Recipient of "man with gun call"

This is a discussion on Recipient of "man with gun call" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I am proud of one of my little brothers! Last Thursday he got his CPL after going before the gun board (without any issues...gotta ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recipient of "man with gun call"

Recipient of "man with gun call"

Well I am proud of one of my little brothers! Last Thursday he got his CPL after going before the gun board (without any issues...gotta love a "shall issue" state!).

Well the first time he carried in public was NOT WalMart, 7 11, grocery store, NAPA... He carried to the Tulip Time Festival in Holland (where he is from). This means 100's of thousands of people and a cop at every corner. I too had carried to the festival earlier this week, with no incident (as I have for many years prior, due to my wife pulling the "family time" card and "forcing" me to go with her and the kids). Well his trip did not go so well...

He had volunteered to help direct parking at the civic center and apparently as he was walking to his post his shirt rode up and revealed his M&P .45 compact in olive drab. When he got to the volunteer station he was "greeted" by a few boys in blue and they asked if he would come with them. ..

Of course he did but he neglected to tell them IMMEDIATLY that he was a legal CCW holder as he had his CPL. They were "nice" enough to pull out his wallet for him and they asked if he had a weapon on him, Of course he answered yes and the asked why...He said "to protect myself and those around me from great bodily harm or rape"...they said, "good reason" and long story short he was told by the volunteer coordinator that "they were all set with volunteers for the days parade" and "We no longer need you". A friendly cop walked him to his vehicle and was kind enough to tell my brother not to let this eat him as he should continue to carry for the reason he had stated.

NOT a good LEO encounter but my brother learned some VERY valuable lessons in proper dress and that you MUST tell a LEO that you are carrying IMMEDIATLY! He admits that he was scared out of his gourd and that it was "only by the grace of God that I did not get a civil infraction".

Remeber to ALWAYS carry, NEVER tell and ALWAYS conceal!
    Pray for our nations leaders!

2. Remove Ads

Very good lesson, thank you for posting it.

Biker

VIP Member
    Bummer but still a good lesson for all of us. Thanks for sharing!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by nosights View Post
    Well I am proud of one of my little brothers! Last Thursday he got his CPL after going before the gun board (without any issues...gotta love a "shall issue" state!).

Well the first time he carried in public was NOT WalMart, 7 11, grocery store, NAPA... He carried to the Tulip Time Festival in Holland (where he is from). This means 100's of thousands of people and a cop at every corner. I too had carried to the festival earlier this week, with no incident (as I have for many years prior, due to my wife pulling the "family time" card and "forcing" me to go with her and the kids). Well his trip did not go so well...

He had volunteered to help direct parking at the civic center and apparently as he was walking to his post his shirt rode up and revealed his M&P .45 compact in olive drab. When he got to the volunteer station he was "greeted" by a few boys in blue and they asked if he would come with them. ..

Of course he did but he neglected to tell them IMMEDIATLY that he was a legal CCW holder as he had his CPL. They were "nice" enough to pull out his wallet for him and they asked if he had a weapon on him, Of course he answered yes and the asked why...He said "to protect myself and those around me from great bodily harm or rape"...they said, "good reason" and long story short he was told by the volunteer coordinator that "they were all set with volunteers for the days parade" and "We no longer need you". A friendly cop walked him to his vehicle and was kind enough to tell my brother not to let this eat him as he should continue to carry for the reason he had stated.

NOT a good LEO encounter but my brother learned some VERY valuable lessons in proper dress and that you MUST tell a LEO that you are carrying IMMEDIATLY! He admits that he was scared out of his gourd and that it was "only by the grace of God that I did not get a civil infraction".

Actually, in MI you must, but he knows that now.
    Sounds like he was treated pretty respectfully.

Stay armed...know state requirements...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

He did the right thing.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

VIP Member
    It went well They could have giving Him a hard time.

Quote Originally Posted by nosights View Post

and long story short he was told by the volunteer coordinator that "they were all set with volunteers for the days parade" and "We no longer need you". A friendly cop walked him to his vehicle and was kind enough to tell my brother not to let this eat him as he should continue to carry for the reason he had stated.

It sounds like the encounter with the LEO went quite well. The problem seems to be with the sheep.

Michael

'Great bodily harm or rape'?

Whatever happened to 'death'? LOL

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I think that the LE encounter went well. He had to leave, but that was the organization, not the police. The police were actually encouraging.

I agree that the encounter went very well since he's required to immediately inform.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

In that situation he should have advised the officer he had a ccw permit. It could have gone much worse under the circumstances.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Sounds like a pretty good LEO encounter, bad encounter with the officials running the show.

jfl
    I'll remember that the next time I want to wiggle out of volunteer work
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

For clarification (in Michigan) he doesn't have to go up to a officer and let him know just because they are in the area. Only if the officer approaches him for an offical reason. (Like what happened to him) But if you see an officer on the corner you do not have to tell him your armed.

It's too bad that the sheep didn't want a sheepdog to help out. You never know where the wolves will be.

That sucks but maybe a good lesson learned.

I come hear to learn from others' mistakes
    2A is not negotiable

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links