Concealed carrying in grocery stores + malls

This is a discussion on Concealed carrying in grocery stores + malls within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In Washington state, there are some retailers who place signs that they are a "gun free zone". I have never seen those signs yet in ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Concealed carrying in grocery stores + malls

In Washington state, there are some retailers who place signs that they are a "gun free zone". I have never seen those signs yet in the 10 years I have lived here. From the news I read, most crime happens in retail outlets like malls, 7/11s, gas stations, banks and parking lots of grocery stores.

I was wondering if some of more experienced members had suggestions or opinions about this.
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

Not sure about Washington but in SC if the sign does not meet certain criteria it doesnt mean a thing legally.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Here in Las Vegas all the malls I know have signs posted at the entrances advising that firearms are not permitted. They don't mention that they are a "Gun Free Zone" but I suppose they could put one up that reads, "Target Rich Zone."
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

As one that lives a couple miles from you, I carry every were except , bars, and government buildings. Would you really go into our Walmart or Westfield Mall unarmed. If it came to it I would rather take my chances with 12 when it comes to mine and my families life.

I personally I dont pay to much attention to gun free signs unless I know that I cant legally carry there because all they can do is ask you to leave. In WA state preemption basically means that cant arrest you for bringing your gun in, but if you do get made they can ask you to leave. If you dont then thats where your going to get busted for trespassing. Anyways, sense I'm not good at explaining things here is the WA RCW on state preemption.

RCW 9.41.290 State preemption.

The state of Washington hereby fully occupies and preempts the entire field of firearms regulation within the
    boundaries of the state, including the registration, licensing, possession, purchase, sale, acquisition, transfer,
    discharge, and transportation of firearms, or any other element relating to firearms or parts thereof, including
    ammunition and reloader components. Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities may enact only
    those laws and ordinances relating to firearms that are specifically authorized by state law, as in RCW

9.41.300, and are consistent with this chapter. Such local ordinances shall have the same penalty as provided
    for by state law. Local laws and ordinances that are inconsistent with, more restrictive than, or exceed the
    requirements of state law shall not be enacted and are preempted and repealed, regardless of the nature of the
    code, charter, or home rule status of such city, town, county, or municipality.

We have the signs in Kansas. If they meet the Attorney General's criteria and are conspicuously posted then the owner of the establishment can bust you for trespassing if you carry (whether you voluntarily leave or not). Check the applicable laws...only way you'll know for sure.

HKR
    In Georgia signs have no legal bearing, they just indicate to me that the business wants me to spend my money at one of their competitors.

The malls all have something in their "code of conduct" about no weapons, but I just have to ignore them as my wife insists on visiting the awful places.

For Kansas there is one and only one 'Gun Buster' sign specifically described in the Law.

If you did not see or ignored the sign, the worst that can happen [other than loose your conceal license] is that you could be arrested for trespassing if you fail to leave the building when asked by management/staff.

My CHL cost $250 and a 60 day wait. I am not going to jeporidize loosing it to make a lame point about some non-compliant sign. Just move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ksthumper View Post
    My CHL cost $250 and a 60 day wait. I am not going to jeporidize loosing it to make a lame point about some non-compliant sign. Just move on.
    Just the kind of thinking antis love.

So what will you stand for?
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo2 View Post
    As one that lives a couple miles from you, I carry every were except , bars, and government buildings...
    I'm pretty much on line with this approach as I’m fairly confident a lot more folks are too. If someone should see it, Ok then leave. If they don’t (most likely) who cares? If you should ever have to use it under those conditions, then it wouldn't really matter to me at that point.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

In NH there are no legally binding signs, but if they don't want your gun there, why bother giving them business?
    Criminals For Gun Control
    Brady's Campaign Pro-Gun Forum

Member: NRA, PG-NH, GO-NH
    Life Member: JPFO, GOA
    Clubs: LF&GC

Go about your business 'safely'...concealed is concealed.

Stay armed...Shhhhhhh...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

West Virginia doesn't have a particular type sign, but it has to be posted, or if it is a private residence, they must tell you or post a sign. I have on a few occasions seen signs banning firearms, and those are legal. If I don't see a sign, then it's ok. Exceptions are the usual local, state, federal and school property that isn't required to post them.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Pikachu, I don't know if you're aware or not, but those signs have no legal meaning in Nevada. You can be asked to leave, but that's it. Signs mean absolutely nothing. I continue to carry in malls, hospitals, etc. It's concealed, and unless I have to draw, no one will be aware of it.

Squawker, You do raise a valid point that the signs really don't have any legal meaning. The worst they would do is ask me to leave. And as your mentioned, concealed means concealed. lol
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links