Had to disarm in front of coworkers

This is a discussion on Had to disarm in front of coworkers within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Most of my coworkers know I carry- but they don't know I carry at work. I know - no one should know, but one person ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Had to disarm in front of coworkers

Had to disarm in front of coworkers

Most of my coworkers know I carry- but they don't know I carry at work. I know - no one should know, but one person found out and jokingly told everyone. A few harsh conversations later and the conversations are quiet. 6 months later...
    Anyway - I work at a place that under normal circumstances guns are never prohibited - but I asked our administration and received "written authorization" to carry.
    On a lunch outing with coworkers we happened to choose a restaurant where I cannot carry. As I approached the door I stood in front of a "licensed or unlicensed carry... felony..." blah blah.
    Since I wasn't driving I had to ask the driver if I could borrow his keys because I left something in the car.
    Well, my little ruse didn't fair well And they all knew why I had to go back to the car.
    Now they all know I carry at work.
    Mistakes on my part:
    1. Never tell- I never told anyone but one guy litterally grabbed my holster while he fell ( grabbed me to keep from falling) so he knew. I told him to keep quiet, but one moment of negligent ignorance told the others.
    2. I should have checked the restaurant before we left. We didn't know where we were going to eat so it was a crap shoot- which is my fault for taking those odds.

Go ahead - rip me a new one. Give me your opinions and criticism.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cred View Post
    Go ahead - rip me a new one. Give me your opinions and criticism.
    No need to, you already did it yourself. Lesson learned, time to move on. As the Klingons say, that which does not kill us, makes us stronger.

Thanks for sharing, now hopefully a lot of us will have learned from your experience.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

VIP Member
    +1 GunnyBunny, you said my thoughts exactly.

Except the Startrek reference........
    Last edited by sigmanluke; May 12th, 2009 at 02:19 PM. Reason: clarity
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Seems to me like whether this is a problem or not really depends on your company and the coworkers. It doesn't have to be a huge issue. You'll have to decide how to deal with any commentary. For example - jokes can either be taken just like any other ribbing - or it can be clear that it's not acceptable to joke about. Certainly anybody who jokes about you shooting up the office or such you should sit down with.

If you carry at work there's not a whole lot you can do to prevent this sort of situation. Sounds like the inevitable happened and you'll just have to manage any fallout.

EdC
    The way I read your post, you really didn't "tell" as such, but you were in a situation where you believed that you had to give a truthful explanation. I feel for you. A very good example of "But what could possibly go wrong?"

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    +1 GunnyBunny, you said my thoughts exactly.
    Agreed and ditto.

What's most unfortunate though is all this garbage and steps we law abiding citizens have to go through and the laws we need to be aware of so as to be lawful.
    Meanwhile criminals with criminal intent, they carry everywhere and into restaurants too without a care in the world. :|

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

What kind of restaurant is it where you cannot carry?

If it’ just because they serve beer or something, and it’s against Texas law to eat there armed, you need to contact your state senator, and congressmen and ask them for a change.

After all, most of the time I want to be armed, is when the wife and I go out to dinner. Florida statutes just prohibit “bars” And we never go to them.

Stuff happens. All you can do is the best you can do......

Doesn't seem to me as if you have anything to beat yourself up over. In fact, I've got to give you kudos for asking for and getting authorization to carry from your employer. Can't hardly beat that!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Why not start a carry club at work? Use this to your advantage, start on the few who may be interested in guns. Ask them to the range, people don't know where to start when it comes to weapons. Most of us are brought up in a gun friendly families or military. You will find some co-workers are very curious but nervous.
    The cats out of the bag so now look to build interest. Lead the way, any resistance belittle them by calling them girlie-men and move on.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

VIP Member
    I've never carried in Texas, but if memory serves don't they have the "51" law? Meaning if the establishment gets 51% or more of their revenue from alcohol sales (sign on door), carry is prohibited. I always thought that restaurants were OK but bars were taboo.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

VIP Member

Licensed or uniicensed carry, blah blah????

Quote Originally Posted by cred View Post
    Most of my coworkers know I carry- but they don't know I carry at work. I know - no one should know, but one person found out and jokingly told everyone. A few harsh conversations later and the conversations are quiet. 6 months later...
    Anyway - I work at a place that under normal circumstances guns are never prohibited - but I asked our administration and received "written authorization" to carry.
    On a lunch outing with coworkers we happened to choose a restaurant where I cannot carry. As I approached the door I stood in front of a "licensed or unlicensed carry... felony..." blah blah.
    Uh, you post from Texas. If you are licensed to carry (which I assume from the fact that you carry at work is the case), there are only 2 signs you need to pay attention to.: 51 and 30.06 signs

Lots of eateries have signs that say something like, "The unlicensed possession of a firearm on these premises is a felony." That is a sign you can ignore if you are licensed, so I don't see why you went back to your car.

If it was a legal 30.06 sign, then yes you had to do what you had to do; and same with a 51.

I've not seen and don't know of a legal sign that says, ""licensed or unlicensed carry.. felony."

So much for CC (At work anyway)

So are you going to OC now?
    2A is not negotiable

One of two things had to be the case, either they had a 51% sign or a 30.06 sign on the entrance to the establishment. No letter to the senator or congressman is going to change either of those two things.

I don't see it as a big deal personally. They all knew you carried, we all have different opinions on whether it is a good thing or now for others to know, but they didn't know you carried at work. Ok, so now they know that as well. No great deal in my opinion.

You have written authorization from your supervisor, your good to go. Maybe this is a good time to approach some of them about going to the range with you and getting some new shooters on board.

Personally, I don't advertise that I carry, but then again I really don't care if someone finds out either. This is Texas after all, we are in general a very gun friendly state, and gun friendly people down here. I see no need for even you to rip yourself a new one. You did what you did to comply with the law, that alone should be a good representation to your fellow workers that those who choose to carry with a CHL will take great steps to conform with the laws.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I pretty much agree with Farronwolf. If somebody finds out I carry no biggie. I really don't sweat it... unless it's kids cause they'll just blab it out loud. Probably half of the 15 people I work with know I carry... I can't carry at work though, but they know I'm arming up once I'm in the car. Nobody really cares too much.

Be glad you can carry at work and glad that they will officially authorize you to carry! I wish I could since we don't have a back door. Our "two" exits are the to side by side front doors. Real safe... especially if there is a fire!
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    We have a dumb^$$ law like that here!

I don't have co-workers; but I do have business associates so this happens rarely happens.
    1st- I try to pick the place to have lunch.
    2nd- I try to always drive if I'm going somewhere with a NGO.
    (That way I just drop them off at the door and can stow away my gun in private.)

It's a damned shame; "WE" have to feel embarassed about utilizing our constitutional rights. That's one reason most of the people I know are aware I "sometimes" carry!

The way I feel about it is this: If you have a problem with a friend who utilizes his "right to bear arms", then you can stay away from me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links