Intervention Rule?

This is a discussion on Intervention Rule? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; #3, If I can help another great, but I'm going to be pretty convinced that I know what is going on first. The apparant aggressor ...

View Poll Results: Intervention Rule?

Voters
378. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolute "For me and mine, ONLY!"

12 3.17%
  • I'll NOT stand idly by.

66 17.46%
  • Primarily "for me and mine," but may intervene under certain conditions.

275 72.75%
  • I don't honestly know.

25 6.61%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Intervention Rule?

#3, If I can help another great, but I'm going to be pretty convinced that I know what is going on first. The apparant aggressor might not be BG.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    I origionaly voted 3,
    Primarily "for me and mine," but may intervene under certain conditions.
    In the case of what happens at VT, a threat roaming the halls of the building I am in, I am thiking I would post myself at the doorway, or hallway that gives a small buffer between myself and my family, if the gunman comes my way, we are going to have at it. If I am by myself, I would like to think that I would move with extreme caution towards the shooting, no great speed here, but watching my behind, and making sure any peolple along the way are okay. I don't think I could live with myself if I were to just hide in a closet and hope the person(s) go the other way killing whom ever they want along the way.

Disclaimer: I have never been in a life and death situation, and this is what I hope I could do, In reality, I hope it wouldn't happen, I could curl up into a fetal position in the corner and start sucking my thumb for all I know. My thoughts on if I would like to find out or not change, often.
    Part of me wishes I could have been there to help those kids, but then part of me is glad I was not in that kind of situation and hopes to never be in one.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Still would vote #2.

My daughter is a VT alum. I know the campus well. I've walked the Quad and seen the engineering building. My daughter even lived in Ambler Johnston for a while.

The images of this last week have hit me harder than I care to admit.

OK. . . let's do a hypothetical.

Think of someone who means more than life to you. Now. . . they are in that classroom.

I am down stairs attempting to leave the building when I see that the front door is chained. I am armed with a Glock 19 and two extra mags. I hear gun shots. People start screaming. I hear more gun shots. I find a doorway to provide cover and wait.

Still more guns shots. All the while I hear screaming from upstairs.

According to the timeline released by Tech, it appears that the shooter was in the building for about 30 minutes.

Now. . . . silence. The cops come in and secure the place.

You learn that this person who means more than life to you has been killed. You also learn that I was waiting downstairs ready to shoot ONLY if I am in danger.

What would you want to say to me?

I'm not talking about tactical planning; I'm talking about the emotions of a parent who just found out that their child was murdered and the one person who could have MAYBE made a difference didn't even try.

We can talk about tactics and what is "best" all day long. For me, it comes down to the fact that I couldn't look that parent in the face (nor my wife or daughter for that matter).

Like has been stated already, "All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing."
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

I would STILL vote for #2. Having worked as security officer for over 10 years, the instinct is more or less ingrained. I have been, and always will be, one of those who runs into the "burning house," and not away from it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Lowe View Post
    I would STILL vote for #2. Having worked as security officer for over 10 years, the instinct is more or less ingrained. I have been, and always will be, one of those who runs into the "burning house," and not away from it.
    Understood, and cannot disagree with your choice for you. For me, shootings will always have more potential for ambiguity than a burning house.

"Primarily "for me and mine," but may intervene under certain conditions."

I usually don't mind helping out. If the 'victim' is someone I know well - no question. If they are strangers or I didn't know the story, I'd be more motivated to try and prevent it from escalating. Coming up on an argument that is getting violent, clearly I wont know the whole story, and that's a touchy spot to shoot !!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Links