Carry while boating?

Carry while boating?

This is a discussion on Carry while boating? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering if since I have a CPL can I carry while on my boat? Some waters like inland lakes (less then 2 miles ...

Thread: Carry while boating?

Carry while boating?

I was wondering if since I have a CPL can I carry while on my boat? Some waters like inland lakes (less then 2 miles wide) and rivers are controlled by local sheriff but if I go to the great lakes they are controlled by the Coast Guard. Would that fall under federal property like the national parks, post office, and federal buildings?

This question may be specific for Michigan but I think it involves every state as the Coast Guard has control over any lake or body of water that is 2 miles or greater in width.

Anyone know the answer to this or how I might be able to contact the Coast Guard in MI for the answer?

I'm sure this has been asked before so I searched all that came up was generic info. So if this has been answered just post a link.

Thats a good question, I'm actually going to go boating tomorrow but in WA and in the Puget Sound. Honestly, I've never even thought about if it would be ok to carry on a boat. Although, I'm not going to worry about it.

I believe the verdict was that if you stay in MI waters you're fine. You really don't want to wander into Wisconsin or Canada. Not all Federal property is off limits, anyway (and just being patrolled by or in the USCG area of operations does not make it Federally controlled property, BTW)....National Forests are fine to carry in accordance with whatever state laws apply.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Call the USCG Traverse City SAR (Search & Rescue) and ask them directly, or call the district office that serves the Great Lakes.

Cleveland, OH District Nine Command Center
    (Great Lakes) 216-902-6118/ 6117

Hope this helps.

Side Note: If the CG boards your vessel (they can and may) on Lake MI, you most likely will not remain armed during the boarding...you'll have very little to say on this matter.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I don't know about carrying a gun in a boat, but the USCG only has control over water that are in two or more states or borders the USA.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Yes you can carry on the water in Michigan with a CPL. If you're on Lake St Clair, stay out of Canadian waters.
    A good friend of mine is in the USCG and tells me carrying is permitted with the CPL. You may be stopped by the USCG Border Patrol or local Marine Sherrif, remember to disclose as required by MI law.
    Inland lakes should be no problem.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    We in Minnesota have a special "PROBLEM". The Mississippi river between us and Wisconson. THe water patrol on both sides claim all the waters from shore to shore. Both sides, especialy the no carry any place any time Wisconson state side, Make it their goal to stop and board or at least check over all boats from the opposing state. It's nothing but a money making game with significant impact on those that are CCW. Still waiting for someone to take a case to a higher court to get a decision on where the state line should really be drawn, if at all.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

tag
    Quote Originally Posted by BIKERIDER View Post
    I don't know about carrying a gun in a boat, but the USCG only has control over water that are in two or more states or borders the USA.
    Absolutly wrong.

"Its core roles are to protect the public, the environment, and U.S. economic and security interests in any maritime region in which those interests may be at risk, including international waters and America's coasts, ports, and inland waterways."
    YOU are the weapon, your firearm is just a tool!

Every time I've been boarded out of Oregon Inlet OBX, they have ALWAYS asked if there are any weapons on board and where and why do we have them. The answer is always "To dispatch a green fish before we haul it aboard". Never been a problem but I don't recall anybody concealing on their person but these weapons are usually concealed in a compartment.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    We in Minnesota have a special "PROBLEM". The Mississippi river between us and Wisconson. THe water patrol on both sides claim all the waters from shore to shore. Both sides, especialy the no carry any place any time Wisconson state side, Make it their goal to stop and board or at least check over all boats from the opposing state. It's nothing but a money making game with significant impact on those that are CCW. Still waiting for someone to take a case to a higher court to get a decision on where the state line should really be drawn, if at all.
    I thought the last inter-state border dispute was settle during the Michigan-Ohio War...That's just crazy to not have precisely defined borders this day and age...
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I have never even thought about it. I carry almost everywhere I go, including in my boat. I live around where alot of tourist congregate and they are always causing trouble. Never had to pull my gun yet, thank God, but I dont feel it safe to go out with out it. Including my boat.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    The gun is still legal, just have to open carry or unload and case it for Wis legal.

Legal in Oregon, and I bring it every time. Being in the middle of a big lake can be a bit scary if you're approached by strangers -- especially if your engine died, or you were out of gas. You have no where to go, so I'd be incredibly glad I was armed in such an incident...

So glad summer is almost here!
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

You can carry with your CPL as long as your in U.S. waters on the great lakes. Inland waters are also okay. If D.N.R. or C.G. become involved, you must disclose immediately per state law.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Sponsored Links