Motorcycle carry: If this guy's serious, he scares me...

This is a discussion on Motorcycle carry: If this guy's serious, he scares me... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; <http://www.chuckhawks.com/motorcycle_firearms.htm> Motorcycle Firearms By Dr. Christopher Lee With the growing popularity of personal firearms carry among motorcyclists, it's important to find the weapon that best ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

<http://www.chuckhawks.com/motorcycle_firearms.htm>

Motorcycle Firearms

By Dr. Christopher Lee

With the growing popularity of personal firearms carry among motorcyclists, it's important to find the weapon that best meets our rather specific self defense needs. On occasion, a drunk driver or a car driver experiencing road rage will purposefully ram a motorcycle, which never works out well for the motorcyclist.

Use your superior agility and acceleration to evade the car if you can. However, because the driver is attacking the motorcyclist with a deadly weapon (the car), the motorcyclist is legally entitled to defend him or her self with lethal force, probably a firearm. Will you ever be in this situation? Let's hope not. But should you be, here are some suggestions that might just keep you alive:

When selecting a firearm for motorcycle carry, opt for one that has a ported barrel, especially if your choice is a lightweight gun in a magnum caliber. Ported barrels are a relatively new technology, and they significantly reduce the recoil of the firearm. That means that when you are firing from a moving motorcycle, the shot will be less likely to disrupt your balance.

Additionally, choose a high velocity medium bore cartridge (.357 Magnum, .38 Super, .357 Sig, or 9mm Luger+P). When you are firing at a moving vehicle, remember that the bullet must penetrate safety glass and still stay on target. .357/9mm high velocity or +P rounds are smaller in diameter than the big bore calibers, but pack a big punch; this translates into more penetration power. I use a Taurus Total Titanium Tracker, which is a very accurate seven shot .357 Magnum revolver.

For the same reason, keep relatively heavy weight (for example 158 grain in .357 Magnum) full metal jacket or jacketed soft point ammo in the firearm when on the road. Especially avoid hollow point bullets, which provide less penetration than standard cast lead bullets.

Practice firing the weapon from your motorcycle. For this, you need a large, privately owned, sparsely populated property area where you know ahead of time there will be no people wandering around. Start with dry fire practice. Pick a specific target (like a tree) as you are moving and track it, dry firing the gun 3-6 times at the target. Once you are comfortable taking your eyes off the road for the time it takes to fire 3-6 rounds, load the firearm and practice firing one round at a time at a paper target (so you can see where your bullets hit) in front of a safe backstop. Start with a smaller caliber if you have one available. (Another reason I like a .357 Magnum revolver is that you can use the same gun to fire the lighter .38 Special round.) Work your way up until you can empty all the chambers comfortably and accurately with full power ammunition.

If you decide to fire, FIRE AT THE DRIVER, NOT THE CAR. Obvious in retrospect, make sure you decide to fire at the driver before you engage to avoid time-consuming, and therefore dangerous, mistakes.

Once you hit the driver, get away from the car! The car could go ANYWHERE at that point, and the farther you move away from it, the less likely it is to accidentally hit you.
    If you are ever in a situation where you are being attacked with lethal force on the road, it goes without saying that you should try to escape by any means possible that does not endanger your life or the life of innocent bystanders. Evade if you possibly can, resorting to lethal counter-force only as a last resort.

Christopher Lee is a Doctor of Psychology and has been a personal self defense instructor for over twelve years.

Yikes!

How about just...

...get away from the car!

When on my Harley, I can do that...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

What a twit - been watching too many movies. A better solution would be to carry ball bearings to drop on the road to make a heck of a racket under the car as they bounced up into the undercarriage - as you accelerate out of the area. As for shooting, any attack would likely be from behind - any rounds fired, unless vehicle is right behind you, would probably have just as likely or greater chance of hitting innocent vehicles. If the vehicle is close enough (been in that situation, but outran them instead) - I'd shoot for COM of the vehicle hopefully hitting the radiator or windshield. Sent Chuck Hawks an email expressing my disappointment he'd let that kind of drivel on his website.

Agreed. I've found either of my Beemers ('84 R100 RS & '91 K75S)can outbrake almost any car out there, and out accelerate most of them.

Well, that's just stupid advice as far as I'm concerned. (IIRC, even Jason Bourne didn't shoot from a moving bike when he was being pursued.)

Better to use the bikes maneuverability to evade or outrun to a point where you can stop completely, dismount and engage while on foot if you are still being attacked at that point.

He's a Doctor of Psychology, huh? Well, it just goes to show ya!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Lead Moderator
    With better maneuverability and the ability to fit through smaller spaces I doubt shooting is ever gonna be a option. Considering fact if you do, a miss can go anywhere and a hit could cause the driver to hit someone else.
    As for me , my dual sport works well in ditches and off pavement.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Yep, that's looney advice if you ask me. If you're in a position to fire on the driver (presumably through a side or rear window), you're in a position to escape the encounter. It's going to be a tall order to justify that shooting in court. Also, you shoot that driver, and his car goes careening off into a church bus full of kids...what then? This stuff is for post-apocalyptic "Mad Max" scenarios, not everyday carry. Was this dated April 1st?
    Yes, the world has gotten smaller, but it will always be too big to be ruled by unelected bureaucrats.

Quote Originally Posted by The Arverni View Post
    This stuff is for post-apocalyptic "Mad Max" scenarios, not everyday carry. Was this dated April 1st?
    The way things are going, isn't post-apocalyptic just around the corner?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    The way things are going, isn't post-apocalyptic just around the corner?
    Hey, I'm beginning to wonder!
    Yes, the world has gotten smaller, but it will always be too big to be ruled by unelected bureaucrats.

He's not talking about someone who's being a bad driver, but someone who's trying to intentionally take you out.

My approach is simple ; pull over quickly if at all possible , get off bike if possible and pull gun if required.

I travel alone on a bike alot, and have seen some really weird scenarios in real life..... that had nothing to do with bad drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    He's not talking about someone who's being a bad driver, but someone who's trying to intentionally take you out.

My approach is simple ; pull over quickly if at all possible , get off bike if possible and pull gun if required.

I travel alone on a bike alot, and have seen some really weird scenarios in real life..... that had nothing to do with bad drivers.
    I agree wholeheartedly! Posted same in post #5.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

What...you guys don't do "rolling" drills??? In a car or on a bike with your "gimp" strapped to the front. Shame!

/sarcasm off
    ((Place funny, whitty comment here))

This guy is down right frightening. So much bad advice in such a short article.

Wow 25 or so years ago I was chased by a jerk who wanted to race me with a 1980 era continental. When I said no thanks he got mad. It was a five lane road I was on the inside lane next to the center lane. He pulled up right to my side, smiled at me, then swerved right at me. We were coming up on an intersection right when he did this. I ended up in the left turn lane, going to fast to turn with an on-coming car turning left. I was lucky and was able to cross the intersection and miss the left turning car. I sped away from him and turned onto a side street. Shortly after I turned I saw this guy turn in behind me. I lost him by cutting across an entrance to a ice rink. I was only 18 or 19 at the time, and scared out of my mind. Had I had a gun I would have had it at the ready only after coming to a stop and off the bike. I don't think I would even think of pulling a gun while trying to to ride.

PS. Instead of ball bearings use vise grip pliers. Clamp a few of them to the frame...
    PS. 2. I did kick a door once. Lots of people just change lanes without looking.

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    I want to know where this guy lives so I can avoid his city!!! A round/rounds being fired from an unstable position probably without the power to punch through a Front Window if it hits dead on much less at an angle, with many innocents moving in and out of the field of fire. The safest person on the road with this guy around is the one he is shooting at. I like 4wd's BUT you guys have speed, agility and a small moving target. If he has you in a position where you can not use this to your advantage, then it is time to stop the bike and use your firearm from a stable position to place your rounds on target, shooting wild is bad news all around.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links