Conceal solutions to windy situations

This is a discussion on Conceal solutions to windy situations within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sorry for my ignorant lack of the search tool, and the same for where I should post this... however, my question is, in FL it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sorry for my ignorant lack of the search tool, and the same for where I should post this... however, my question is, in FL it is concealed carry, and I see concealment as an art for, so to speak. In light of this, are there any solutions to heavy wind? In other words, what are my options for windy situations, when in florida it can get hot at the same time, surprisingly? Does wearing a tanktop over gun and t shirt overall any good? Thanks in advance!

Wind is not really much of a problem...plan ahead.

My print shirt is usually open, but if the wind were to pick up...use a few buttons...or just tuck in a small corner of the shirt.

Many times I just wear a bigger T-shirt over a wife-beater...to keep the gun away from the skin...cover is complete, and wind-proof.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rryynnoww View Post
    Sorry for my ignorant lack of the search tool, and the same for where I should post this... however, my question is, in FL it is concealed carry, and I see concealment as an art for, so to speak. In light of this, are there any solutions to heavy wind? In other words, what are my options for windy situations, when in florida it can get hot at the same time, surprisingly? Does wearing a tanktop over gun and t shirt overall any good? Thanks in advance!
    Wind could be a problem but probably not. You probably want an inside the belt holster for summer carry or in Florida. almost all other holsters except for inside the pocket holster will print wearing light clothing.

Some are better than others. I know some that use Kiss holsters. Personally, I would try to find something less extreme. This rig mounts over the groin. While it is very concealable there is a comfort concern for many.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

my advice would be to use a light wind jacket zipped or buttoned part of the way they are light enough to pull up quickly to expose you piece. or if the weather is a little colder a leather jacket with some shot sewn into the lower part to hold down the jacket in the wind

VIP Member
    good question

living in the panhandle of Texas, we see a lot of wind, some of the highest average daily wind speeds in the country, this is something I have had to address for quite some time

generally I wear IWB off duty with a regular tshirt untucked and its no problem
    as with all cover garments....something in dark colors or patterns (plaid, stripes, flowered, etc) tend to work better at camo for your weapon even when the wind is pressing the shirt against you

as retsupt said, if you have a base layer shirt tucked in and wear a button up over it you can button a few up from the bottom to aid in case needed
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

One person told me to make an opening in the bottom of the shirt hem were the buttons & holes are so a small weight could be added. He said this would help in "sweeping" the shirt to draw. He said the small weight would "wrap" your hand somewhat, helping to draw shirt tail up & out of the way.
    It may help some with wind too, as long as it's not to strong. Any thoughts?

i wear a t-shirt that is a one or two sizes too large and generally have no problems. i've even recently switched to OWB holster for more comfort and can still get by w/ tshirts

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevyguy85 View Post
    i wear a t-shirt that is a one or two sizes too large and generally have no problems. i've even recently switched to OWB holster for more comfort and can still get by w/ tshirts

Actually, I think this is a very practical answer. I understand that some do not want to appear dressed sloppy but almost all experts agree that if you are going to carry concealed, you many need to alter you wearing apparel. Loose clothing is an easy way to do this unless you want to wear a jacket in 90+ heat in the summer.

I carry a PPS .40 sub compact in the summer that I carry inside the pocket. It can be concealed quite easily. It is a smaller pistol but still has plenty of stopping power.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

I also wear a wife-beater with a larger t-shirt, but when I don't have a jacket on and the wind kicks up I am afraid that I am printing badly through the shirt. It's funny that this came up today because I was just thinking about it since it was really windy here yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Actually, I think this is a very practical answer. I understand that some do not want to appear dressed sloppy but almost all experts agree that if you are going to carry concealed, you many need to alter you wearing apparel. Loose clothing is an easy way to do this unless you want to wear a jacket in 90+ heat in the summer.

I carry a PPS .40 sub compact in the summer that I carry inside the pocket. It can be concealed quite easily. It is a smaller pistol but still has plenty of stopping power.
    yeah i take full advatage of our "chilly" weather and use a light coat just to change up how i conceal. it took me a while to get used to "looking like a slob" since before i carried 95% of the time my tshirts were tucked in. I also use dark colors since they hide better. makes for a hotter day but in the end i think if i can't take the heat i shouldn't be in Florida and 2 i shouldn't wear jeans year round.

on the heat note..someone make the string of 95+ days here in orlando go away!!!!!!

Pocket carry with a J-Frame. I don't worry about weather or surroundings. Not as big a gun as some, but always armed and always ready.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Houston gets pretty windy also. Similar to others, I always wear a black T (large size) under a floral or other pattern button up/Hawaiian type shirt (x-large or xx-large) that is typically unbuttoned. If windy I just button one of the middle buttons and if really windy, add in the next to last button on the bottom. That always does it and if I need to pull, well that is two buttons that won't survive the encounter. And I'm carrying a Kimber Tactical Ultra II, G32 or G36 in a Tucker HF2 strong side belt holster plus a double mag pouchon the weak side.

I almost always wear a black T because even the cleanest gun will have some misc oil or crud that will smudge a nice light colored T. Same with the overshirt, dark colors with printed pattern to break up the outline plus insure that no one will see through the shirt fabric. I was at a board meeting the other night and no one knew I was carrying. In fact, they pointed my garb out as what the board needed for an alumni association shirt! I don't look like this for fashion but for a specific reason. Guess is doesn't look as bad as the wife says it does. And it for sure doesn't spell gun like a khaki vest does.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

Thanks to all for such quick replies, and I apologize for not being specific, since the problem I seem to find, is not so much about the wind slipping my shirt up, since I wear tall T's anyway. Instead, my problem is such extreme printing when the wind blows... it screams 'I have a gun!'

NativH says: "And it for sure doesn't spell gun like a khaki vest does."

I agree completely. I come from a rural TN county where probably 1 out of 3 men have a HCP. I can usually spot who is carrying by how they dress in warm or windy weather. "Dressing to the gun" shouts out the fact that you are carrying a gun!

I cultivate the Tony Soprano look in summer and on windy days. A long square cut dress shirt or polo shirt, a size too large,outside the trousers. It is cooler also, for a side benefit. Being in my sixties and a tad portly, the look isn't too far out of style. An older guy dressed in a nice shirt and khaki dockers doesn't look formidable either. Even though I pocket carry, I like to cover at least the top of the pocket to keep out prying eyes. A too large shirt is also very easy to clear for a draw.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Iíve lived in Florida most of my life, and Iíve been carrying a pistol daily since 1977. To me wind is less problems than the tropical heat.

Pocket carry is the answerÖ

About 15 months ago, I purchased a Glock 26. Itís kind of big for a pocket pistol but inside a nemesis holster itís very concealed in cargo shorts. For those times, when the Glock is too much I carry the little Kel-Tec P3AT 380 in a nemesis holster.

Then when the temperature cool back down, or if we are headed to town at night, I wear a cover shirt and the G26 in an OWB holster.

If itís a windy day, as otherís have stated, button a couple of the buttons, or hold your cover shirt until you get inside. I carry my OWB pistol at 4 Oíclock so wind is less likely to blow my shirt back that far. I also sometimes use an IWB holster that I place in the small of my back. Sure there are some dangers associated with small of the back carry, but Iíve been doing such for over 30 years.

One last piece of advice

The general public are sheep and do not notice as much as you give them credit for. And even if they get a glimpse of a gun on your hip, they just ďpresumeĒ youíre a cop, and think nothing of it.

Quote Originally Posted by rryynnoww View Post
    Thanks to all for such quick replies, and I apologize for not being specific, since the problem I seem to find, is not so much about the wind slipping my shirt up, since I wear tall T's anyway. Instead, my problem is such extreme printing when the wind blows... it screams 'I have a gun!'
    Answer

Small of the back IWB holster

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links