I try not to argue, but it's so hard to hold back!!!

This is a discussion on I try not to argue, but it's so hard to hold back!!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by zacii Ok, let the professionals handle law enforcement. But we'll handle self-defense. I like that. I will have to remember that, hope ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I try not to argue, but it's so hard to hold back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Ok, let the professionals handle law enforcement. But we'll handle self-defense.

I like that. I will have to remember that, hope you don't mind if I use it.
    Eric

EM1(SS) Retired

For freedom is never free someone else just picks up tab.

Kimber Custom II
    Kimber Eclips Pro II
    Marlin Camp Rifle .45acp

A 9mm may expand but a .45acp won't shrink

Remember there are only two types of Ships in the Navy, SUBMARINES and Targets!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    I respectfully request you have your "wise" NRA instructor read the following definitions of WEAPON as defined at Dictionary.com ...... :

1. any instrument or device for use in attack or defense in combat, fighting, or war as a sword, rifle, or cannon.

2. an instrument of attack or defense in combat, as a gun, missile, or sword.

3. an instrument of offensive or defensive combat; something to fight with; anything used, or designed to be used, in destroying, defeating, or injuring an enemy, as a gun, a sword, etc.

I personally carry a weapon.
    Yeah; it appears the NRA is becoming PC. (Makes me want to Barf!)
    We recently had a "Women on Target" event in Florence. We were told NOT to use the term weapon. I have a CWP (Concealed "Weapon" Permit).

I plan on becoming an NRA instructor this summer and I think "WEAPON" is the correct term for something one carries or uses to defend self or others.

IMO; The term "Firearm" is a little to PC unless you're talking about hunting or sport shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    I carry insurance on my car in case I crash.

I carry insurance on my house in case there is a fire.

I carry insurance in my holster in case there is a psychopath.

No one wants to deal with a car crash, or a fire, or a psychopath. But sometimes those things happen and I like to be prepared.

In fact, it is a LAW that I carry insurance on my car, and my mortgage company makes me carry insurance on my house.

Yet, there are those in this country that would like to force me to NOT carry my insurance against a psychopath.

Fire is random, car crashes are accidents. They require insurance. Psychopaths are both random and calculating, often targeted, yet they don't require insurance? Why not?
    Pretty much it...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    This is probably not the thread for this, but since we are discussing semantics, I confess I detest the sheep and sheepdog analogies.

If your neighbor doesn't carry a firearm for personal defense, or is even a rabid anti-gun type, that's their choice. This is America - at least for a few more days if we're lucky. It's about freedom to choose.

Referring to one's fellow citizens as "sheep" has a pejorative nuance I find condescending with overtones of smug superiority and self-importance. As we are all well aware, many people don't even realize concealed carry is an option, and many, many more accept the risks of living unarmed. That's their choice.

Additionally, I didn't accept the responsibility of being armed to be a self-appointed guardian of my fellow citizens. That's the job of law enforcement. I simply take an additional precaution to arm myself for the protection of my person and those under my roof. The sheepdog mindset sounds like a LEO wanna-be to me.

"Go ahead and walk around in a daze, you fools. MadMac walks silently beside you in the Mall and is armed and ready to fight back on your behalf against armed thugs, deranged crazies, and zombies."

How silly does that sound?

My thoughts exactly. I know an Army Ranger, gentle on the outside, but don't mess with him. He could very easily qualify and obtain a concealed carry license. However, when I asked him he responded that he doesn't want to incur the legal liability. There are many out there just like him. The quantity and complexity of laws has made it a chore for the average citizen to understand all of the intricacies of everyday carry.

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    I know an Army Ranger, gentle on the outside, but don't mess with him. He could very easily qualify and obtain a concealed carry license. However, when I asked him he responded that he doesn't want to incur the legal liability.
    The fact of the matter is, if some thug on the street decided to shoot him down, he could always shout "Hey wait! I'm an Army Ranger, don't mess with me!" as the bullets smacked into him, but that would not really serve to effectively alleviate his perforation, now would it?

Most WARS, are not fought by "professionals".

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Ok, let the professionals handle law enforcement. But we'll handle self-defense.

Bravo for a beautifully succint counter to a typical 'anti-' argument!
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by United93 View Post
    The fact of the matter is, if some thug on the street decided to shoot him down, he could always shout "Hey wait! I'm an Army Ranger, don't mess with me!" as the bullets smacked into him, but that would not really serve to effectively alleviate his perforation, now would it?
    I don't try to justify his decision, I'm just passing on a story. He's not blindly going through life unaware of the dangers.

Not everyone out there feels the need to carry a handgun for self-protection. Just because they feel that way doesn't make them sheep.

As MadMac said, making pejorative comments won't exactly endear them to our cause.

WORD!
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    This is probably not the thread for this, but since we are discussing semantics, I confess I detest the sheep and sheepdog analogies.

If your neighbor doesn't carry a firearm for personal defense, or is even a rabid anti-gun type, that's their choice. This is America - at least for a few more days if we're lucky. It's about freedom to choose.

Referring to one's fellow citizens as "sheep" has a pejorative nuance I find condescending with overtones of smug superiority and self-importance. As we are all well aware, many people don't even realize concealed carry is an option, and many, many more accept the risks of living unarmed. That's their choice.

Additionally, I didn't accept the responsibility of being armed to be a self-appointed guardian of my fellow citizens. That's the job of law enforcement. I simply take an additional precaution to arm myself for the protection of my person and those under my roof. The sheepdog mindset sounds like a LEO wanna-be to me.

"Go ahead and walk around in a daze, you fools. MadMac walks silently beside you in the Mall and is armed and ready to fight back on your behalf against armed thugs, deranged crazies, and zombies."

How silly does that sound?

I couldn't agree more.

I've intervened in a few instances of crime but IMO it has nothing to do with any Sheepdog nonsense or carrying. Just being a decent human being.

Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    I was told it was against NGB policy for me to carry in uniform.
    it's not mentioned anywhere as far as civilian time carry... (we were not talking about carrying while in base, lets say a recruiter carries it, or say u carry it on your way home, while in uniform)

at the base, we'd have to register it actually

The dumbest thing about people who think like this, is that they would praise every inch of your being if you saved their wife or child by taking out, or preventing a death/kidnapping with your gun that you "should have left at home". Ridiculous hypocrites. Am I wrong that all of these people are hypocrites? Or would they actually still tell me to leave that thing at home after we saved them?
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

It is easy to see that some on this forum have not served in uniform.

No,you are not to carry any time you are in uniform on or off base. If you want to carry then change into civies to leave the base (I always did anyway) Recruiters are on duty and are not to carry. If you are in the Armed Forces you are governed by the UCMJ and not by the Constitution. Yes, you do lose your civil rights when you are in uniform. this has all been hashed out in the courts and you have to accept it.

I spent thirty years on Active Duty in the USMC and could not carry on base in civies or anywhere in uniform unless it was specified as part of my offical duties by a written order. As a member of the TN State Guard I am again under the same restrictions. If I don't like it I can leave the Guard.

Civilians never will understand how the military operates, but it has to be said.

Master Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

+1 Great comeback.
    We can't stop here...this is bat country.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Res Ipsa Loquitur

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    I don't try to justify his decision, I'm just passing on a story. He's not blindly going through life unaware of the dangers.

Not everyone out there feels the need to carry a handgun for self-protection. Just because they feel that way doesn't make them sheep.

As MadMac said, making pejorative comments won't exactly endear them to our cause.
    'If you could carry, but don't...'...well, you know.

I would like to know what these people think will save them if TSHTF. If they don't take security seriously for themselves, should they really be tasked with the security of a nation?
    Last edited by United93; May 26th, 2009 at 05:19 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links