I try not to argue, but it's so hard to hold back!!!

This is a discussion on I try not to argue, but it's so hard to hold back!!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just arguing at the national guard forums about carrying in uniform, but it turned into carrying in general... this is what one guy says Leave ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I try not to argue, but it's so hard to hold back!!!

I try not to argue, but it's so hard to hold back!!!

Just arguing at the national guard forums about carrying in uniform, but it turned into carrying in general...

this is what one guy says

Leave your guns at home at let the professionals handle law enforcement
    I said I'd stay out of the thread, but man!!! It's just so HARD to not say something to this [Edited] moron!!!

/rant
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; May 15th, 2009 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Profanity workaround.

2. Remove Ads

This is the definition of someone that doesn't get it. The first thing that came to mind was a quote to the effect of "When seconds count, police are just minutes away". Need I say more?

jfl
    You cannot change by reasoning a belief not acquired by logic.
    Like the proverbial "teaching a pig to sing ..."
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Ok, let the professionals handle law enforcement. But we'll handle self-defense.

Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I really must admit to being influenced by this board to a great degree. I am new to ccw, and have found great wisdom here. I no longer get angry at people who cut me off in traffic, nor look to be offended.

I carry a weapon. I need to be mindful of my actions and not give offense. In no way do I want to feel forced to draw my weapon because of anything I may say or do.

If I ever have to draw (God forbid), it will NEVER be because I engaged in fight that escalates to a point where weapons are required.

What do you have to prove? You most likely will not change anyone's opinion.

Walk away.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Ok, let the professionals handle law enforcement. But we'll handle self-defense.
    I like that, the professionals can handle law enforcement, but the citizens will be in charge of their own defense. That says it all.

MadMac,

Perceptions can get you into trouble as well. A wise NRA instructor once taught me that we do not carry weapons. We carry firearms. Weapon is an offensive term while forearm is defensive. It took him about 20 times of teaching me that point in two days but I finally got it and now try to spread the word everywhere people will listen.
    NRA Instructor

NRA Endowment Member

Be a mentor to the youth of our communities.
    Show them the way to shoot for the moon.
    If they miss, push them to reach out for a star.
    If any gang banger punks try to divert their attention...
    show them the light as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    I really must admit to being influenced by this board to a great degree. I am new to ccw, and have found great wisdom here. I no longer get angry at people who cut me off in traffic, nor look to be offended.

I carry a weapon. I need to be mindful of my actions and not give offense. In no way do I want to feel forced to draw my weapon because of anything I may say or do.

If I ever have to draw (God forbid), it will NEVER be because I engaged in fight that escalates to a point where weapons are required.

What do you have to prove? You most likely will not change anyone's opinion.

Walk away.
    Same here, I used to get irritated in traffic. For some reason since carrying, I've been much more relaxed. I just need to keep my inner gearhead at bay! Things that go fast and go bang are just too much fun!

Wonder what his position is on CPR? Stand by, and let the professionals handle it (assuming they arrive in time)?

Quote Originally Posted by tbmccord View Post
    MadMac,

Perceptions can get you into trouble as well. A wise NRA instructor once taught me that we do not carry weapons. We carry firearms. Weapon is an offensive term while forearm is defensive. It took him about 20 times of teaching me that point in two days but I finally got it and now try to spread the word everywhere people will listen.
    I respectfully request you have your "wise" NRA instructor read the following definitions of WEAPON as defined at Dictionary.com ...... :

1. any instrument or device for use in attack or defense in combat, fighting, or war as a sword, rifle, or cannon.

2. an instrument of attack or defense in combat, as a gun, missile, or sword.

3. an instrument of offensive or defensive combat; something to fight with; anything used, or designed to be used, in destroying, defeating, or injuring an enemy, as a gun, a sword, etc.

I personally carry a weapon.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

North of the border and concealed carry is for the privileged few; I have had two home invasions, had a revolver stuck in my nose once, had one friend pistol whipped by a customer and robbed; had another friend murdered in his jewelery store by bad guys (both had alarm systems installed).

So please tell me... what are the professionals doing for me?

Personally, it is my belief that the law should state that every able bodied man and woman should receive rudimentary training and be issued with a concealed weapons permit and it should be THE LAW that one must carry at all times. Period.

Let the bad guys take a licking for a change.

If it's an issue of carrying on Guard property or Guard duty, you have to follow your standing orders. If you're in the guard but on your own time and off Guard property, let your concience be your guide.
    For the stength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack. - R. Kipling

Romans 1:22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools [professing to be smart, they made simpletons of themselves].

Just now something suddenly occurred to me. As holders of CCW permits we are held to a higher standard than the average citizen who is unarmed. We know any actions we take involving the use of our handguns will reflect on how we are perceived by the unarmed public.

Some will always see us as people who are "gun nuts" while others will see us as individuals who want to protect ourselves & our loved ones. So we owe it to ourselves to think a great deal before we consider unholstering a handgun we are carrying. We cannot take them for granted. Ever!

We should be using all of our experiences in the past to avoid being in a situation that may put us in harms way. If need be, it may mean just walking away and hearing a great deal of verbal abuse of the vilest nature. That is the higher place to be in that circumstance.

Again, as CCW permit holders we are now held to a higher standard. We should act accordingly under the circumstances.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

He is probably one of the people who thinks that he is one of the "professionals" and he should only be allowed to carry a weapon. Personally, i agree that it is sometimes hard to hold back on forums. But there will always be someone on the internet with a different oppinion then you, which he is entitled to. No matter how assinine(SP?) or ignorant it is.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post

+1 I totally agree.

Iím no longer an LEO but that does not mean Iím going to hang up my guns, and become a zombie.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links