CHP Overdue

This is a discussion on CHP Overdue within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, I'm new here. I've been reading all of the good information in these posts while I wait for my CHP to be issued. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CHP Overdue

CHP Overdue

Hello all,
    I'm new here. I've been reading all of the good information in these posts while I wait for my CHP to be issued. In Va, the commonwealth is supposed to to issue or deny within 45 days. Today is day 45.
    I just called the clerk's office to check status and was told they are "backed up" - sorry. I asked about the "defacto permit" the clerk is supposed to send if after 45 days the application has not been processed. I was told I'd have to come in and get it - "but not until next Tues, when the lady who prepares them is in".
    I feel bad for feeling impatient when I read of those in other states who have to wait 7+ months! But at the same time, I'm annoyed that Arlington county govt. gets away with failing to comply with the rules.
    Any other Arlingtonians out there? What was your experience or recomendations? Thanks.

-Semper Fi

2. Remove Ads

I'm sorry to hear about your delay. But delay is better than denial. My local city is required by state law to accept and process applications, but they won't. Someone will have to get around to suing them. I just went to the County Sheriff instead, but if i had time I'd make an issue of it myself.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

You need to live in a smaller county here in bland it took about three weeks.

Or a large city where it took 15 days.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    I am on day 67 here in Texas. Technically I should have had mine by day 60, but there is a huge backlog. I expect to have mine around day 90 or so. :(

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdinnie View Post
    Hello all,
    I'm new here. I've been reading all of the good information in these posts while I wait for my CHP to be issued. In Va, the commonwealth is supposed to to issue or deny within 45 days. Today is day 45.
    I just called the clerk's office to check status and was told they are "backed up" - sorry. I asked about the "defacto permit" the clerk is supposed to send if after 45 days the application has not been processed. I was told I'd have to come in and get it - "but not until next Tues, when the lady who prepares them is in".
    I feel bad for feeling impatient when I read of those in other states who have to wait 7+ months! But at the same time, I'm annoyed that Arlington county govt. gets away with failing to comply with the rules.
    Any other Arlingtonians out there? What was your experience or recomendations? Thanks.

-Semper Fi
    There isn't really too much you can do, you might however contact VCDL and let them know your county isn't following the law. They have a tendency of lighting fires under peoples feet to remind them of what the law says.

You Guys Are Lucky!

Mine took over 100+ days! It was supposed to be less than ninety. I guess it wasn't so bad considering the new administration and the anxiety of people. I was told by the CWP instructor that just after the election, their CWP sign up sheet tripled in size! Can't imagine why!

Va. Beach turn around time is 10 days.
    Do whatever floats your boat, but don't dare to try and sink mine.

They'll come around

Hi folks, long time lurker, but this is my first post......

mdinnie, fellow Arlingtonian here. I was in the same situation back in December. I applied the second week of November which made me nervous since my 45 days would be right in line with the holidays. Like you, I preemptively called and got the same response. I followed my first phone call up with two others on the following days. On both of those days I was told the judge still hadn't signed. Magically, when I called the fourth time the judge had found it in his/her heart to set aside 2 1/2 seconds to sign a document. When all was said and done I believe I picked it up about a week past the 45 day cutoff. Like you, I also didn't think it was too terribly bad compared to what others on this board experience.

My take on it is they're not going to go out of their way to accomodate their timeline. Being just across the river from the kool-aid factory and propoganda machine doesn't help inspire any urgency. I believe they will respond to someone who is proactive.

You could so what archer51 mentioned as well. For me though, they were cooperative and understanding when I called. It was a matter of a paperwork drill for someone to put it in the judge's inbox.

90 days! OMG....this is getting scary. I hope Renton WA doesn't take that long.
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

The sitting president has done more for gun sales and permit applications than any in the history of this country. Not through any actions he made, but through actions he is going to make. Be patient. Texas time lines have almost doubled since May of last year. I put in a change of address on July 15th 2008. I received my replacement permit on September 30th... over two months when there was no background check to do.

Just relish in the fact that your delay is because of many more Americans expressing their 2nd amendment rights.
    NRA Instructor

NRA Endowment Member

Be a mentor to the youth of our communities.
    Show them the way to shoot for the moon.
    If they miss, push them to reach out for a star.
    If any gang banger punks try to divert their attention...
    show them the light as well.

VIP Member
    You may try sending a polite letter to this man. VCDL indicates he would like to know when courts are not following the rules.

Chief Justice
    Supreme Court of Virginia
    100 North Ninth Street, Fifth Floor
    Richmond, VA 23219

Thanks everyone.
    I've just sent my payment to VCDL. They are a good resource.
    I'm torn whether I should I raise much of a stink - I'm kinda a low profile guy.
    I'll just go and pickup my defacto permit on Tues. I'll grumble to myself on the way there but I probably won't be too activist - I'm sorry.

btw, here is my setup :
    Ruger GP100 4" (yeah, I'm old skool) Ruger GP100*Double Action*Revolver (GP-141) Overview
    Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake (holster) Leather Gun Holster, Concealed carry holster, Simply Rugged!", Proudly made in Alaska
    HKS Speed Loader speedloaders
    Wilderness Instructor Belt (added stiffness, in Coyote color) Wilderness Tactical Products, LLC

My VA permit took 3 weeks in January 2008. I called Florida today about my non-resident permit that was mailed the middle of March and was told that they are still working on mid-January and to expect another 60 or more days.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post
    90 days! OMG....this is getting scary. I hope Renton WA doesn't take that long.

Don't know about in King County but here in Snohomish county it took all of 12 calendar days which equated to about 8 business days - sorry to hear about your delays mdinnie
    Manicures: $40
    Pedicures: $60
    Range time + ammo: $50
    Quality mother/daughter time: PRICELESS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links