Colorado Gov Vetos NICS bypass

This is a discussion on Colorado Gov Vetos NICS bypass within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by TonyW OK, to play the devil's advocate, what is wrong with them running the check when a permit holder purchases a gun? ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Colorado Gov Vetos NICS bypass

Quote Originally Posted by TonyW View Post
    OK, to play the devil's advocate, what is wrong with them running the check when a permit holder purchases a gun? As a legitimate permit holder you are going to pass, the check is instant (?) and it is a relatively unobtrusive way to keep guns from people that may be lying and trying to get around purchase laws. Like any other ID card a permit card can be forged.
    Here we get charged a $25 background check fee for it. Irritating, because even CCW holders have to pay it for transfers.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyW View Post
    OK, to play the devil's advocate, what is wrong with them running the check when a permit holder purchases a gun?
    1. As minor as it may be, it is an infringement.
    2. NICS costs money, which raises the price of everyone's guns.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Quote Originally Posted by itowbigtruck View Post
    Voted!

I'm just trying to figure out why the Navy Investigators have to get involved.

( I assume you mean NCIC)

Roger
    That should be good for a "smack" upside the head!!!

Voted...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

VIP Member

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    ....NICS costs money, which raises the price of everyone's guns.
    Including the cost (payroll, etc) of having to make the call, etc. when the store's employee could working at something productive.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Looks like we're winning by an 11% margin now.

In response to forging a carry permit: normal background checks do nothing to prevent use of forged documentation. You could copy someone's driver's license who looked about like you, and then pass the normal NICS check even as a felon.

Very silly. Many states already forgo NICS checks for CCP holders. Same with law enforcement, active military, and a few other categories.

Florida is one of those states. You're also exempt from the waiting period here if you have your carry permit.

Do you agree with Gov. Ritter's decision to veto a bill that would have exempted some gun buyers from background checks?

Total Votes = 2323

Yes 43.52 %

No 54.75 %

Not sure 1.721 %

This is one that I have mixed feelings on. While I agree permit holders have already passed a background check, it may not have been recent and I have known of at least one permit holder who was denied on a NICS check. I have no idea what the reason was, but likely something had occured since his permit was issued and for some reason it had not been pulled.
    NRA life member.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    done

voted.

results?
    Do you agree with Gov. Ritter's decision to veto a bill that would have exempted some gun buyers from background checks? Read the story.
    Total Votes = 2938
    Yes
    43.19 %
    No
    55.10 %
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Mixed feelings?

This is one that I have mixed feelings on. While I agree permit holders have already passed a background check, it may not have been recent and I have known of at least one permit holder who was denied on a NICS check. I have no idea what the reason was, but likely something had occured since his permit was issued and for some reason it had not been pulled.
    You have mixed feelings on the 2nd Amendment?

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Or how about this:

"The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property...shall not be called into question."

Colorado State Constitution
    Article II, Section 13

Seems pretty straightforward to me.

No offense intended. Just my opinion.
    The 2nd Amendment is my gun permit.
    Issue Date: Dec. 15, 1791
    Expiration Date: NEVER

So is it ok to allow murderers or pycho's to purchase guns? How do you "check" for that? I think a background check is very much needed and well worth the 15mins (average). To a degree of what it takes to "fail" said check is where things get annoying.....

ETA: and like another said...in Idaho a CWP trumps the background check. Simply fill out form, note lic#, pay, and go.
    ((Place funny, whitty comment here))

No mixed feelings on the 2nd amendment. And no mixed feeling about the right of felons from owning a firearm, I don't think they should own firearms as personally I think they gave up that right when they commited the felony.

The mixed feeling is on if a permit should be used instead of a background check. In my own case, I have had a concealed carry permit for over 40 years. That means that the background check was done over 40 years ago. I'm sure that many other permit background checks were done several years ago and a lot could change in that time. As I also said, I have seen someone denied who was a permit holder so it's likely that person had something to occur since the permit background check.

No offense was taken, just felt you should have an honest response as to why I said I have mixed feelings on that issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardien View Post
    You have mixed feelings on the 2nd Amendment?

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Or how about this:

"The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property...shall not be called into question."

Colorado State Constitution
    Article II, Section 13

Seems pretty straightforward to me.

No offense intended. Just my opinion.
    NRA life member.

Done.
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

The instant background check is not instant in Colorado.
    Go to a gun show and purchase a weapon. It may take an hour or 72 hours to get approval. if you get the long 72 hour delay, the gun show is over and the seller may be a hundred miles away. You also get another back ground check when you renew your permit. So Ritters argument is hog wash.
    I will vote against Ritter again in the next election.

Semper Fi

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links