I try not to argue, but it's so hard to hold back!!! - Page 2

I try not to argue, but it's so hard to hold back!!!

This is a discussion on I try not to argue, but it's so hard to hold back!!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Perceptions can get you into trouble as well. A wise NRA instructor once taught me that we do not carry weapons. We carry firearms. Weapon ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I try not to argue, but it's so hard to hold back!!!

Perceptions can get you into trouble as well. A wise NRA instructor once taught me that we do not carry weapons. We carry firearms. Weapon is an offensive term while forearm is defensive. It took him about 20 times of teaching me that point in two days but I finally got it and now try to spread the word everywhere people will listen.
    It's a matter of perception. I teach 4-H Shooting Sports. When I went through the training, it was stressed that we not refer to the firearms as "weapons". Nor do we use silhouette targets. Working with kids, the primary idea is to get them into an environment where we can teach life skills. I'm former military, and have shot competitively. This was a hard habit to break. Each time one of us said "weapon" we had to put a quarter in the coffee kitty. In two days, I was in for $8.

I'm also a CCW permit holder. What I carry is a weapon in the truest sense of the word.
    1. any instrument or device for use in attack or defense in combat, fighting, or war as a sword, rifle, or cannon.
    It's pretty hard to compartmentalize the two.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Administrator
    I have absolutely no problem at all with the police handling general Law Enforcement.

But, when the laws that the criminals intend to break impact me immediately and directly....the only realistic option is to have the ability to protect myself from a deadly threat.

As a hypothetical tell whoever posted that to try calling up the Police Department and tell the Police that they have been threatened and feel that their life may be in danger and then request 24 hour 'round the clock Police Protection.

The Police will him that they are not a bodyguard service for individual citizens and that it is not their job to protect individuals on an ongoing daily basis.

They will tell him to either hire an armed bodyguard or go out and buy a gun.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I carry insurance on my car in case I crash.

I carry insurance on my house in case there is a fire.

I carry insurance in my holster in case there is a psychopath.

No one wants to deal with a car crash, or a fire, or a psychopath. But sometimes those things happen and I like to be prepared.

In fact, it is a LAW that I carry insurance on my car, and my mortgage company makes me carry insurance on my house.

Yet, there are those in this country that would like to force me to NOT carry my insurance against a psychopath.

Fire is random, car crashes are accidents. They require insurance. Psychopaths are both random and calculating, often targeted, yet they don't require insurance? Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Divebum47 View Post
    It's a matter of perception. I teach 4-H Shooting Sports. When I went through the training, it was stressed that we not refer to the firearms as "weapons". Nor do we use silhouette targets. Working with kids, the primary idea is to get them into an environment where we can teach life skills. I'm former military, and have shot competitively. This was a hard habit to break. Each time one of us said "weapon" we had to put a quarter in the coffee kitty. In two days, I was in for $8.

I'm also a CCW permit holder. What I carry is a weapon in the truest sense of the word.

It's pretty hard to compartmentalize the two.
    I am a retired GI, and "weapon" is internalized to the point I feel I cannot change it.

Since I do not have to teach kids, and the reason I carry is for personal and family protection, I only use silhouette targets and practice my draw and presentation as if it is a life-threatening situation.

I pray every day I never need to employ those skills; however, if the situation arises, I cannot be unprepared or untrained. For me, my EDC is my weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    I carry insurance on my car in case I crash.

I carry insurance on my house in case there is a fire.

I carry insurance in my holster in case there is a psychopath.

No one wants to deal with a car crash, or a fire, or a psychopath. But sometimes those things happen and I like to be prepared.

In fact, it is a LAW that I carry insurance on my car, and my mortgage company makes me carry insurance on my house.

Yet, there are those in this country that would like to force me to NOT carry my insurance against a psychopath.

Fire is random, car crashes are accidents. They require insurance. Psychopaths are both random and calculating, often targeted, yet they don't require insurance? Why not?

+1 !
    “Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.”
    - Ronald Reagan

language

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    I respectfully request you have your "wise" NRA instructor read the following definitions of WEAPON as defined at Dictionary.com ...... :

1. any instrument or device for use in attack or defense in combat, fighting, or war as a sword, rifle, or cannon.

2. an instrument of attack or defense in combat, as a gun, missile, or sword.

3. an instrument of offensive or defensive combat; something to fight with; anything used, or designed to be used, in destroying, defeating, or injuring an enemy, as a gun, a sword, etc.

I personally carry a weapon.
    This weapon/firearm bit is a NRA attempt at being PC and not having folks think bad of us - along with the no human form targets, wording on a lot of things etc. No dis to the NRA - I teach two to three classes a month and get caught in this same language challenge. Just part of the picture and they are still our biggest voice against the loonie left. Sometimes you have to pick your battle.
    NRA Certified Instructor, MADFI Certified Instructor
    Vietnam Veteran, NRA Life Member
    XD 9 MM, 9 MM SC, 9 MM Tactical, XDM 9MM, XDM 40,
    XDM 40 Limited, XDM 5.25 Canyon Creek Custom 9 mm

I'm for some reason always suprised when I hear of Active duty Military and veterans opposed to individual defending themselves...
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

This is probably not the thread for this, but since we are discussing semantics, I confess I detest the sheep and sheepdog analogies.

If your neighbor doesn't carry a firearm for personal defense, or is even a rabid anti-gun type, that's their choice. This is America - at least for a few more days if we're lucky. It's about freedom to choose.

Referring to one's fellow citizens as "sheep" has a pejorative nuance I find condescending with overtones of smug superiority and self-importance. As we are all well aware, many people don't even realize concealed carry is an option, and many, many more accept the risks of living unarmed. That's their choice.

Additionally, I didn't accept the responsibility of being armed to be a self-appointed guardian of my fellow citizens. That's the job of law enforcement. I simply take an additional precaution to arm myself for the protection of my person and those under my roof. The sheepdog mindset sounds like a LEO wanna-be to me.

"Go ahead and walk around in a daze, you fools. MadMac walks silently beside you in the Mall and is armed and ready to fight back on your behalf against armed thugs, deranged crazies, and zombies."

How silly does that sound?

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I was at the local Academy last week to see if they had any ammo in stock, and one of the sales clerks was talking to a customer saying that he hoped that Obama would reinstitute the Assault weapons ban since there was no us for those types of guns. He was shocked that they sold them there and was shocked that one cost over $2,000.00. All I could say was they need to pay attention to what is considered an assault weapon.

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post
    Just arguing at the national guard forums about carrying in uniform, but it turned into carrying in general...

this is what one guy says

I said I'd stay out of the thread, but man!!! It's just so HARD to not say something to this [Edited] moron!!!

/rant
    I was told it was against NGB policy for me to carry in uniform.

America freedom from opression and tyranny

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Ok, let the professionals handle law enforcement. But we'll handle self-defense.

I have been a Police Officer for 15years and I could not agree with this statement more. I agree in protecting and preservation of the 2nd ammendment because the fact exist, we in law enforcement unfortunately get to the crime scene only after the crime has been committed. Carry often, carry wisely and protect yourselves and your families. I do the same thing and with or without the badge I will always refuse to be a sheep among wolves and I suggest the same thing to all of you who are not in L.E.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Ok, let the professionals handle law enforcement. But we'll handle self-defense.

Well said, my feeling as well ,and I will do so without regret or
    apology thank you very much.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Wasn't it mentioned before that personal protection is not the responsibility of law enforcement, law enforcement is responsible for the protection of the society as a whole? I am not sure if this is correct but I take it to heart. If something terrible is about to happen to me the chances of LEO being there is slim.

I consider my sidearm a life saving device, not that much different than a defib imho.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    This is probably not the thread for this, but since we are discussing semantics, I confess I detest the sheep and sheepdog analogies.

If your neighbor doesn't carry a firearm for personal defense, or is even a rabid anti-gun type, that's their choice. This is America - at least for a few more days if we're lucky. It's about freedom to choose.

Referring to one's fellow citizens as "sheep" has a pejorative nuance I find condescending with overtones of smug superiority and self-importance. As we are all well aware, many people don't even realize concealed carry is an option, and many, many more accept the risks of living unarmed. That's their choice.

Additionally, I didn't accept the responsibility of being armed to be a self-appointed guardian of my fellow citizens. That's the job of law enforcement. I simply take an additional precaution to arm myself for the protection of my person and those under my roof. The sheepdog mindset sounds like a LEO wanna-be to me.

"Go ahead and walk around in a daze, you fools. MadMac walks silently beside you in the Mall and is armed and ready to fight back on your behalf against armed thugs, deranged crazies, and zombies."

How silly does that sound?
    This is my position also. I feel my fellow citizens are responsible enough to make their own decisions about personal safety.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links