Concealed carrying in grocery stores + malls

This is a discussion on Concealed carrying in grocery stores + malls within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by TN_Mike We went to a Value City furniture store on Germantown across from Wolfchase Mall here in East Memphis. It was there ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Concealed carrying in grocery stores + malls

sss
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    We went to a Value City furniture store on Germantown across from Wolfchase Mall here in East Memphis. It was there that I saw my first sign. I was shocked.
    What is it with furniture stores and gunbuster signs? I've been to two in Houston so far, both of which had signs up. Granted, the signs weren't even close to legal as defined by Texas law (Texas Department of Public Safety - Courtesy, Service, Protection) so I ignored them, but it's still weird that I'm mostly just seeing the signs up at furniture stores.

I wasn't too surprised that they didn't want any weapons on the premises after I went in and was hassled by their pushy salesmen...
    "A professional politician is a professionally dishonorable man. In order to get anywhere near high office he has to make so many compromises and submit to so many humiliations that he becomes indistinguishable from a streetwalker." - H.L. Mencken

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    Just the kind of thinking antis love.

So what will you stand for?
    I'm not the person this is directed at but I think that I will reply anyway. In response I would say that I will stand up for peace. I will move on to keep the peace. Until I can no longer yield without injury to myself or mine. YMMV.

Just to be on the safe side, everyone should take the time to actually read their state code themselves. I'm in Oklahoma and EVERYONE I spoke to on the subject said that all they could do is ask you to leave. As long as you left upon their request there were no legal consequences.

Of course, as you might imagine...not true. According to our SDA if you're "made" in an establishment and the staff decides to report it then you've got a misdemeanor, fine and 6-month suspension of your CCL, whether or not you left upon request.
    "Tough luck Lonahan, but that's what you get for playing with your head up your ass."

In Colorado, the state law allows private businesses to prohibit firearms on premise and requires signage at all entrances indicating such. If posted, we're not allowed to carry concealed or openly in the establishment. The law seems pretty loose on what is considered appropriate signage and where it needs to be placed in order to be conspicuous.

Since receiving my permit, I now try to pay much closer attention to the doors and windows of the businesses I frequent. Many use a very discrete bar-and-circle sticker with no verbiage placed far out of the sight line or area around the push bar or door handle.

Interestingly, there's a local video game shop that has a sign forbidding weapons but permitting a CCW permit holder to carry within the store. I thought that was perfect. I just opened a thread relating an experience I had yesterday with that. Tiny-ass little sticker at the very bottom edge of the door... WAY WAY WAY out of the line of sight.

Carry anyway. If you do it correctly, no one will be the wiser.

The only place it is an issue for me is at one of my local malls. The funny thing is I really could ignore their signs if I wanted to. The mall entrances are posted, but the entrances to the anchor stores, or from those stores to the interior of the mall! The only store this mall has that really has any attraction for me is Bass Pro, and of course, they are not posted. I asked the manager one night about their "All firearms and bows must be inspected" sign and he said that was for stuff being brought in for service. He said that does not apply to personal protection weapons.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Hmm, not carry at the grocery store? Uh no gun, no groceries for this girl. The least violent grocery store of the three near me has a mini-bank inside that has been held up at gunpoint three times in two years.
    Grocery shopping without my firearm is not an option.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

I live in Missouri and have my CCW permit but I work in Kansas. The company I work for is in the process of putting up the no weapons allowed signs. It is also a privately owned comany if anyone should ask. Since I carry to and from work I am going to have to park my car off of their property in order to comply with their policy. I am not sure of Kansas has any preempting laws reguarding whether or not I can legally park on their property with my weapon in my car. Can anyone please help me with this? Trying to fiined anything at the State's web site is almost impossible.

Just an added note. I found the answer to my question. According to the passage of HB2528 I can legally park my car on the company's property with the weapon in it.

Just took the CCW. in Misssouri, The sign is supposed to be 11" x 14" with letters no less than 1" tall, If not, Not a legal sign, The instructor says sometimes they put up a small sign knowing, That the CCW's will know the difference, and carry anyway, Just posted it for the Anti-Gunners!!

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    MikeCU, you're absolutely right! You just have to make sure that your gun doesn't become exposed. When I carry my XD 45, it's in an IWB holster, covered by a shirt which hangs over the gun. Regardless, I always have my Glock 26 in my right front pocket, and you can't tell. So I never worry. Of course, if the signs carried a legal sanction, other than being asked to leave, I wouldn't go in, just as I don't carry in the post office, or other facilities on the list. Since the signs have no legal standing here, as I mentioned above, I don't even look for them.

In TN it is a criminal act and $500.00 fine to violate a properly posted warning.

Shop elsewhere.
    Keep your powder dry

walk right past them, armed. those signs mean nothing.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

I too live in WA and carry 24/7 everywhere I go.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links