Intervention Rule?

Intervention Rule?

This is a discussion on Intervention Rule? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, maybe I'm the only one who has "problems" reading threads about getting involved in a situation that involves perceived threats to other than ourselves ...

View Poll Results: Intervention Rule?

Voters
378. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolute "For me and mine, ONLY!"

12 3.17%
  • I'll NOT stand idly by.

66 17.46%
  • Primarily "for me and mine," but may intervene under certain conditions.

275 72.75%
  • I don't honestly know.

25 6.61%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Intervention Rule?

Intervention Rule?

OK, maybe I'm the only one who has "problems" reading threads about getting involved in a situation that involves perceived threats to other than ourselves or family members.

I'd like to get a better idea of how people really feel about this. This time, I will NOT argue my views, but sit back quietly and learn from others.

No specific scenario, just the broad picture of seeing another individual (a total stranger,) being threatened with what you perceive to be a credible threat to their life, or at the least, a credible threat of serious bodily harm.

What I want to know is, do you personally have a policy of

1. Absolutely "For me and mine, ONLY."
    2. "I will NOT stand idly by"
    3. Primarily "me and mine," but may intervene under some conditions.
    4. I honestly do not know.

If you want to explain you choice, feel free to do so. I will NOT argue against you, as that's what I'm trying to avoid. I'd rather understand you.

If you can do it, it would be nice if you place a vote and give some sort of explanation of why you voted that way, without arguing against the explanation of others. We have several threads currently on-going where many of us, (including me,) are having that discussion, right now. I thought this might go smoother if we left the back-and-forth thing in those other threads.

The above is just a suggestion, it really isn't up to me anyway.

Tell you what, you don't have to follow my "rule," but I will.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    My views are allready out there for anyone who wants to search the forum i wont re hash them here either lol

AS long as this stays Friendly it will be Let Run No Fighting or Flameing i know this is a touchy subject so Everyone has been warned

Primarily "for me and mine," but may intervene under certain conditions is my vote

Assistant Administrator
    Yes as Bud said - we must be sure to keep things cool as it is an emotive subject.

I voted #3 Mike and it seems that is so far the leader. I will not get involved by default and easy choice - it is not my plan to be a hero, an LE wannabe or ninja.

That said and as I say so often - circumstances alter events and so it would be judged at the time - prefering lack of involvement but getting involved if my conscience and judgement dictated such. That is about as specific as I think I can ever be.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Mike, I voted "I'll NOT stand idly by." Although I debated over choosing 3 or 4. I would not be able to live with myself if I allowed a fellow human being to be hurt or killed if I were able to prevent it. I have no desire to be a LE or a hero either, but my upbringing and my Christian faith teach me that my life is worthless unless I use it for a greater good. This doesn't always require me to risk life and limb for another, but in the situation where that is what is required I must commit myself to it.

This in no way denigrates people who would choose 1 or 3 as their choice. This decision would be a very personal thing. I believe that most of us who are on this forum would in this type of situation intervene provided there was an actual possibility of saving a life.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Barring something like the Tacoma mall shootings, Luby's, etc., etc., where the BG is obviously a "BG", and intervention will clearly enhance/preserve the well-being/survival of others- "For me and mine, only".

+1 to the prevailing sentiment so far.

I carry for myself and my family's protection. Under dire circumstances, if I have the ability to safely assist someone in need, I believe I would do so.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

1952 - 2006
    I have to also agree with the majority here.

Although my reasons for carrying are to protect 'me and mine', I have a personal loathing for predators and would find it difficult to just stand-by and watch a stranger be killed when I have to ability to intervene.

My actions, or lack thereof, would greatly depend on the circumstances.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

I have had 2 incidences where I intervened, fortunately neither involved actually shooting; 1 I did draw, thumb the hammer on a single action revolver and aim. The second I just pulled back my jacket to show I was armed and that ended it; this case involved a family I was friends with, but the first was a case of 3 girls that were total strangers swimming in an abandoned quarry.

I am not saying I will intervene in any and all situations, but I don't think I could live with myself if I walked away and a woman was raped. Also coming home yesterday from a weekend trip I noticed that I check out the situation when a state trooper that has someone stopped to see if things look calm as I pass by. I rode on patrol with a sheriffs deputy buddy of mine for 7 years and I guess i still feel something of a bond there.

#3 If wife and kids are with me.
    But on the job Always.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    I wouldn't be able to go through life trying to forget what happened when I could have helped.

Just imagine replaying in your mind over and over, a woman getting beaten by some thug. Or some old lady getting her purse taken and watching her 80 year old husband getting stabbed.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

I vote primarly for me and those with me,,,but will jump in based on sitsuation,,,I'm retired now, but still carry the badge and retirement cred's issued me,, so depending on what was going on,and who it involved, I would become a class A witness

Senior Moderator
    I chose no.2.

Two things...

First...
    I dont beleive in coincidences. Everything happens for a purpose. If I find myself in a situation where my fellow man needs help and the Good Lord has given me the ability and the wisdom to deal with it, then I'm going to do my best...for the person that needs it and for the Lord.

Two...
    I beleive in the "Golden Rule."
    To paraphase it, it simply means to "treat others as you would you would like to be treated.

I am L.E. and its simply not in me to stand idly by when others need assistance. Its probably the very reason that I became a Reserve Deputy years ago.

I also understand the postition of others and I can respect that.
    In todays legal environment, one must think very seriously before they intervene due to the legal ramifications. But you know what? I'll be DANGED if I let some pissant lawyer dictate how I help my fellow man.

I voted #2 while leaning towards #3. Like HotGuns said, I will not allow a greedy lawyer to dictate my actions. I recognize that intervention may result in a legal battle and have accepted that. Naturally, every situation is different. I'm not going to shoot unless the bad guy is very clearly a bad guy. The Tacoma mall shooter comes to mind. He would have gotten no warning or hesitation from me, just several incoming rounds. The man in the mirror will be the final judge. He won't let me watch people die if I can prevent it, regardless of the cost.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

I chose #3 as well. If i am alone or with my family I will always be vigilant of my surroundings. If someone's life is actually in danger i will do my best to help that situation. Im not looking to be a hero but as others have said, my morals wont let me just pass it by if i could have helped that persons well being.
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links