I "made" another CCW'er yesterday.

This is a discussion on I "made" another CCW'er yesterday. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've never noticed a gun on a non LEO before even though I carry and look for it. This guy was in his mid 50's, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I "made" another CCW'er yesterday.

I "made" another CCW'er yesterday.

I've never noticed a gun on a non LEO before even though I carry and look for it. This guy was in his mid 50's, had a glock hat, one of those "badges" that are discussed a the top of the forum, and was wearing a vest. Needless to say, I looked for a gun right away. I saw the bottom of the kydex on his holster peaking out under the vest.

I was at work and it's a very non-firearm friendly place. I didn't want to say anything to him and I don't want my co-workers to even know I have a gun, much less carry.

Everyone around me didn't notice at all, even though it was quite obvious to me that he was carrying a gun. It was in our waiting room and the rest of the staff and people waiting were oblivious.

Just goes to show how unobservant most people are. I came away with more confidence that no one will give the slight bulge on my waist a second look, unless they are a fellow CCW'er. This, especially after yesterday's experience and how obvious it should have been for even a non-gun person to spot.

2. Remove Ads

hahaha, glock hat and a badge?! Hardly seems like he's trying to conceal to me--but +1 on your notion that sheeple don't notice, I feel like everybody knows I'm carrying sometimes.
    CZ P-06
    Glock 23 OD with CT laser
    S&W 642

I have never seen one, but I suppose those type people actually do exist. For the longest time I felt they were only an urban legend. I guess not!!!
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Why DIDN'T you say something to him...off to the side and quietly. Perhaps he thinks he is completely undercover.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I realized after I got my Blackberry that it prints more than my Glock so I just dont worry that much anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Why DIDN'T you say something to him...off to the side and quietly. Perhaps he thinks he is completely undercover.
    Oh, I really wanted to. I was sitting with another client and wanted to somehow discreetly say something like, "Nice hat, you have a 23 19 26 with you?" and figure that no one else would know what the heck I was talking about.

I've never noticed a gun on anyone, can't say I'm always looking though. If I'm wearing tighter pants, I am self-conscious about it as I carry in my front pocket usually...
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

jfl
    Carrying since 1987, it has become so natural that I pay no attention to me or others. It is the signs of a threat that gets my attention.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

My first "made" ccw was a fellow who was eating at a local Bob Evans where I take my breakfast frequently. He had on an NRA hat and a loose t-shirt - a bit obvious. When he went to pull on his coat, his t-shirt lifted up and I caught a glimpse of his holster and his Glock.

I stopped him and asked of he was working a local gun show. He said yes. I went to the gun show later that day and saw him working his table.

What makes you think it was not an off-duty LEO ?

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    What makes you think it was not an off-duty LEO ?
    The Badge. I doubt an off duty LEO would wear that. I could see a retired one, maybe. Even if he was off duty, I saw that he had a gun that was partially concealed. Nothing wrong with it either way really, just making and observation.

Quote Originally Posted by RSViper View Post
    The Badge. I doubt an off duty LEO would wear that. I could see a retired one, maybe. Even if he was off duty, I saw that he had a gun that was partially concealed. Nothing wrong with it either way really, just making and observation.
    Could you read that the badge said "Concealed Weapon Permit" or something similar? The LEOs that I know frequently wear their badge next to their gun when carrying off duty.

I can tell you my dad; use to carry his SP101 on his hip at 2 O’clock, and with no badge next to it, if he was warring a small windbreaker, or Levi jacket. And it was easy to detect. Then in the summer, he still carried the Ruger in the same place only with his DS badge next to it, and no jacket.

He also had a small S&W 38 and sometimes, he would just stick that in his back pocket, and the handle would hang out slightly.

What I’m getting at is how do you know he was not an LEO?

In the state of per FDLE Florida LEO’s out of uniform must keep their pistol concealed. Some of them get around that by saying their uniform is their civilian clothing, so they just ware a badge next to their gun. Your state may be the same so this guy who is a uniform LEO was warring a vest for cover.

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RSViper View Post
    Hmmm, if an off duty LEO had to identify himself for some reason, how would he do that?

By showing his badge, maybe?

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I carry all the time and I have never noticed another CCer. Not that there are none, it's just that I'm not paying attention....
    G21SF, G30, G36, Ruger SP101 DAO, S&W 642

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links