A story,sorta funny after the fact--long

This is a discussion on A story,sorta funny after the fact--long within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just last Fall,maybe October '08',I was doing my job,(electric utility troubleshooter).I arrived at a customer's house on a flickering lights call.It was just before good ...

Thread: A story,sorta funny after the fact--long

Just last Fall,maybe October '08',I was doing my job,(electric utility troubleshooter).I arrived at a customer's house on a flickering lights call.It was just before good dark,sun below horizon,but still red sky light.I knocked on the front door,rang bell,no answer.I wait for a minute,and then proceed to side of house to the metercan.I remove the lid,and check voltage.About 2 minutes have passed since I was at the front door.Suddenly I hear to my left,at the front corner of the house,'stop,dont you move.'I looked,and there stood an elderly man,looking all of his 80+ years.He is aiming a rifle at me,and visibly shaking like a 'leaf'.I got a shot of adrenaline like a thunderbolt.I say,hold on there fella.I am with ***,I am here to check your power.The old gent lowers the rifle and says,'hey,I'm sorry.I heard some banging on the wall,and I forgot I called the power company.Theres been some vandals around lately'. Now, at that time I had a CC permit,but I had a Kahr .40,and it was in the truck,in my bag.I only would stick it in my pants in places where I really felt I needed to be prepared.This was a upper middle class neighborhood. So the old gent ended up letting me hold and examine the rifle.He had brought it home from the Phillipines after WWII.It was a Model 99 Japanese rifle with the Chrysanthemum.The old guy told me the 'I took it off of a dead Jap' story.But I really believe this guy did.He said,(expletive)I don't even have any ammo for the thing'.It was in pretty poor shape,sadly. I am seriously glad that I did not have my current set-up CCW,in it's holster,on my belt. The old man was a riot to talk to,and I spent a good half hour pestering him with questions about his time in the Pacific during the war. .....Cheers,Carry ok. Edit-No 'macho', tough guy intent with the glad I did not have my current set-up statement.That is NOT what this is about. ..... Carry ok.
    Last edited by carry ok; May 14th, 2009 at 10:39 PM.
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by carry ok View Post
    I am seriously glad that I did not have my current set-up CCW,in it's holster,on my belt.
    Why this statement. Are you worried that you would have went for your weapon and shot the old guy before you figured out the situation?

There would have been no reason to draw on the old guy, because you'd be on his turf, and he was just protecting it while investigating 'your noise'.
    The DA would have no trouble figuring out who didn't belong.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Well,Muddy,

it was low light,happened rather quickly,his back was to the red sky light,I was looking into it.And I have had a few people,over the years on this job,from inside a house/apartment,yell out to me in late hours that they 'have a gun pointed at you'.This was the only time so far,gladly,that I was staring into the barrel of a weapon,in low light, from about 25-30 feet,totally off guard due to the type of neighborhood.So,being human,I must say,yeah,it seemingly could be possible.It would not have been the first serious mistake I have made in my time.So,these days,I am trying to become more S/A,and to train my thoughts as to the seriousness of being a 'full time' carrier.As I wrote in my newby introduction post,I have only recently become really serious about the need and responsibilities of the endeavor.Which is why I have been spending much time here,reading,and pondering the things I read. .....Cheers,Carry ok .. Edit, p.s. This is how I meant the glad I was not wearing my current set-up thing to read.I did not intend it as a 'macho' type of statement.
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

True,Sir,

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    There would have been no reason to draw on the old guy, because you'd be on his turf, and he was just protecting it while investigating 'your noise'.
    The DA would have no trouble figuring out who didn't belong.
    however,I,potentially,could have,were the circumstances different,been laying on the ground,because I reasoned as you did.Only,it perhaps may have been my last,and most critical reasoning,ever. Life is curious,ain't it? .....Cheers,Carry ok.
    Last edited by carry ok; May 14th, 2009 at 11:03 PM.

EdC
    Could have been a tragedy all around. His place, but you were an "invitee" on his property with his permission (He made the service call, right?) He thought you were a prowler, but instead of calling the cops, he decided to confront the "prowler" with an unloaded gun. Glad it all turned out ok. You're absolutely right-Life is very curious, indeed.

Thanks,EdC,

Quote Originally Posted by EdC View Post
    Could have been a tragedy all around. His place, but you were an "invitee" on his property with his permission (He made the service call, right?) He thought you were a prowler, but instead of calling the cops, he decided to confront the "prowler" with an unloaded gun. Glad it all turned out ok. You're absolutely right-Life is very curious, indeed.
    Astute observation on you part.The saga was meant not as a 'macho', 'he's a lucky old man' boast on my part.It seems that I did not make the point clear,as per some replies.My bad! .....Cheers,Carry ok.

Carry ok,

I mean nothing by this but I must ask: Are you from the UK? I have a few friends from Scotland, England, and Ireland. They all use Cheers as their salutation.
    NRA Instructor

NRA Endowment Member

Be a mentor to the youth of our communities.
    Show them the way to shoot for the moon.
    If they miss, push them to reach out for a star.
    If any gang banger punks try to divert their attention...
    show them the light as well.

NO,

Quote Originally Posted by tbmccord View Post
    Carry ok,

I mean nothing by this but I must ask: Are you from the UK? I have a few friends from Scotland, England, and Ireland. They all use Cheers as their salutation.
    but I am Scot,English genetically.That might be it,a 'genetic predisposition' to use the term. ......Carry ok.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Some of my local service people will call when they are thier way over. I used to think that it was not needed, but it would have really helped that situation.

Go back and steal his firing pin and get him a dull bayonet.

Jhh,

what I would really like is for him to sell the rifle to me.

Do you know what caliber it is? 7.7jap or 6.5jap? I have seen some with really rough bores that are very accurate. With the "mum" it would be a nice addition to your collection. Good luck. jh

Jhh,

no,I do remember the 'mum' though.I don't remember if our conversation was that specific,as to the details of the rifle.I did question him much however about his experiences in the Pacific, in general.I did ask if he would part with the rifle,though,and the answer, as I remember, was as I expected prior to asking. ....Best to you,Carry ok.

Sponsored Links