Had to disarm in front of coworkers

This is a discussion on Had to disarm in front of coworkers within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just try and manage the fallout best youcan and move on....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Had to disarm in front of coworkers

Just try and manage the fallout best youcan and move on.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

2. Remove Ads

I don't think there is much you could have done in any of the mentioned situations. Sorry it happened to you, but if it makes you feel better this will provide me with something to think about and consider as I begin work in an environment that I'm not sure how I'm going to carry in a few months!
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by cred View Post
    Most of my coworkers know I carry- but they don't know I carry at work. I know - no one should know, but one person found out and jokingly told everyone. A few harsh conversations later and the conversations are quiet. 6 months later...
    Anyway - I work at a place that under normal circumstances guns are never prohibited - but I asked our administration and received "written authorization" to carry.
    On a lunch outing with coworkers we happened to choose a restaurant where I cannot carry. As I approached the door I stood in front of a "licensed or unlicensed carry... felony..." blah blah.
    Since I wasn't driving I had to ask the driver if I could borrow his keys because I left something in the car.
    Well, my little ruse didn't fair well And they all knew why I had to go back to the car.
    Now they all know I carry at work.
    Mistakes on my part:
    1. Never tell- I never told anyone but one guy litterally grabbed my holster while he fell ( grabbed me to keep from falling) so he knew. I told him to keep quiet, but one moment of negligent ignorance told the others.
    2. I should have checked the restaurant before we left. We didn't know where we were going to eat so it was a crap shoot- which is my fault for taking those odds.

Go ahead - rip me a new one. Give me your opinions and criticism.
    What happened to you can happen to anybody. Personally, I don't let people get too close to me as a general rule, especially when I carry a handgun. The closer people get, the likelihood that someone will find out increases. I am not neurotic about it and I try not to make it obvious. I just don't want people to make any contact with my handgun. It can only lead to problems.

You didn't now where you were going to eat. Maybe you had time to check, maybe not. Did you really have to disarm? Does the law require you to do so?
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    At a previous job, during a conversation about guns, I mentioned that I carried. Like you, no one knew that I carried at work. One evening, one of the docs and I were on duty, and she was getting ready to leave. As she was leaving, she bumped into the gun in my right front pocket, and recognized what it was (she's a shooter, and was considering getting her CCW). She said something on the order of "That's interesting!", then she said "Don't worry, I'm happy about it, it makes me feel safer!" So, no one else learned of the incident, and I continued to carry. I was very happy about her attitude.

VIP Member
    Just kidding, but this reminds me of an old Hells Angels motto.
    How do three people keep a secret? ~ When two of the three are dead.

Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    As the Klingons say, that which does not kill us, makes us stronger.
    I thought that was Nietzsche who said that.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Dawg View Post
    I thought that was Nietzsche who said that.
    Nietzsche was a Klingon?
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

I wouldn't worry about it...you can't possibly foresee all situations...such is life.

Stay armed...move on...stay safe!
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; May 12th, 2009 at 08:38 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    . As she was leaving, she bumped into the gun in my right front pocket, and recognized what it was (she's a shooter, and was considering getting her CCW). She said something on the order of "That's interesting!", then she said "Don't worry, I'm happy about it.
    Sure it was your handgun?

Keep a small messenger bag at work or in the car. You can get one under $50

Travelon Leather Expandable Messenger Style Bag - Black - Free Shipping & Return Shipping

If ever you get into a situation like this, slip your ammo+gun into the bag. If anyone asks, say its your medication.

These bags look stylish with business casual and formal wear and no one will suspect you have a weapon inside.
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links