Just thought I share this info for future FL CCW people

This is a discussion on Just thought I share this info for future FL CCW people within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You don't need to take the CCW course if you did the hunter safety course, (and bunch of other things) just show proof that oyu ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just thought I share this info for future FL CCW people

You don't need to take the CCW course if you did the hunter safety course, (and bunch of other things) just show proof that oyu did some type of gun shooting, and prove it with some kind of document...

I saved 75 bux because I found out I can just send me Military ID card today lol.... I could have done the same with the hunter safety course card

This info is available on the application from the FL agriculture, licensing dept website...

just thought I pass up the info and save some people 50+ bux!!! :)

I think FWC offers the hunters course free from time to time. I know a guy that I work with is taking a bow hunting safety course free.

I appreciated taking the CCW course mainly because they covered the laws for concealed carry.

Either way Jon H. Gutmacher's book is a good read!

Florida Firearms -- Law, Use & Ownership BOOK FOR SALE by Author JON H. GUTMACHER, Esq.

I would advise taking either an updated course prior to getting your permit, or taking a SD pistol course immediately after getting (or while waiting for your permit) to become familiar with FL laws and their interpretations.
    Is is important that you understand the responsibility associated with CCW.
    Hunter safety prepares you for nothing in the real world other than simple hunter safety. OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    While saving $50.00 is a good thing, you do miss out on what is taught about your state CC laws by not taking the course. That in the long run could cost you a lot more in legal fees and possible loss of license. Being prior military and already a permit holder in another state exempted me from the course in VA. I took it any way just to learn VA laws.

Lead Moderator
    AS far as I know Florida has always accepted a DD214 as "training". Sometimes folks just got to read the instructions!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

About those laws... I'm sorry but half those CCW instructors don't know what they are saying... they told my friend that he can't carry in movie theaters, and to leave the weapon in the car if there is a sign that says 'no firearms'

I'll learn the laws myself, thank you very much.

When my uncle took it, the gu didn't even know the Castle Doctrine! I know its not CCW related, but please!

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Instructors are good, but doing your own research is better. Considering I know a few LEOs that think all eating places, even those that dont serve booze, are offlimits.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Lets see, if you ever have to use it in self defense, some lawyer will review how you obtained your permit, oh, he used a ten year old hunter's safety card..... no thanks.

I took the class, and while the instructor reviewed the laws, he also told us we needed to read them for ourselves and understand them. And if I ever have to use it, my lawyer can call my instructor to the stand, and he will be able to produce the curriculum he taught from, as well as my range qualification target.

JMO, YMMV
    NRA Life Member.
    H&K USP Compact .40
    Among others.

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    AS far as I know Florida has always accepted a DD214 as "training". Sometimes folks just got to read the instructions!
    That's what I did, just sent a photocopy of my DD214.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDave View Post
    Lets see, if you ever have to use it in self defense, some lawyer will review how you obtained your permit, oh, he used a ten year old hunter's safety card..... no thanks.
    and my lawyer will tell them that my military service is more than satisfactory, if not better than shooting a pistol with one bullet loaded in it....

Quote Originally Posted by Erich1B View Post
    That's what I did, just sent a photocopy of my DD214.
    Me too. No class required, but my DD214 dated back to 1966. Legal
    and I have my FL CWL....BUT I felt I owed myself more education. so I have read Jon Gutmacher's book twice and took a private professionally taught SD handling course. Comfort level now good but more range time the order of the day.

You should serious consider taking a class on the laws that will impact on you as a ccw permit holder. I'm former military myself but keeping with that in and of itself doesn't give you the laws of concealed carry. This should include the areas of the law when you can & can't discharge a firearm. JMHO!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

While acquiring the permit with an "Old" document is a perfectly legitimate tactic and less costly, it is in YOUR best interest to get educated. I took the course and really walked away with alot of good information. Most of it I already knew but some of it was eye opening. It just gives you more options AND they can help you with the application (Worth the money by itself). If you don't fill it out just right, they will drag out an already lenghty process. My buddy submitted with his DD214 but checked something in error, he will be lucky to see his CCW in under 180 days because of the "clerical" error.
    2A is not negotiable

Regarding concealed weapons & firearms laws in Florida, they're readily available to read in Fl Statutes Chapter 790. While I'm no lawyer, I did not see the need to pay to have someone tell me something that I can read for free. I also did not need any assistantance with filling out application forms, which were freely provided by the licensing agency.

Others may feel different, but that's JMO.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Erich1B View Post
    Regarding concealed weapons & firearms laws in Florida, they're readily available to read in Fl Statutes Chapter 790. While I'm no lawyer, I did not see the need to pay to have someone tell me something that I can read for free. I also did not need any assistantance with filling out application forms, which were freely provided by the licensing agency.

Others may feel different, but that's JMO.
    I have to agree....I used my DD214, saved some $$$
    Now I"m spending my waiting time reading up on Chapter 790 at my own pace. I also agree that it's a good idea to be up to speed on current laws and regulations. This is a good thread.
    To disarm the people - that is the best and most effective way to enslave them.
    (George Mason)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links