Recipient of "man with gun call"

This is a discussion on Recipient of "man with gun call" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sounds like the encounter was a pretty good one by my book. The LEO's did the right thing and even encouraged him to keep carrying. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recipient of "man with gun call"

Sounds like the encounter was a pretty good one by my book. The LEO's did the right thing and even encouraged him to keep carrying. The volunteer coordinator at the event is the one that had the issues.

Oh well, hope he keeps it concealed better in the future, no harm, no foul.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

2. Remove Ads

With some of the LEO encounters I read about I think this one could not have gone any better. Sounds like a very respectable officer that didn't see any need to take it further. Lesson learned. Could have stayed and enjoyed the parade if you wished.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Sounds like the encounter was a pretty good one by my book. The LEO's did the right thing and even encouraged him to keep carrying. The volunteer coordinator at the event is the one that had the issues.

Oh well, hope he keeps it concealed better in the future, no harm, no foul.
    Just to clarify...it was my brother this happened to. That being said, I don't blame the volunteer coordinator for "dismissing" my brother from his daily task. He was most definately shook up by the ordeal (he is VERY quiet and while level headed, deals with stress like 7 cops staring at you with their hands on their holstered weapons a bit like many of us would...).

If I were the volunteer coordinator I would have done the same thing. Perhaps not for the same reasons he MAY have had...but the same none the less.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

All in all, this probably went about as well as could be expected under the circumstances. Seems like a pretty level headed LEO.

VIP Member
    Sounds to me it well also, ashame about the organizations reaction, must've made the sheep neverous.

VIP Member
    I read the post twice and I failed to see the big deal. If I understand correctly, the wind blew and your son didn’t realize that his gun was ever exposed (it happens). I guess the event coordinator was never made aware of your son’s permit, so maybe that's why he was told he wasn't needed. Anyway, all’s well that ends well.
    Regards,
    Last edited by Saber; May 12th, 2009 at 08:02 AM.
    ďMonsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.Ē
    ~ Stephen King

I didn't realize that you had to inform LEO immediately simply because you happen to speak to them in a public place. If you see one on the other side of the street in MI do you have to holler over there "HEY OFFICER! I'M PACKING!" or what??

Double post please delete if possible

Quote Originally Posted by be44321 View Post
    I didn't realize that you had to inform LEO immediately simply because you happen to speak to them in a public place. If you see one on the other side of the street in MI do you have to holler over there "HEY OFFICER! I'M PACKING!" or what??
    MICHIGAN STATE POLICE WEBSITE

Proper Conduct During Encounters with Police

Responsibilities of Individuals With a CCW License:

1. An individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol who is stopped by a police officer (traffic stop or otherwise) while in possession of a pistol shall immediately disclose to the police officer that he or she is carrying a concealed pistol either on their person or in their motor vehicle.

So no you do not have to inform the officer across the street nor do you have to inform the officer that walks past you while you are drinking your coffee and reading a newspaper and says to you "good day sir". It has to be an official interaction in the line of duty.

But if you do not follow the rules or if the officer feels that he really needs to stick to the letter of the law during an official stop this is what you can look forward to FYI:

* Failure to disclose this information to a police officer carries the following penalties:

* First offense = State Civil Infraction - $500 fine and 6-month CCW license suspension.
    * Second offense = State Civil Infraction - $1000 fine and CCW license revocation.

2. An individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol shall have the license in his or her possession at all times he or she is carrying a concealed pistol.

* Failure to possess CCW license when carrying a concealed pistol is a State Civil Infraction and a $100.00 fine.

3. Upon request, an individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol shall show both of the following to a police officer:

* His or her license to carry a concealed pistol
    * His or her driver license or personal identification card

* Failure to show CCW license and Michigan driver license or Michigan personal identification card when carrying a concealed pistol is a State Civil Infraction and $100.00 fine.

4. A pistol carried in violation of numbers 1, 2, or 3 is subject to immediate seizure by a police officer.

* If a weapon is seized for failure to possess a CCW license while carrying a concealed pistol:

* Individual has 45 days in which to display their license to carry a concealed pistol to the law enforcement agency that seized the pistol and the pistol shall be returned.

* If the individual does not display their license to carry a concealed pistol within 45 days the pistol is subject to forfeiture.

To Ensure Safety During Police Encounters

If you are stopped by a law enforcement officer you should:

* Keep your hands where an officer can see them.
    * Cooperate fully with the police officer.
    * If you have a gun with you, tell the police officer as soon as possible.
    * Do not make any quick movements, especially toward the weapon.
    * If in a vehicle at night, turn on your vehicle's dome light.

In certain circumstances, a law enforcement officer may take temporary possession of the weapon during interaction with the individual to ensure the safety of the officer and others. The police officer will return the pistol at the end of the stop unless the individual is being charged with a violation of the act or any other law that allows for the weapon to be seized.

Sounds like a pretty good law enforcement encounter to me. They coulda been very difficult, but were professional and courteous. No blood, no foul, and he won't soon forget the lesson!

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    I read the post twice and I failed to see the big deal. If I understand correctly, the wind blew and your son didnít realize that his gun was ever exposed (it happens). I guess the event coordinator was never made aware of your sonís permit, so maybe that's why he was told he wasn't needed. Anyway, allís well that ends well.
    Regards,
    I really think that you need to read it again here. It was my BROTHER (not son, 2 and 11yrs old...not quite "legal" to carry).

This was only a big deal to someone who carries! I have carried for a long time and I am not a big fan of having 7 cops "talk" to me about anything in that sort of environment. This was a HUGE parade (third largest in the nation), with MANY locals (many of which know my brother), they also removed his weapon in a public area and you fail to see the issue here?!?!

I am not afraid of attention, speak in front of large crowds, have instructed hundreds of people on various topics from proper shooting to driving tecqniques, I know 1/2 the cops in the area after working with hundreds of them and THIS SITUATION IS NOT SOMETHING I WOULD EVER WANT TO HAVE HAPPEN TO ME OR ANYONE I LIKE!

Sorry, not trying to be cruel here but really, who among us would enjoy this sort of "attention"...I am sure all the bystanders assumed that this was a "good LEO interaction"...although I believe it did go quite well.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

He was lucky! The LEO's were actually cool about the whole thing and that's rear especially since he didn't inform them. We all gotta learn it some time right!
    The sheepdog is both blessed and cursed with the capacity for violence, and a profound love for the flock. This is what makes the warrior different from the wolf.
    -Dave Grossman

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links