Intervention Rule? - Page 7

Intervention Rule?

This is a discussion on Intervention Rule? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you filled this poll out back in 2006 would you answer the same way today?? I would!...

View Poll Results: Intervention Rule?

Voters
378. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolute "For me and mine, ONLY!"

12 3.17%
  • I'll NOT stand idly by.

66 17.46%
  • Primarily "for me and mine," but may intervene under certain conditions.

275 72.75%
  • I don't honestly know.

25 6.61%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    If you filled this poll out back in 2006 would you answer the same way today??

I would!
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    It would have to be an extremely clear cut situation before I brought deadly force to bear on behalf of a stranger.

Too many landmines otherwise.

Senior Moderator
    If you filled this poll out back in 2006 would you answer the same way today??

I would!
    Most definatley.

The world is full of people that do nothing and are able to justify it for one reason or another.
    I am not one of them...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Yes, I'd still vote for #3. I consider my friends to be "my own" though, so...
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

I'll not stand idly by. If it is a very serious situation, I wouldn't (or couldn't) just stand there and watch or leave. If I thought I had time, however, I would take care of other business first, such as ensuring the authorities were notified and other people in the area are aware of what's going on.

Primarily "for me and mine," but may intervene

There are situations where I could not live with myself if I did not go to the aid of strangers.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I voted #3 I couldn't stand by and see someone get hurt or killed. I might intervene but it might not be with a gun. If I saw a cop getting the worst of it I would stop and help.

I went with #3. If something goes down in my immediate vicinity I may well intevene. If trouble comes to me I will not hesitate ( I hope) to engage, but I am not going to look for it. Maybe I am being overly cautious but I really fear the consequences of possibly engaging the wrong target.

Question: After the VT shooting, do any who voted 1 or 3 still feel that way? If you were carrying in Norris Hall (blatantly ignoring the VT rules, I know), would you jump out a window or move towards the BG?

Me and Mine...With a Caveat...

Me and mine first...leave me and mine alone...
    Depends upon the situation and my exit abilities...
    I'm no hero...I have no cape...
    I wish to harm no one...most other problems are NOT mine...
    Put me in a corner and I will react...I'm too old for this S#!T...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OfClanMcnab View Post
    Question: After the VT shooting, do any who voted 1 or 3 still feel that way? If you were carrying in Norris Hall (blatantly ignoring the VT rules, I know), would you jump out a window or move towards the BG?
    I voted 3), and I would stand by that. The condition for 3) was "intervene under certain circumstances," and I stand by my decision to make that choice in the specific situation. Would I have intervened in Norris Hall? Of course I would have. But I reserve that decision for myself, in the given moment...just as I would expect each of us to do, as rational people.

Quote Originally Posted by OfClanMcnab View Post
    I voted 3, but I'm a 2-3 like I mentioned earlier. My family first and foremost, if they are secure then it's #2. I certainly would not have been jumping out any windows if I was put into that situation.

You make a stand, you make a difference. I'm not the type to sit back and just let that happen.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Voted #2.

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing."
    +1 Just tonight I was walking through the Subway parking lot when I heard the unmistakable thump of a car wreck. Sure enough, 500' away were two cars in the intersection positioned in a T type collision. Assuming airbags had deployed, I jumped back in the truck and drove over to render aid. Oddly enough, 30 seconds after impact, and I was the second EMT on scene. Thankfully, no airbags, everyone was fine and I was able to rejoin my wife and Mom for dinner. So it's not in my character to stand by and watch people be killed or injured. Within reason that is . . .

I'm no mall ninja either, like people have said, I'm a 2.75 or something. If tonight's wreck had been a tanker truck oozing out methyl-ethyl-bad-stuff you can bet your booty I would have grabbed the wife and mom, evacuated Subway, and retreated to the house to watch it burn.
    "Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Absolutely. That plus twisted legalities mean: it had better be crystal clear. For me, if my life/limb is in harm's way, or of it's a bad situation that's obvious to all (ie, shootout at the corner store/mall), it's getting stopped. Otherwise, it's all to easy to play wannabe cop and mis-read a situation.
    The massacre at Virginia Tech does not change my position, no. I'm nobody's savior. However, if deep in it or if things blow sideways right in front of me, I'll do everything I can to terminate the threat.

Hopefully, this tragedy helps open legislators' eyes with respect to the simple reality of life in public: shti happens, when you least expect it. But you need not be forcibly disarmed by your own government and forced to be a defenseless victim. I'd like to think the blood of VT's victims means that much to people that this issue will finally get the hearing and consideration the dead deserve. Tomorrow's victims (uh, that would be all of us) demand no less.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

wj
    I also have voted #3. I carry for me and my family. However, if able to assist one person safely, I probably could not just stand there and allow a fellow human be harmed and do nothing! That is not my nature.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Links