and assailants are, etc.
    As already discussed in this forum, there have been many instances of mistaken identity in regards to who is the BG and who is the GG.

I would also have to be certain that I would be able to control the situation without being harmed myself, or causing harm to innocent bystanders.

Ussually in a situation like this, the best course of action is to call 911, monitor the situation, and then make a judgement on whether or not to intervene based on the cirumstances of the situation.
    Being proactive is the best way to avoid having to be defensive.

Follow not in the footsteps of the masters, but rather seek what they sought.

"Stategy is the craft of the warrior."-- Miyamoto Musashi

Ars sine scientia nihil est.

VIP Member
    I said "I'll not stand idly by."

Intervention can mean any number of things, from calling the police and trying to verbally intervene by yelling out that I've called the cops, to actually physically intervening, up to shooting in defense of a third party.

My primary responsibility is to me and mine. I'll also help a fellow human being in need, to the degree that I can safely and legally do so and based on the interpretation of the scenario. Scenarios can be very hard to interpret. I don't want to shoot a person beating up on another who in reality was the victim who happened to get the upper hand when I came across the event, and I also won't shut my window while another Kitty Genovese is happening outside. Sometimes victims don't want help, like in domestic violence situations where the beatee ends up defending the beater. It may be gang-on-gang warfare that I don't want any part of.

I must be very careful in how I determine what is going on and how to intervene. I will at least call the police.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I picked #3. Family is my PRIMARY responsibility and I will take no action that endangers them. If I'm not with them, then it becomes a tactical choice.

My main reason for hesitation then would not be thinking about what an ambulance chaser might make of it, but due to lack of information as to what is really going on. An example is a domestic dispute where you may not know who the agressor is, and both might turn on you.

I interpreted "intervention" to mean an active role such as verbally challenging or pulling my weapon.

Calling the cops and observing from a safe location is not intervention to me, perhaps "respond" would be a better term..
    Randy
    NRA Life Member

Voted #2.

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing."

Senior Moderator
    +1
    There ya have it...

While I voted for "3", I strongly believe that:

But, having agreed with that, this is very situational. If I know exactly what has happened, and what the facts are, and can intervene in a manner that does not put other parties at risk, I believe I'll step up to the plate.

As paraphrased from the now famous "Sheepdog" speech/article, sheepdogs run to the sound of trouble.

Too many good citizens have been taken advantage of from helping someone keep from getting their head smashed. Yeah, I'll help 911. Say, you squeeze off a couple and you hurt the one you are helping or damage their property. Now, you have that deal with and the fact you have just neutralized their attacker for good. Two Law suits...curtains for you buddy.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

I voted #3. I would like to have voted #2, but I feel that everything is situational based. I'll defend myself and my family first and foremost, but I will certainly not turn away from helping someone who is in desperate need if I know my choice is the right one. It depends on the situation and what I can learn about it very quickly. Being FD/EMT it's in my blood and my mindset to help others whenever and wherever I can and I will do so by choice. But, myself, my family, my friends....we come first. Starting in FF1 and EMT class it's been drilled into my head. Risk vs Reward. We don't "Go" unless the reward is worth the risk. Risk a lot to save a lot, risk a little to save a little, risk nothing to save nothing. That's the philosophy I follow.

So, I'm a #3-#2... somewhere in there....
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Senior Moderator
    I voted for #3, because intervention is such a situational thing. First, I agree with Betty that interention can mean many things.

The level to which I will intervene is directly based on the knowledge I have of the situation. If I happen upon two guys fighting, I am not likely to intervene beyond calling 911 and informing them I have done so - I have no idea who the victim and aggressor actually are.

Now if I happen to see the initiation of hostilities, and am clear on who the victim is, that is a different story.

Of course, there are variables to consider - for example, if one of the parties is a law enforcement officer in uniform, it is pretty clear who is the party in the wrong and I'll hop in as needed.

Matt

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links