Why so "secretive" about carrying?

This is a discussion on Why so "secretive" about carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i dont understand why some people will say NEVER! EVER! tell anyone you carry. my question is what is the huge government secret. i live ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why so "secretive" about carrying?

Why so "secretive" about carrying?

i dont understand why some people will say NEVER! EVER! tell anyone you carry. my question is what is the huge government secret. i live in louisiana so open carry is legal, and i do tell people whose house i enter i carry as the law states i must or i would be quiet about it. but i dont understand what the huge deal is. because i must tell my friends when i enter their home most of them know i carry, know why, and are invited to the range ANYTIME. the other day i had my daughter in a store and was holding her facing forward while my wife shopped for something, my daughter had an accident and i had poo all over me and her. i took her to the truck and changed her and had my shirt off with my undershirt tucked in showing my CCW. we went to my wifes work where i bought a shirt and got some new clothes for my 10mo/old and after shopping for 10 mins for my daughter some new clothes one of my wifes coworkers say "wait a sec, you have a gun?" and she got a little education on CC and not drawing attention. i dont advertise "man with gun" but i am not afraid of a friend or family member knowing my decision to carry, they all know i dont show off my weapon, and i dont bring it up in public other than with ppl at a range to exchange tips/advice when solicited on my method of carry. my decision to carry 24/7 and my persistance to not go to places where i am prohibited to carry if i can avoid them has made my brother, mother in law, father in law, 2 friends, and 1 cousin to take some more classes and get their CCW to protect their family and friends. i find the "sheep, wolves, and sheepdogs" article to be very persuasive to the why you carry question. so why is it a huge no-no to let a friend or family member know you carry? might just bring someone else to the CC side of thinking? go ahead and chastize me for the possibly dumb question but im looking for some education and maybe a line of thought i obviously havent thought about.
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."
    Ted Nugent

2. Remove Ads

I'm an instructor so most people I come in contact with know I carry. It goes with the territory. I wouldn't go out of my way to tell everyone but if it comes up I wouldn't hide the fact either. The problem is some people have big mouths and end up telling the entire world which you may under some situations not want to know. Also in some situations it may not be tactically advisable to let everyone know.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I tell no one, including coworkers and customers who let it slip that they have their CCW. I know this topic has been covered before and I may have even started a thread about it when I first joined. I just don't have a link for it just yet...
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

im with you, i dont just out and tell people (unless entering their home), but i think it would make things worse if i freak because someone finds out. and i dont go wear carry is not allowed if possible, including peoples houses
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."
    Ted Nugent

Administrator
    Well, you wouldn't want to be like the one guy that worked at a QuickCash place who told everybody where he worked that he carried a gun.

Then one day an armed druggie ran in to rob the place and one of his female co-workers pointed over at him and yelled..."Hey...You had better get out of here, he carries a gun!"

Having his cover instantly blown took the poor good guy completely by surprise and he ended up catching a bullet in the head.

I don't tell, and depending on who's asking I don't hide it either....IMO
    funwitHK
    Aim Low, don't be Disappointed, and Reach your Goals.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

I certainly understand the temptation to share our positive feelings about being personally armed and our support for all things 2nd amendmant. However, we give up several things when we announce we're armed. Our privacy, our element of surprise, our right to not be hassled by an anti just to name a few. IMO I have no responsibility to inform anyone under any circumstances. We are not required to inform LEO's in my jurisdiction. Of course I don't carry at the usual prohibited places; schools federal buildings, etc. Otherwise it's just my business. Lots of permit holders have shared and suffered no consequences. Unfortunately, others have shared and lived to regret it.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

I generally don't tell anyone that I'm carrying a firearm, unless I'm required by
    law to do so. If I'm going to a no firearms allowed area (courthouse, federal
    office building, school, or other area as described by Michigan statute) I leave the weapon either at home, or locked in my vehicle's trunk.

I have some friends that carry. Other than them I tell no one. Really, in my opinion it is no ones business, but my own. My seven year old daughter knows, but she is aware that it is a family secret.

It's not telling you that I don't trust. I just don't know everyone who knows everyone I know yet. Until I do, why ask for trouble? Even with a network of friends that is somewhat limited, eventually chances are you've contacted more of the criminal element in the area than you live than you know. They don't tell me that they've got a record for ________ (can't fill in the blank, 'cause they didn't tell me), and I don't tell them I have a gun. We're even, for now....

I don't announce to just anyone that I carry a sidearm, but there have been occasions where I have shared with others...individuals at school and neighbors. Now, quite a few others at school have applied for or already received their CCW permits..., and two more neighbors, too.
    I guess we can kind of feel when and who to share with...

Stay armed...encourage others to do so...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

go ahead and chastize me for the possibly dumb question but im looking for some education and maybe a line of thought i obviously havent thought about.
    I have carried concealed for many years. My reason? Self defense for me and for my family. I have never (thank God) been in the position to draw my weapon but should that situation arise I want every possible advantage.

I have always lived in a relatively small community where the only thing faster than a speeding bullet is a gossip driven rumor. To let someone know that you carry concealed is to have every one know. Possibly, the advantage of which I speak is no longer there.

In the many years I have carried (over 30) I have strongly felt that to carry concealed was a serious thing that should always be approached seriously. To be at all casual about that has never been my approach.

So, I have always opted for the "concealed means concealed" code which, in my book means you don't let others know - ever!
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

I'm from central Louisiana, I could open carry if I wished to do so, but IMO it's not worth the hassle from the sheep and uninformed. I also believe the tactical element of surprise is lost if the BG can see a gun. I like being the unassuming and somewhat "invisible" guy and no one will see my firearm unless they make the mistake of threatening me. Oh yeah, i've heard the "scared little rabbit" remarks too, better that than a dead sheep eh?

I don't tell many people I have the chp, but I don't go out of the way to keep my 9c hidden, I use a fobus holster most of the time and just an untucked T wherever I may roam. So the imprint is there sometimes and the "bulge" may or may not be noticeable.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links