Confused!!!

Confused!!!

This is a discussion on Confused!!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has any of yalls wives ever gotten mad or aggravated with you for getting on the forum all the time? because mine just did, she ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Confused!!!

Confused!!!

Has any of yalls wives ever gotten mad or aggravated with you for getting on the forum all the time?
    because mine just did, she said that she is tired of me talking about guns all the time and personal protection.
    she just told me that she wished that them people never tried to break in because since they did, guns and protection and being on this forum is all i ever do or talk about.
    i told her that ever since someone tried to break in that made me realize that i need to be more wary and mind my surroundings more and made me want to protect her and the baby.
    she talks like its a bad thing that i want to protect me and my family.
    "When you have to shoot, Shoot! Don't talk."

My wife is the same way. Some people just don't get it.

VIP Member
    My wife and I have lived peacefully for 20 years. It is both our second marriage. We have no children but take care of elderly family.

About a year ago, I asked her what sports or hobbies she might be interested in with me.

We have little in common on the TV. She likes re-runs, I like History channel.

I said I liked guns. She mentioned that she used to shoot.

Consequently, we took NRA shooting training courses together and each got our CCW endorsements.

I shoot at the range more than she does but she joins me often.

I am a range member and shoot for free for a yearly fee.

My wife is a bargain hunter and waits for the truck to arrive at WalMart.

She usually buys me a least 400 .22LR HP, 200 .45 ACP and 200-400 9mm hmj.

I could not as for a more caring person than my wife. She knows this is my passion. In turn, I try to make her happy with anything that she really likes.

If your wife does not like firearms, try something like golf or bowling with her.

The Idea is that you need to plant a seed and make her comfortable with what you want to do without acting consumed with the notion that you are going shooting every weekend or that you are going to purchase a new pistol on plastic whenever you feel like it.

Good luck to you!
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Jrod, don't feel bad my man. Alot of women feel the same way. I know you feel like yours is the only one that is giving you hell just because you like guns but believe me you are not by yourself. I had one (got rid of that one) that all she wanted to do was gossip, look & live in the past and go to church on Sundays(Morining & Afternoon Service) and Wednesday night bible study. I don't have that problem anymore

Think about how much time you REALLY spend online or dealing with security issues. We had an attempted break-in ourselves a few years ago, so I know what you're dealing with but you really have to take things in moderation sometimes. Online forums and home defense can become all consuming if you let it. Yes, it's critical to keep your family safe but you also have to keep them happy and stay involved in life outside of the online community.

My wife isn't interested in firearms or shooting but she also doesn't have a problem with me bringing home an occasional new gun or going to the shooting range from time to time. It's all about how connected you stay to family life.
    Jack

Just remember guys that you have to balance your life. It's important to protect the family but you want to have a family to protect. It's kinda bad when your husband is so into the internet that you can't carry on a conversation with him. Talk to her, tell her how much this means to you to be able to protect her and the kids, BUT, then make a deal that she gets your undivided attention for so many hours a night. This is from the woman's point of view so take it for whatever my .02 cents is worth. :)

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Im not married, but my girlfriend is a gun person. She doesnt CC, infact thats our only differance. I CC, she tolerates me CC, but thats about it. We often talk about firearms, but she kinda gets annoyed that I CC all the time. She though is a big believer in SA. We often eat out and while talking watch eachothers backs, and keep an eye out for any danger.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Ha! Are you sure you're not married to my wife? It'll be a year in September since I've been carrying...daily. She was resistant and against it for a long time. She's just finally come to accept it. Last night while getting ready for bed, I pulled off my holster and weapon and put them on the pants I was going to wear the next morning. She said, "I'm surprised you don't sleep with your gun. You have it on all the time." I just smiled and finished getting ready and went to bed. Give your wife time. Keep mum about it and only bring it up when necessary. And remember, you're not alone.
    III

My wife is the same. Alot of good advice here; take bits and pieces. However, as I look back, my wife has nearly always been right on. Tactics suck but the meaning is right on. Listen to her because she has a point. If she is picking up on it and mentioning it to you there are others who are tired of it as well but won't mention it to you. Like all cc, keep it to yourself, confess to no one, and keep your online time away from family time. If mama ain't happy, ain't no one happy.
    "I wish I would have done the hard things when they were easier to do."

I don't know you or your wife so forgive me if I wander of the path. My wife is not a gun person. Neither am I really. I carry any time I leave the house and I have a loaded gun near me 24 hours a day. I own several guns and also practice about three times a month. I do spend a bit of time on gun forums (the ones that don't suck anyway) but don't make it much of a topic of conversation. My wife knows why I carry and is neutral to supportive.

Perhaps your wife thinks you're a little bit obsessive about it. For my family I let the main topic of guns usually start with the others, then keep it brief.

There are any number of girly things I will endure because I love my wife, but there is a limit I can stand before my eyes roll back in my head. Women are the same way. Try keeping guns out of your conversations and out of the kitchen (cleaning). Though I don't hide the fact, I even strap on my holster in the bathroom (off the bedroom) rather than in front of my family. We always need to ask the question: "how's that working for ya". For me at least, it works well. Good luck.
    For the stength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack. - R. Kipling

Romans 1:22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools [professing to be smart, they made simpletons of themselves].

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    My wife is great. As far as the computer, it's in the living room at my recliner, I'm online most of the evening. We have different taste in TV programs, so frequently she'll watch TV in the bedroom, while I'm in the living room. If we watch the same program, then we're together. I join her for Leno at 11:30, and since we're both up late, that gives us a few hours together. She occasionally will go to the range, but only to familiarize herself with my guns, in case she should need to use one. She has no problems with my interest in guns, and while she doesn't buy ammo as SigP250's wife does, but then, she gave me an AK47 for Christmas last year. And when she asked me if there were other guns that I wanted to buy, I said yes, but it will have to wait until I get a job (laid off since 12/31). She then said, "Well, your birthday is coming up", which means that I may add one sooner than I thought. As I said, she's great.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    I know the feeling but try to seperate the two of family time and personal time.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Well, spouses like attention, and Iíve been married for over 20 years, so Iíve gotten use to that. When you think about it, regardless male or female, all us seem to be fascinated with a new diversion at first, and for you, that new diversion is firearms and personal security.

Over the years, Iíve had personal interest that includes fishing, hunting, boating, camping, Harleyís, Jeeps, and Photography. My wife has endured; all of my hobbyís and for the most part joined in with me.

So, my advice is for you to get her involved, take her to the range, on a week day so itís not crowded and less noise. And instead of chatting on this forum at home, do it during lunch at work. Or do like I do, I leave it as a small icon on my computer screen, and when Iím not busy I take click it open.

Quote Originally Posted by grandma4 View Post
    Just remember guys that you have to balance your life. It's important to protect the family but you want to have a family to protect. It's kinda bad when your husband is so into the internet that you can't carry on a conversation with him. Talk to her, tell her how much this means to you to be able to protect her and the kids, BUT, then make a deal that she gets your undivided attention for so many hours a night. This is from the woman's point of view so take it for whatever my .02 cents is worth. :)
    If my wife needs to speak to me she can just "PM" me.......

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
    If my wife needs to speak to me she can just "PM" me.......
    hahaha, hey now that is how I would be. Good for her and you!
    I'm single now and have decided that I like it that way so my time spent online or with my gun is my time and I don't have to share.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links