NC State and its CCH laws

This is a discussion on NC State and its CCH laws within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Being a new CCH permit holder, as well as new to this site, I was curious if anyone else was unsure of our NC CCH ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NC State and its CCH laws

NC State and its CCH laws

Being a new CCH permit holder, as well as new to this site, I was curious if anyone else was unsure of our NC CCH laws.

Considering a good percentage of crimes happen at these quicky conveneince stores, are we allowed to carry in them? Within the past few years it seems like most all of them removed the "no weapons allowed" sign. However, our law states that we are not allowed to carry where Alcohol is sold or consumed. Most all of these stores, if not all of them, sell alcohol.
    Any thoughts on that?

2. Remove Ads

Read the regs again,they read "not to carry in any establishment where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed" the operative word is AND a grocery store and stop-n-rob is OK
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Quote Originally Posted by IronMike View Post
    Read the regs again,they read "not to carry in any establishment where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed" the operative word is AND a grocery store and stop-n-rob is OK
    +1 to that.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Stop and think about this a minute. You have a NC CCH, and persumably a firearm concealed on your person - why are you concerned about premises 'legalities'? The gun is for your protection. You do not go into any establishment and openly broadcast you are carrying a concealed weapon, do you? Of course not.

What if you found yourself needing your weapon while you were in the convenience store; that is, while you were inside an armed robber entered and proceeded to hold up the place? And, in the process, the robber waved his gun around threatening to shoot the clerk behind the counter. Now, if you had your gun - and really knew how to use it - you could fire on the robber, and in the process saving the clerk's life. But you can't do anything, can you, because you left your gun in your car, where it's totally useless?

But, be aware that you cannot go into an airport, a military base, a Post Office, a Federal, State, City or County building wearing a concealed weapon. You can't wear a gun into a bank, or a hospital. If the establishment has armed guards, that is your signal to not bring your weapon with you inside.

My pistol is with me always to defend me. It will do me no good if I am separated from my pistol when I need it. The same thinking also applies to you. Think of yourself and your personal defense first, and you just may stay alive a little longer. All the 'Ban Handguns' stickers on doors aren't going to do you any good if only the bad guys enter and start shooting. Your job is to protect yourself, and your family, first. Don't over-think the issue; take comfort in the wording of the Second Amendment, and then covertly carry your weapon.
    Last edited by HotGuns; May 15th, 2009 at 02:12 PM. Reason: advocating illegal activity

Black Eagle,are you certian about the "no hospital carry"I cannot find that reg.
    thanks
    mike
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Some hospitals post it, other's don't. It's primarily a safety issue concerning bullet ignition and a highly charged oxygen atmosphere. However, one hospital I went in in New York State had a guard at the door asking if I was carrying a gun or a knife. Apparently, the hospital recently hosted a gang fight in the ER waiting room.

Thanks for the support. They almost make you feel like your crossing the good guy/bad guy line for wanting to carry.
    On a side note, along with hospitals...funeral homes are on the banned list(???).
    IronMike, thanks for catching that reg. I read right over it.

I live in NC and so far havn't seen too many instances where I have to leave it in the car. Mostly when I pick up my grandkids from school. I did call our sheriff's office about that as when I pick them up most of the time i'm in the car just pulling up at the loading area and they climb in. I was told that in that situation I would not be in trouble with them as long as the gun was locked up and out of arms length. Now in a city or another part of the state that may not be the case. We live in a rural community where everyone kinda knows everybody else . Of course if I go inside, it's locked in the back of my suv, which they also said, would be ok witht them.

Events Occurring in Public: It shall be unlawful for any person participating in, affiliated with, or
    present as a spectator at any parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration upon any
    private health care facility or upon any public place owned or under the control of the State or any ofits political subdivisions to willfully or intentionally possess or have immediate access to any
    dangerous weapon. 14-277.2

Now as far as the funeral home? it's not a possession, that's like threading on the thin line I guess.

Thanks Grandma, (I haven't said that in a long time), It seems like there are a lot of thin lines in our laws. I'm guessing it depends on what kind of mood the LEO is in and how well "they" know the laws. Hopefully it will never be an issue.
    Thanks again.

To the original poster, your first answer by IronMike is spot on correct. Convenience stores that are not posted are fine. Applebees Outback Steak house, Red Lobster, etc restaurants that serve alcohol are off limits for carry.

As to grandma4, your local sheriffs office may not enforce the gun on school grounds law but it is definitely against the law to carry even inside the car at the pick up area. Locked away or not. If you have a gun on school grounds it is illegal. North Carolina law states that anywhere on school property is a no carry zone. This includes having it locked in the trunk or glove box. There has been legislation to change that introduced but to date, it hasn't passed into law.

Lastly, please think long and hard before following the advise of Black Eagle. Condoning illegal activities is never a good thing.

Feel free to ask any other questions about NC concealed carry and be safe!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IronMike View Post
    Black Eagle,are you certian about the "no hospital carry"I cannot find that reg.
    thanks
    mike
    Yeah, no hospital; if it does not fall under the hospitals regs, it falls under educational property since education goes on there; student nurses ect.

Ironmike is definitely spot on, and a hospital is considered a educational facility. In the interest of full disclosure I would read up on some of the other questions here. I appreciate reaching out to the local sheriff but what happens when a federal LEO is involved? Take my word on this one, we don't care if local LE looks the other way on some laws they deem unfit. Many people have said to me... I asked a cop once and they said it was ok... or my favorite is... my uncle is a cop and he didn't care. A great website for research is Handgunlaw.us

Since we are quoting code I wanted to add this one
    Schools, public or private, all levels including universities. This also applies to all property owned by
    any school. 14-269.2

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    Yeah, no hospital; if it does not fall under the hospitals regs, it falls under educational property since education goes on there; student nurses ect.
    That's a pretty far stretch.

To the OP: Your CHP class should have covered these laws.

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    There are no laws as to concealed carry in hospitals in NC. They are only off limits if they are a teaching hospital and thus an educational facility or if they are posted as a no carry location.

Now, I've heard that there are some hospitals in NC that don't fall under one or both of these two categories but I sure haven't seen one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links