Riding public transportation bus while carrying...

This is a discussion on Riding public transportation bus while carrying... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Once I settle in a state, I will be "deprived" of a reliable vehicle for a while -- possibly up to a year. Can't afford ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riding public transportation bus while carrying...

Riding public transportation bus while carrying...

Once I settle in a state, I will be "deprived" of a reliable vehicle for a while -- possibly up to a year.

Can't afford to drive a junker vehicle across the country to a destination.

I will attempt to earn a license to operate a cc-specific motorcycle yet to be bought and owned by me after holding down steady employment.

However, in the process of obtaining a concealed carry license in a "lenient" county, riding the public transportation bus might pose a problem because there may be a policy that prohibit the carrying of a firearm, irrespective of the fact the carrier is licensed.

If I do obtain the license in the "long shot," and there is a public transportation policy prohibiting the carrying of a firearm, should I compose the letter to the public transportation authority and/or local PD/county attorney office to request exemption based on my "impeccable character" record to circumvent such ridiculous disarmament policy?

I can walk in the area while carrying as a licensee. What if the car broke that had to be sent to the repair shop for a week and I have local & 'less' trustworthy friends (too busy to help) which force me to ride the bus and "give up" the right to self-defense?

Would one say "oh well, good luck being safe in the meantime"?

2. Remove Ads

jfl
    Check the rules of the public transportation agency; chances are you won't like it.
    Getting an exemption try but don't hold your breath.
    If you want to stay legal, get a good pepper spray, like the FoxLabs.
    Not great, but better than nothing.

Good luck !
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

As you enter the world of 'public transportation', you will not be armed...in most places that I am familiar with....

Stay armed...if not on public transportation...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    If you do find that public transportation forbids firearms, make sure they actually have the legal authority to do so. I think in my city, it is against the 'rules' but not against the law. I don't think anything positive can come from requesting an exemption, unless they have a pre-existing policy of exempting people like you.

ETA: Have you considered whether you would be safer 'unarmed on a bus' or 'armed on a motorcycle'? I don't know the answer but a gun won't do much for you if you are hit by a car while on a bike. Is there no way you can bring the junker with you? That seems to answer both problems if you can manage it.

In Washington state you are allowed to carry concealed on public transportation. This came about in the last 4 years due to lawsuits against the counties and the state supreme court ruled that concealed carry is legal and that counties overstepped their authority by banning it. The state has a preemption law that says no city or county can make a law more stringent that the state law. Even the handicapped shuttle buses now allow concealed carry.
    gunfighter 48
    A 45 may not expand but it will never be smaller than .45!!!
    NRA Life Member

I don't see why taking public transportation should have an impact on CCW issues. I see only one type problem with CCW on public transportation.

Here in Vegas the C.A.T. (Citizen's Area Transit) bus system DOES have some bus routes that drive through a few college campuses. So the issue of carrying onto schools of higher education does come into play! But as long as your passing through campus & not exiting the bus should not be an issue under the circumstances.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Carrying a gun on a bus in Missouri is a big No Go! For some crazy reason it's actually a felony! Go figure.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Here in Portland Oregon they have a policy against it, but it's legal. And - a guy used his CCW in self defense and shot a man dead in the bus a few years back - and didn't see any trouble for it.

Quote Originally Posted by gunfighter48 View Post
    In Washington state you are allowed to carry concealed on public transportation. This came about in the last 4 years due to lawsuits against the counties and the state supreme court ruled that concealed carry is legal and that counties overstepped their authority by banning it. The state has a preemption law that says no city or county can make a law more stringent that the state law. Even the handicapped shuttle buses now allow concealed carry.
    I posed that same question to Rocky Mountain Gun Owners (RMGO - Home is an active 2A organization here in Colo) about the light rail system in Denver. RMGO didn't see any problem carrying on public transportation.

I don't know if I would ride public transportation if I couldn't go armed.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    I

I don't know if I would ride public transportation if I couldn't go armed.
    As I remember correctly a guy named Bernie Goetz had to take care of business a few years ago while using public transportation.

VIP Member
    Here in Virginia carry is OK on State & local owned public transportation.

Some place have public subsidized service provided RRs. That's another issue.

15.2-915. Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies.

A. No locality shall adopt or enforce any ordinance, resolution or motion, as permitted by 15.2-1425, and no agent of such locality shall take any administrative action, governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying, storage or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof other than those expressly authorized by statute. For purposes of this section, a statute that does not refer to firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, shall not be construed to provide express authorization.

Nothing in this section shall prohibit a locality from adopting workplace rules relating to terms and conditions of employment of the workforce. Nothing in this section shall prohibit a law-enforcement officer, as defined in 9.1-101 from acting within the scope of his duties.

The provisions of this section applicable to a locality shall also apply to any authority or to a local governmental entity, including a department or agency, but not including any local or regional jail or juvenile detention facility.

B. Any local ordinance, resolution or motion adopted prior to the effective date of this act governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, other than those expressly authorized by statute, is invalid.
    [emphasis added]
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Driving a junker across country isn't a good idea, but once you get to your new location, why not buy a cheap car? A junker has got to be better than riding the bus, regardless of their policies on CCW.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    As I remember correctly a guy named Bernie Goetz had to take care of business a few years ago while using public transportation.
    Yep. That's exactly what I was thinking when I wrote my post.

I was living back in NJ when Bernie shot a couple of thugs who had surrounded him in a subway car and were about to mug him. He had previously been mugged on the subway.

*Goetz had all the rules of self defense & lethal force going for him but was nevertheless, charged charged with attempted murder, assault, reckless endangerment, and several gun crimes. A Manhattan jury found him not guilty of all charges except an illegal firearms possession count, for which he served two-thirds of a one year sentence. Goetz and others have cited his actions as a contributing factor to the groundswell movement against urban crime and disorder, and successful National Rifle Association campaigns to loosen restrictions on the concealed carry of firearms.

*Wikipedia
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

I occasionally ride the bus in the Seattle area (once or two days a month) and WITHOUT FAIL I am always on the bus with a person whom I would describe as "crazy" (intoxicated, yelling, talking to him/herself, fighting with someone etc.) I will never ride the bus unarmed, and thankfully I am legal.

alot of non govt contracted mass transit ie phili, baltimore, and nyc ect they have the legal right due to they make all subway stations and buses and trains private property so they can do so but i found that they will not the bus driver will most likely think you are a cop and not care... not incouraging you to break the law just saying if you look respectable with a nice holster with a retention strap even cops wont look more than once, just use a galco police approved off duty holster

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links